GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (16-13-2, 34 Pts) vs. Detroit Red Wings (16-13-4, 36 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Never understood the focus on ice conditions. The other team is playing on the same surface, it’s not like the devils are uniquely disadvantaged.

It's a huge problem especially a team like the Devils that don't dump and chase. Pucks bobbling on you limit certain things you can do and bog down your game into something super simple. Yeah the other team has to play through it as well but the Red Wings on a B2B rather a slow game than a back and forth one

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd take my chances with Lemaire if that's what they want to do
He's over there working for Lou, just like all the former Devils people and employees like MacLean, Kowalsky, Terreri, and I'm sure I'm missing several more. Conte if he hasn't retired yet.

They even got Cory Schneider over there working on TV in a part time role.

I'd bet my life that Scott Stevens was offered a role in some capacity, but turned it down, as it doesn't seem like he's into the coaching thing or at least not if he has to be far from home, which that's far enough that he would have to get a place out there. He left the Wild after a year of being an assistant there because he said he missed his family in Jersey.

Wouldn't be surprised if Andy Greene and Travis Zajac were both offered roles over there. Patty too, who likely turned it down because he didn't want it. He even turned down a role on our staff because he didn't wanna do it full time, if I'm not mistaken.

Funny thing is that Lou even took Lemaire to Toronto with him, where he didn't get to bring all of his people over like he has with the Islanders. He may have been the only one who followed him over there, before most the entire band was brought back together and reuinited on Long Island.

We got to Marty about a year before Lou even came to the Islanders. I bet he would have tried to bring him aboard too.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Was at the game with my Dad. Glad we got the win as it was a pretty entertaining game but it's honestly a game we had to win. Detroit icing a 3rd string goalie and playing on a back to back. It's nice they got a win going into Christmas but there is alot of work to be done once they return to action. Always fun to have a come from behind win but also stressful at times lol. I'm not taking too much from this win given we played a 3rd string goalie and a team traveling on the 2nd night of a back to back. I really hope we can start piling some wins after the break. The offense isn't producing like it normally has over the last 5 games or so but I don't mind a somewhat low scoring 3 to 2 win at all. This season will be a grind but it's almost halfway and they still are in the thick of things even though at times it has felt the sky is falling.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
The goal that made it 2-1 was not a good one.

And that penalty in the 3rd was also after he got scrambly and everybody panicked.

He had some luck on his side with the post hit/missed open net on the same shift during what I think was the ensuing power play. He probably should have stopped the second goal and got scored on during that power play.

When you're playing as bad as he's played this year, those breaks sometimes happen, because it's kind of hard to play too much worse than he has.

Although, he's still not been Jon Gillies bad, who had an .885% on an expected .905%. He has an .885% (or .883% coming into this game) on an expected .892% or .893%.

I think spicy pork douchebag also had an .882% or something on an expected .905% here.
Give him a break, he made a great stop that uplifted the team. He got a W. All goals are not his fault but he is in the net Like the first one tonight. I am not saying he is a great goalie or a good one but he doing more than he was hired to do, that was being a backup goalie. The problem as we have discussed is no one better has been nor is available. We traded our D to play youth in that position. It takes year's to develop a good D man. What team with a chance to make a run for the Cup trades away experience. We did to get Luke Hughes who makes tons of defensive mistakes that costs us games but we love his offense. We have two other young D players that are the same. Their D Partners have to pick up the slack because of this and that is not happening so our backup goalie playing as a Starter gets screwed. Any good coach knows this but must depend on help there are three young D to teach. Introducing Travis Green. Hello Have I summed up the issue?

Have a Merry everyone. CBJ a win, book it.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
He's over there working for Lou, just like all the former Devils people and employees like MacLean, Kowalsky, Terreri, and I'm sure I'm missing several more. Conte if he hasn't retired yet.

I'd bet my life that Scott Stevens was offered a role in some capacity, but turned it down, as it doesn't seem like he's into the coaching thing or at least not if he has to be far from home, which that's far enough that he would have to get a place out there. He left the Wild after a year of being an assistant there because he said he missed his family in Jersey.

Wouldn't be surprised if Andy Greene and Travis Zajac were both offered roles over there. Patty too, who likely turned it down because he didn't want it. He even turned down a role on our staff because he didn't wanna do it full time, if I'm not mistaken.

Funny thing is that Lou even took Lemaire to Toronto with him, where he didn't get to bring all of his people over like he has with the Islanders. He may have been the only one who followed him over there, before most the entire band was brought back together and reuinited on Long Island.
Zajac has some role where he helps out but is probably collecting an easy pay check. We shouldn't be in any hurry to throw those guys into a coaching role at the NHL level yet. Look how long it took Johnny Mac to get there. He still is in the NHL so it's not like he isn't decent and can't stick there. Brylin put some time in for a bit before getting up to the NHL for his coaching position.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Zajac has some role where he helps out but is probably collecting an easy pay check. We shouldn't be in any hurry to throw those guys into a coaching role at the NHL level yet. Look how long it took Johnny Mac to get there. He still is in the NHL so it's not like he isn't decent and can't stick there. Brylin put some time in for a bit before getting up to the NHL for his coaching position.

MacLean's actually been running their powerplay which is pretty good, gotta give Lou credit for sticking with that one. He could've easily told MacLean to f*** off for a second time :laugh:

Reactions: Guadana

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

We got to Marty about a year before Lou even came to the Islanders. I bet he would have tried to bring him aboard too.
What has Marty done for the Devils hockey skating team? seriously what has he done, recruiting a goalie, helping our goalies, help me understand this piece? Thanks

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
i knew a girl from columbus. best thing to come out of that city.
IMG_4440.gif

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Was at the game with my Dad. Glad we got the win as it was a pretty entertaining game but it's honestly a game we had to win. Detroit icing a 3rd string goalie and playing on a back to back. It's nice they got a win going into Christmas but there is alot of work to be done once they return to action. Always fun to have a come from behind win but also stressful at times lol. I'm not taking too much from this win given we played a 3rd string goalie and a team traveling on the 2nd night of a back to back. I really hope we can start piling some wins after the break. The offense isn't producing like it normally has over the last 5 games or so but I don't mind a somewhat low scoring 3 to 2 win at all. This season will be a grind but it's almost halfway and they still are in the thick of things even though at times it has felt the sky is falling.

I was there tonight too my 5th game and 1st win! Yeah as soon as Detroit made it 1-0 I heard a few "Fire Lindy" chants. It was just few fans. Another quick one and it was going to go from 6 to 16,000 lol. Been down on the team like everyone else but, felt good about what I was watching even after Detroit went up 2-1. Going to be a much merrier Christmas in Devilsland now. Happy for Timo and Tafoli. They needed that big time.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Was at the game with my Dad. Glad we got the win as it was a pretty entertaining game but it's honestly a game we had to win. Detroit icing a 3rd string goalie and playing on a back to back. It's nice they got a win going into Christmas but there is alot of work to be done once they return to action. Always fun to have a come from behind win but also stressful at times lol. I'm not taking too much from this win given we played a 3rd string goalie and a team traveling on the 2nd night of a back to back. I really hope we can start piling some wins after the break. The offense isn't producing like it normally has over the last 5 games or so but I don't mind a somewhat low scoring 3 to 2 win at all. This season will be a grind but it's almost halfway and they still are in the thick of things even though at times it has felt like the sky is falling.
We are not producing enough goals to offset the D and goalie mistakes! Last year they did but they didn't have the three young D playing in the same game. These young D need teachers, there is Ruff, and there is Ruff and there is Ruff that is three.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What has Marty done for the Devils hockey skating team? seriously what has he done, recruiting a goalie, helping our goalies, help me understand this piece? Thanks
Marty’s original role was more on the business side.

Currently he is the head of hockey operations and appears to be second in command to Fitz but, my opinion, he’s likely more about the vibes and philosophy than the day to day. It also wouldn’t surprise me if he is a bit of an owners conduit too.

The Devils have an assistant GM but Marty ranks above him on the team directory.

I don’t think Marty gets involved with the day to day of the goalies either. It doesn’t appear he’s interested in that type of hands on nature with the players and I assume he made the clear before switching for a business role to a more hybrid role.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
We are not producing enough goals to offset the D and goalie mistakes! Last year they did but they didn't have the three young D playing in the same game. These young D need teachers, there is Ruff, and there is Ruff and there is Ruff that is three.
Yeah the loss of Severson and Graves was sure to be felt. There was alot of turnover with Sharangovich , Zetterlund , Okhotiuk , Tatar , Wood , Boqvist going out as well. None of those forwards were really core players but Sharangovich and Zetterlund in my eyes were keepers. You have to give to get and they brought in upgrades , the kind of players to help really potentially put the Devils on another level. Sharanogivch had a very disappointing playoff though and barley made it into games. The Devils are still very strong and deep on offense without those guys. It's the loss of Severson and Graves that is harder to overcome. The growing pains of having Hughes , Nemec & Bahl are going to be there but it's good to know their best hockey is still on the horizon. The Devils last year really had such a great team in pretty much every major facet of the game , even with average goaltending we still set a franchise record for points.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When he was first brought in back in 2018 I don’t think he had anything to do with hockey ops. I don’t think it was until Shero was fired that he was brought into hockey ops.

It seems him and Scott Clemmensen (who I think has the title of goalie development coach, I think he works with every goalie in the organization, even the ones that are still over in Europe and the guys that have yet to turn pro) have a goalie committee (which every team probably has in some form or another) and Marty definitely brought in Rogalski, who he knew from his time in St. Louis and after being in the dark on Melanson’s removal as goalie coach, Marty confirmed on a podcast that they “Cleaned up” the goalie coaching position and brought in Rogalski, who has been a real dud.

Other than that, I’m not sure exactly what Marty does, but I often times think that he’ll be the next GM of the team, which I hope he isn’t.

And that could be in 2 years or it could be 10 years. Maybe if it’s 10 years he may not want it by then or we’ll have a candidate we don’t even know about at this point.

He’s definitely a front office person though, which teams have many different members of their front office.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Yeah the loss of Severson and Graves was sure to be felt. There was alot of turnover with Sharangovich , Zetterlund , Okhotiuk , Tatar , Wood , Boqvist going out as well. None of those forwards were really core players but Sharangovich and Zetterlund in my eyes were keepers. You have to give to get and they brought in upgrades , the kind of players to help really potentially put the Devils on another level. Sharanogivch had a very disappointing playoff though and barley made it into games. The Devils are still very strong and deep on offense without those guys. It's the loss of Severson and Graves that is harder to overcome. The growing pains of having Hughes , Nemec & Bahl are going to be there but it's good to know their best hockey is still on the horizon. The Devils last year really had such a great team in pretty much every major facet of the game , even with average goaltending we still set a franchise record for points.
Hooray, you get it. Thank you. Defense suffers, not enough goal for to offset the goals against caused by youthful mistakes and weak goal tending.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
When he was first brought in back in 2018 I don’t think he had anything to do with hockey ops. I don’t think it was until Shero was fired that he was brought into hockey ops.

It seems him and Scott Clemmensen (who I think has the title of goalie development coach, I think he works with every goalie in the organization, even the ones that are still over in Europe and the guys that have yet to turn pro) have a goalie committee (which every team probably has in some form or another) and Marty definitely brought in Rogalski, who he knew from his time in St. Louis and after being in the dark on Melanson’s removal as goalie coach, Marty confirmed on a podcast that they “Cleaned up” the goalie coaching position and brought in Rogalski, who has been a real dud.

Other than that, I’m not sure exactly what Marty does, but I often times think that he’ll be the next GM of the team, which I hope he isn’t.

And that could be in 2 years or it could be 10 years. Maybe if it’s 10 years he may not want it by then or we’ll have a candidate we don’t even know about at this point.

He’s definitely a front office person though, which teams have many different members of their front office.
You got it, Bleedred, he really hasn't done much for the playing team and hopefully I am dead when he becomes GM. That is a possibility but I said that a couple of years ago as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You got it, Bleedred, he really hasn't done much for the playing team and hopefully I am dead when he becomes GM. That is a possibility but I said that a couple of years ago as well.
Hopefully we’re all dead, as in the end of the world before that happens. That way it doesn’t happen haha.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The issue is the losses on offense should've been offset with Toffoli coming in + full year of Meier + Mercer continuing his upward trajectory. Only one of those things has happened, I think Meier will be a bull in the second half to the year and who really knows with Mercer at this point, he looks absurdly off. Defensively, it was always a transition year but I have an issue with the youth outplaying the veterans by a substantial margin, that was never part of the plan. Goalies, they've been utter shit but there's no one out there who would've helped.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

“Wouldn't be surprised if Andy Greene and Travis Zajac were both offered roles over there. Patty too, who likely turned it down because he didn't want it. He even turned down a role on our staff because he didn't wanna do it full time, if I'm not mistaken.”

Bite your tongue with this garbage. Gross. Greene? Zajac?!?! Elias?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

He’s not going to poach our legacy guys. They aren’t doing anything full-time because they’re taking this opportunity to spend more time with their family. We’ve seen all three with the team from time to time, particularly Elias.

July 2022 article on Zajac
Zajac still uses his veteran experience to teach his three kids. He’s a youth hockey coach for his son’s team and is trying to mold his daughters into stars themselves. He said retirement has been “relaxing,” but he wants to stay close to the sport.

“It’s a lot of fun, being around the family,” he said. “Still being involved in hockey at a youth level, I’m really excited about that more than anything. And, of course, working on my golf game.”

After Zajac signed a one-day contract and retired as a Devil, general manager Tom Fitzgerald told him that there is an “open door policy” for him to return in some capacity. Zajac has considered this offer several times in the past year.

“Yeah, I think at some point, you still want to be involved in the game,” he said. “It’s given me so much and this organization has done so much for me that yeah, at some point you want to pay for it. I don’t know when that point is for me, or what it looks like going forward, but definitely would like to stay involved and be around. I think that’s important.”

Adding to his credibility, Zajac still follows the team as closely as anyone. He especially loves watching his former teammates –– especially Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier –– turn into elite players in the NHL.

“I feel like with Jack Hughes and Nico, those two guys are phenomenal players,” Zajac said. “I think the Devils are in great hands with them.”

Oct 2023 article on Elias
Patrik Elias sprinted into the visitor’s locker room at Madison Square Garden wearing a black Devils quarter zip and dark gray dress pants. His days of donning the red No. 26 sweater may be long gone, but he felt like a player again at that moment.

The Devils, the team he spent two decades with on the ice and nearly four years with in a unofficial front office role, had just tied their 2023 first-round playoff series against the rival Rangers, erasing a 2-0 series hole.

The emotions rushed to his head. Elias couldn’t contain himself.

“Jesus Christ! How [bleeping] excited am I? Devils hockey!” he shouted, sparking team-wide laughter and applause in the cramped dressing room.

All these years later, Elias still feels an inseparable bond with the team that drafted him in 1994 – and it goes beyond being a locker-room cheerleader. Elias is a mentor, a confidant for New Jersey’s European players, and an invaluable hockey resource for anyone on the roster.

He’s also a recruiter with a knack for finding Eastern European talent – and then convincing them to come to New Jersey. Yes, the same man who stifled opponents with his hockey sense and crafty passing skills and broke nearly every Devils scoring record is still dishing off-ice assists, seven years after he retired following the 2015-16 season.
[…]
Eventually I would like to be even closer to the team,” he said. “I don’t know that I’d do scouting. And I don’t know what time, but the time isn’t right right now ... I’m sure it’s going to change. The girls are getting older and won’t need me to – or want me to – be involved in their lives that much. Hopefully, I can still have the opportunity to be involved in hockey.”

Oct 2022 Article on Greene
Greene who turns 40 years old this weekend, also expects to have some level of involvement with the Devils' organization going forward, although the exact details haven't been worked out. The franchise honored the newly-retired Greene at its home opener on Oct. 15. "I've taken a lot of those ceremonial puck drops, but never given one before!", he said. "It was a cool night and a very special week."

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’ve always thought it was an ugly building.

Maybe this is a known thing, but I feel like they tried to somewhat model it somewhat after the first Yankee Stadium.

Very ugly building and it's confusing sometimes to figure where the hell you are coming out NJ transit and that's coming from someone who's lived in NY their whole life lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad