Belmar

IMG_5141.gif

That Soto tho

• Haha
Reactions: mdj12784

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I really don't care about the loss, but if he lets Kahkonen walk and instead gives up assets to trade for a goalie that might or might not be marginally better, Fitz is totally lost. KK never got a chance and was treated like total trash from the first second. And all he did was play really well.

If Fitz gets that oh so great goalie he seemingly thinks he needs, he can always trade KK or even waive him. There would be takers, unless he is signed to a contract that is way too wealthy. Give him 2-3 years at 2,5 or s.th. like that and go into next season with him and Allen and goaltending will not be the problem. But no, we need an old Markstrom.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Another loss. 1 more game and thankfully we get a long break...will be there Monday tho. I want that Meier bobblehead and hopefully a win to close out the season. Still pretty bummed about this year. Just need the Rags out of the playoffs ASAP and then we can atleast enjoy the playoffs somewhat. Just getting tired of this team missing it year after year 😪

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I really don't care about the loss, but if he lets Kahkonen walk and instead gives up assets to trade for a goalie that might or might not be marginally better, Fitz is totally lost. KK never got a chance and was treated like total trash from the first second. And all he did was play really well.

If Fitz gets that oh so great goalie he seemingly thinks he needs, he can always trade KK or even waive him. There would be takers, unless he is signed to a contract that is way too wealthy. Give him 2-3 years at 2,5 or s.th. like that and go into next season with him and Allen and goaltending will not be the problem. But no, we need an old Markstrom.
people here have been very dismissive about re-signing him since he arrived and i don’t know why.

the goalie tandem we have now seems to give us a chance to win most nights. i’ll take ‘things that haven’t been said about this team in decades’ for $600.

edit- full disclosure, i didn’t watch the game last night. i’m assuming he had another good game.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Allen and KK are giving chances game after game.
And its really bad management to spend second round pick for one year and right after that spending first round pick and may be more good assets for other goalie.

And there there no chances Saros or Markstrom(who isn't good at all now after hot start, his last two months are bad and he is 34 yo) or Ullmark will help to defend and score in games like vs flyers. But losing assets and cap pressure will make it harder.

Like I love to tell about it - its a panic move in actual circumstances to trade for "top goalie".

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
people here have been very dismissive about re-signing him since he arrived and i don’t know why.

the goalie tandem we have now seems to give us a chance to win most nights. i’ll take ‘things that haven’t been said about this team in decades’ for $600.

edit- full disclosure, i didn’t watch the game last night. i’m assuming he had another good game.
Small sample size. Also, the Devils have been better defensively lately (while also forgetting how to score). KK's numbers probably wouldn't be this good if the defense was as bad as it was before.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
People are dismissive of him signing here because we know Fitz was going after bigger fish, and because we traded Vitek for him. Look, I'd admire Fitzgerald if he went into his 5th full season as GM with Allen and Kahkonen as his goaltenders, even after poor goaltending submarined 3 of the seasons he was here, but it just doesn't seem like it is going to work out that way. He has tried to upgrade the goaltending in 3 of the off-seasons he was here.

Reactions: Bleedred

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
People are dismissive of him signing here because we know Fitz was going after bigger fish, and because we traded Vitek for him. Look, I'd admire Fitzgerald if he went into his 5th full season as GM with Allen and Kahkonen as his goaltenders, even after poor goaltending submarined 3 of the seasons he was here, but it just doesn't seem like it is going to work out that way. He has tried to upgrade the goaltending in 3 of the off-seasons he was here.
As good as Kahkonen has been, its too small of a sample size to take the risk of keeping him. Fitz is not going to risk another season of goaltending costing us - he basically has to go for a big fish.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's Grandad Rock now mate.
Have to say you are correct and i fit the mold to a tee. All the "Real" classic rock bands you threw out here on on my record cabinet shelves. Hundreds of them. If not on my shelves, in my computer music files. Strats with Buddy Holly and Roy Orbison and moves through The Beatles, Stones, and the rest of the British Invasion (as it was called in the US) and proceeds through the late 60's early 70's psychedelic rock, heavy rock, etc. It would take me a long time and a huge amount of this thread to list all those artisits. However, even though some of those artists extended beyond that time and were still selling lots of music the stuff that followed those groups and individuals does not classify as "Classic Rock" to me. As every decade the passes, the top sellers of that period are added to the "Classic Rock Radio" station playlists. It's become a label that doesn't actually fit the original title.

Just the opinion of a music buff from the time period when music originally got that label. There should be other labels for what followed. It has been a lot of good stuff, but it's not from the "Classic Rock" time frame.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not to mention if you keep KK based on five games you’re either getting rid of a more accomplished backup to do it, or making said backup the starter and counting on two big question marks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's too risky to go with both next year.

Unless our only option is John Gibson. At that point just keep both of these guys, as neither are any worse than Gibson. And they may actually be better than him.

And neither are signed for 3 more years like Gibson. Even if Anaheim retains almost all of Gibson's salary for the remainder of the deal, we shouldn't touch him.

Gibson, much like Travis Green, is someone that I don't think anyone on here actually wants. The only reason I bring up Gibson is because his name was mentioned earlier in the year when we were looking for a goalie upgrade.

The thing with Kahkonen is that he just had one of the better years of his career. His underlying numbers in Minnesota were really not good. Minnesota up until probably this year has made their goalies look really good for a long time. Devan Dubnyk had elite numbers there for years, but his underlyings were not that good. They were down there with his Edmonton numbers, which got him run out of town pretty quickly. This is why I think most never took Dubnyk seriously or considered him an elite. Because Minnesota propped him up.

Kahkonen's 22-23 was as bad or worse than Vitek's 23-24 if you believe that.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
CDs? CDs are modern technology when compared to 8 tracks!
dude..... the who @ MLG 1982! :laugh:

Saw those guys in Rochester in 1970. Stood on a chair with my future wife directly in front of Peter Townsend. Everything I heard for a week afterwards seemed to be in some kind of sound vacuum.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I've never seen Holtz forecheck the way Clarke just did
It must be a cyborg of Clarke. We have never seen him forecheck in Utica beyond a swing-by with an errant stick swipe at the puck. His concept of playing the body is to reach out with one hand and touch the guy.If he is in a board battle it's because the opponent trapped him against the boards and when it's over he is usually down on the ice.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They could have fixed this before Travis Green took over.

This is a Travis Green SPECIAL. This is merely a CONSTANT since he took over.

The only thing that can fix this is FIRING Travis Green

Get the STINK out of the locker room with this guy.

I don't even want him as an assistant here next year, as I think he had A LOT to do with what went wrong this year. And not that he's completely taken over the role of head coach, the team is completely and utterly f***ed up beyond all recognition.

I don't know how this guy survived as long as he did in Vancouver, other than Jim Benning is a LEGENDARY bad general manager. Jim Benning is easily as bad of a GM as Travis Green is a head coach.
Benning is much much worse. So, now you must see how bad Benning actually was!

• Haha

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone will tell me I'm reading too far into this and I probably am, but I find it interesting how the team didn't have a practice today, nor the day in between the Toronto and Philly games, especially with the Philly game being an early start with no morning skate. And they didn't even have a practice on the travel day to Toronto, despite being off the day before Tuesday's Toronto game at home.

''The team is eliminated! What's the point in practicing?''. Yeah, good point, but I figured this staff would try to earn some points and goodwill with management by making the players go out there and work till the last minute with junktime practices lol. So maybe Green knows he's a goner?

By the way, I'm not saying I have a problem with the players not practicing today and having a day off before they're permanently off on Tuesday. I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, I'm glad they get to spend less time around Travis Green than they absolutely have to, which is only when the games are happening.

This isn't me bitching about the team not practicing. This is me hoping it's some kind of a sign and grasping to hold onto something that this staff has accepted their fates, and probably even long ago.

Unless the call came from upstairs to not bother putting the players on the ice for the last week of the season/since we got eliminated, other than for the games. We weren't yet eliminated on Monday, which was a day off after a back to back. But we haven't had a practice (other than the morning skates) since we've been eliminated.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not gonna tell you in this thread what I was chanting the entire time the goalie was pulled.

By the way, Graeme Clarke BLOWS. I don't understand why people like this guy.

He's not an NHL player.
I have been saying that for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad