Speculation: Your new coach: Guy Boucher?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Under Roy, I'm sure he would be

Because the way Nashiville totally turned the page on the past, and gave him every opportunity to succeeded, and Barry Trotz being one of the most respected coaches, while Radulov still failed to prove his detractors wrong, leads one to be sure he'll be a great team player under Roy in the NHL just because they had success in junior nine years ago?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I always found Tampa Bay's games highly entertaining, so I guess I wouldn't mind having Boucher. Too bad Tampa sucked. I would rather win though.

SuperTheGreat

Swim Instructor
Jun 3, 2012
Colorado
Boring/not boring, stupid system/not stupid system, I'll echo the last post by Colorado Avalanche: "I'd rather win". If the team starts to win and we're competitive, I'm happier than the past few seasons, save for the few weeks we almost made a playoff run in '12. I want the team to start to win. If Boucher can do that, I'm in.

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
Boucher wouldnt be my first choice. I'd prefer a guy whose team didnt finish 2nd bottom of the east conference despite having Stamkos and St Louis. Come on.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Boucher wouldnt be my first choice. I'd prefer a guy whose team didnt finish 2nd bottom of the east conference despite having Stamkos and St Louis. Come on.

Two players aren't enough to build a winning hockey club. And I'm not sure why this thread is going on since it's based on everything except a credible source. We can easily discuss (and we were doing just that) Boucher in our coaching thread.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Tippett is my 1st choice. But if the Avs are going after a coach without NHL experience (Roy, Chynoweth etc..) they should hire Gwozdecky

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Two players aren't enough to build a winning hockey club. And I'm not sure why this thread is going on since it's based on everything except a credible source. We can easily discuss (and we were doing just that) Boucher in our coaching thread.

The decision was made to keep this thread open and separate because if the Mods decide to close it, we don't have to clean up a different thread.

The rest of the speculation goes in the All Purpose thread

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Because the way Nashiville totally turned the page on the past, and gave him every opportunity to succeeded, and Barry Trotz being one of the most respected coaches, while Radulov still failed to prove his detractors wrong, leads one to be sure he'll be a great team player under Roy in the NHL just because they had success in junior nine years ago?

Coach's are like father figures sometimes. Maybe he just respects Roy more than he ever would any other NA coach. He plays amazing when his heart's in it e.g. Olympics, worlds, etc.

Nashville is a city in which not many people could get used to; and maybe that city just wasn't for Radulov. He played in Quebec and plays in Russia; not quite the same environment as Tennessee

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

But the points stands. The Lightning were the #1 offense in the NHL and still finished that badly.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But the points stands. The Lightning were the #1 offense in the NHL and still finished that badly.

Because their defense, bottom 6 and goaltending were pretty damn terrible. Guy had to play with the hand he got dealt by Stevie Y and it looked more like a pair of 2's than a full house.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Because their defense, bottom 6 and goaltending were pretty damn terrible. Guy had to play with the hand he got dealt by Stevie Y and it looked more like a pair of 2's than a full house.

Sure, but with the #1 offense, even a passable defense puts you practically in playoff contention. You have to be almost WOAT defensively to finish as badly as they did - and while that roster was bad, it was nowhere near THAT bad. They should have had a legit shot at the SE Division crown.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
As long as it's a coach with some nhl experience it's better then what we normally get. I'm happy with anyone they actually go outside of the org for, within reason.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Not sure who you meant this for (I vaguely remember some posts existing on the previous page), but that was last year, not this year.

Boucher has won at every level. I was alluding to Tampa vs. Boston. That said they were not good this year. I wonder how much that rumor of St. Louis played into this.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
As long as it's a coach with some nhl experience it's better then what we normally get. I'm happy with anyone they actually go outside of the org for, within reason.

I partially agree. Honestly I don't care if they go outside or inside of the org, as long as they get a smart hockey guy who can relay to his players what he wants. NOT that that guy necessarily exists inside the org; more that I'm not inherently against hiring from within. And for me it can be NHL or AHL experience, but a college guy (sorry Gwozdecki) or CHL guy I think doesn't necessarily have the experience dealing with veterans, which is about to become a valuable part of coaching the Avalanche as they push for deep playoff runs the next couple of years.

That said, some guys can learn pretty quickly, so I wouldn't mind trying a college coach with a great reputation like Gwoz.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I partially agree. Honestly I don't care if they go outside or inside of the org, as long as they get a smart hockey guy who can relay to his players what he wants. NOT that that guy necessarily exists inside the org; more that I'm not inherently against hiring from within. And for me it can be NHL or AHL experience, but a college guy (sorry Gwozdecki) or CHL guy I think doesn't necessarily have the experience dealing with veterans, which is about to become a valuable part of coaching the Avalanche as they push for deep playoff runs the next couple of years.

That said, some guys can learn pretty quickly, so I wouldn't mind trying a college coach with a great reputation like Gwoz.

Professional sports is a different animal than college. I'd be hesitant to hire Gwoz.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Professional sports is a different animal than college. I'd be hesitant to hire Gwoz.

He would probably be the only guy out of the college ranks I'd go for. Great reputation, local hero, solid Xs and Os guy, motivator - the only part I'd be worried about with him is the social dynamic, and if he didn't handle that well, he could exit (semi)gracefully (a la Hunter in Washington). But I agree that the game is different. However, in my opinion, the fundamentals remain the same at every level, and Gwoz is a good fundamental coach. No gimmicks.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I'd be very happy with Boucher, as well as Tippett.

Would really like a coach with NHL experience who has won something earlier in their careers, as well as in NHL.
Both of these have won, and have been successful in the NHL.

Don't really like Ruff.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
I think he's a good pick.

He had a run to the Eastern Finals and only came up a goal short against the eventual champs (Bruins).

Tampa didn't exactly do much better when he got canned, they went 5-8-3 (.406) and 2-6-2 in their last 10. The bottom line is that teams goaltending and defense really let it down all year.

I can't say I know much about his style personally, but I know he's a passionate coach that the team needs.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
My top two would be Eakins or Roy, however I definitely wouldn't be upset with Boucher. Almost any coach with NHL experience would be light years ahead of sacco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad