Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Eh maybe not arvidsson specifically but they def missed the scoring punch they thought they’d have from him.

Regardless it’s pretty tight…. Maybe they can make it work I guess we’ll see

Roy led the team in blocks and 2nd in hits, plays over 20 mins a game, +21 rating, and can chip in some points (25 points this season). All those reasons why he'd be good in a Ducks uni is the same reason why the Kings should re-sign him. We should know better in giving away/gave away top-4 D-men. lol

If anything, they gotta wonder why they have two magicians on the team in Fiala and PLD b/c both disappeared in the playoffs... Well, PLD wasn't much during the reg season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Of course he wants a longer term deal. What 31 Y/O doesn't? The question is how far will anyone go in their offer. He will probably take the deal with the most total dollars, especially if the $$ is mostly paid in the earlier years.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
That Winnipeg system brings pause to my interest in DeMelo. I think i'd prefer other options over him. Pesce the crown jewel, Roy brings more offense and Walker would be my preferred "more realistic" target.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Wild idea that came across my mind: would you trade Gibson+ for Saros?

Saros has only one year left, so it's a gamble. He's a tad cheaper than Gibson, though, and far from wash up. Nashville will have to find a new goalie next summer anyway, as Saros allegedly won't re-sign with Nashville and they will get into rebuild mode pretty soon, which means tearing down team first to get good prospects. We're two steps ahead of that and could offer Saros the exact money Gibson has, plus the prospect of having meaningful seasons in contention from, say, 2026 onwards.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro

Saros has only one year left, so it's a gamble. He's a tad cheaper than Gibson, though, and far from wash up. Nashville will have to find a new goalie next summer anyway, as Saros allegedly won't re-sign with Nashville and they will get into rebuild mode pretty soon, which means tearing down team first to get good prospects. We're two steps ahead of that and could offer Saros the exact money Gibson has, plus the prospect of having meaningful seasons in contention from, say, 2026 onwards.
Why? Our goalie situation is pretty good even without Gibson. I do like Saros, but it's not like we're struggling because our goalies aren't good enough.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Firstly, we would have to add quite a bit to Gibson to make that happen. Definitely not worth it for a guy who might not even want to stay here. Secondly, the reason they would even entertain trading Saros is because they have Askarov coming in, and Gibson would just block him for even longer.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Gibson isn’t going anywhere this upcoming season but will be bought out next summer IMO
Same with Fowler, we probably drop Fowler down to a 2nd/3rd pairing and hope he regains his trade value a little. Try and trade him next off season. If not we buy him out also

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I give it 50/30/20 odds that Gibby stays through his contract/plays well enough this upcoming season to get traded/gets bought out, respectively.

I give it a 3-5% chance that Cam is bought out or traded unless he himself demands it.

There's no way Pat is going to waste ~$3mil of dead space during 3 key years for a player that the org currently trusts to play 25 minutes a night. It's just not happening.

Reactions: Yemeth and dracom

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd speculate that Cam finishes his contract here with a possible TDL deal in his last year. Gibby I'd say is 100% not finishing his contract here unless getting bought out counts as finishing his contract. But I see no buyout sooner than next summer if then. With an even higher cap next summer maybe somebody takes a chance on him at 50% for 2 more years without adding any sweeteners.

Reactions: Yemeth

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So is Laine on anyone’s radar. Probably on Toronto’s, but do we take a chance if we can move some pieces.

I’m guessing Edmonton’s 1st and Gibson would be a good move, but that is probably not getting traction with Columbus.

John

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So is Laine on anyone’s radar. Probably on Toronto’s, but do we take a chance if we can move some pieces.

I’m guessing Edmonton’s 1st and Gibson would be a good move, but that is probably not getting traction with Columbus.

John
I've thought about it. There are a lot of questions regarding him. Cost to acquire, why is he in the PAP and could it be something that could recur, is he committed to playing a 200 ft game? I honestly don't know what's going on with him so I think it's really hard to gauge interest.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
can we please just make a trade for a proven player that doesn't need to be fixed or changed? can't we just get a player that's just good?
We can. We just have to find the player that will be good when we are and not have to give up too many assets.

It is a delicate situation as there are probably a number of overpaid wingers that were considered a good choice at one time.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad