Speculation: Your new coach: Guy Boucher?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Some "he said she said" for you. My ex-fiancee and cousin were at an open house at a local middle school and bumped into Guy. My ex is a teacher there and is familiar with him since he has come in a few times for some kid events, they struck up a conversation, and he was talking about possibly enrolling his kids at the school and was debating to go public or private. But he said he waiting to see if his potential job offer fell through. When prompted, he said Colorado, and when she asked him if he thought he would get the job he winked and changed the subject to the playoffs.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Cheers

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Some "he said she said" for you. My ex-fiancee and cousin were at an open house at a local middle school and bumped into Guy. My ex is a teacher there and is familiar with him since he has come in a few times for some kid events, they struck up a conversation, and he was talking about possibly enrolling his kids at the school and was debating to go public or private. But he said he waiting to see if his potential job offer fell through. When prompted, he said Colorado, and when she asked him if he thought he would get the job he winked and changed the subject to the playoffs.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Cheers

your ex-fiance is also your cousin?! .... that's awkward

;)

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Interesting. I suppose its possible.

I'm not really familiar with how Boucher's teams play. Could someone who knows him a bit more in depth tell me about him?

The only thing I'll say is that the Tampa team was poorly constructed IMO and it wasnt all his fault.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

He certainly fits the passionate mark, hes always been good and 'accountable' when it comes to talking to the media as well.

When he was fired Tampa still had problems with motivation after he left, and the teams goalie situation was just a tumultuous as seasons past.

I have my doubts about him but, Sakic could easily have talked to Stevie Y and asked him about Boucher. Tampa's coaching change came more from the thought of needing a new message than Boucher's failure IMO.

Not sure I am a fan of that 1-3-1 crapola, but there is no guarantee he'd try to use that consistently. However just the fact that he started to use it, makes me optimistic as to him being able to adapt when needed.

There is going to be concerns with every coaching candidate to be honest, but if this happens. I'll be at least optimistic, and he never seemed to stifle Stamkos and other offensive players abilities like Sacco had done in the past.

Not my first choice but still a good one IMO.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He certainly fits the passionate mark, hes always been good and 'accountable' when it comes to talking to the media as well.

When he was fired Tampa still had problems with motivation after he left, and the teams goalie situation was just a tumultuous as seasons past.

I have my doubts about him but, Sakic could easily have talked to Stevie Y and asked him about Boucher. Tampa's coaching change came more from the thought of needing a new message than Boucher's failure IMO.

Not sure I am a fan of that 1-3-1 crapola, but there is no guarantee he'd try to use that consistently. However just the fact that he started to use it, makes me optimistic as to him being able to adapt when needed.

There is going to be concerns with every coaching candidate to be honest, but if this happens. I'll be at least optimistic, and he never seemed to stifle Stamkos and other offensive players abilities like Sacco had done in the past.

Not my first choice but still a good one IMO.

Would like him. I take him over any of the rumored candidates save for Eakins and maybe Tippett. He is miles ahead of Ruff, Martin or ugh Chynoweth...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Boucher is a good coach and he has had a lot of success at the junior level and some success with Tampa. Yzerman didn't give him a lot of help but what went wrong the past two seasons? Wasn't there some talk that his players started to tune him out?

Maybe he's waiting to find out about an assistant coaching job. I hear Roy is a big Boucher fan. :sarcasm:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Boucher is a good coach and he has had a lot of success at the junior level and some success with Tampa. Yzerman didn't give him a lot of help but what went wrong the past two seasons? Wasn't there some talk that his players started to tune him out?

There was talk that he "lost the veterans". But that is just rumours.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Please no... I don't want too see any 1-3-1 snoozefests.

Read that mile high article, he does not use it all the time. It's one of the things he does/has done when needed. Tampa's defense AND goal-tending sucked pretty much his entire tenure.

How much have we talked about needing someone that will adapt to the strength and weaknesses of the team? Unlike Sacco with the Square peg, round hold approach. Teams in our division/conference are not going to be able to lock us down the way they did with Sacco.

Check out what it says about his college education as well, he has education is sports psychology as well. Which would probably do wonders for Varly and Duchene (Although Duchene is learning to relax a bit). He'd probably be able to help Landeskog deal with the pressures of being the captain as well.

His educational background makes me like him even more, those are things I didn't know about him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Please no... I don't want too see any 1-3-1 snoozefests.

He didn't use it all the time and his teams have finished in the top 10 in goals every season. However, Stamkos and St. Louis could have something to do with that.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The big plus for me regarding Guy is that we are finally starting to look outside the organisation.

There will ALWAYS be a downside with any coach. Either he has a history of that or this. Either he hasn't been good in the playoffs, or he plays a boring system to watch, or players doesn't like him, or something else.

We wont be able to find someone with a perfect résumé. That is just a fact.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wouldn't be my first choice, but he's better than many of the candidates.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The big plus for me regarding Guy is that we are finally starting to look outside the organisation.

There will ALWAYS be a downside with any coach. Either he has a history of that or this. Either he hasn't been good in the playoffs, or he plays a boring system to watch, or players doesn't like him, or something else.

We wont be able to find someone with a perfect résumé. That is just a fact.

Good points all around.

At least this guy has a defensive system he can use. Like many have said not my first choice but I'd be happy with this hiring.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well it would be a coach who was entertaining to look at rather than infuriating

BoucherFace.gif

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well it would be a coach who was entertaining to look at rather than infuriating

Is he making fun of the refs or something in that? It looks like what you do when your mouthing a Pejorative Slured response to someones comments or questions.

If I remember right he can be a bit sarcastic with the media or otherwise.

Mouse21*

while i obviously dont believe your story, id love to have him.

Serenity19

Keep Flying
Feb 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
If he is allowed to use his version of the 1-3-1, I believe we can be really successful with it. With the exception of Zannon and O'Brien (and the addition of Jones), our team is built for it. I don't think the league likes it though, as the two-line pass was removed specifically to eliminate passive neutral-zone traps, and I'm sure that fiasco with Philly didn't go over well at the league offices.

The myth is that Boucher's system is a purely defensive system. It's aggressive on the forecheck using an aggressive 1-2-2 when the forechecker can get pressure on the puck carrier, so his system generates a lot of offense off of turnovers in transistion.

My biggest concern is that he hasn't been able to come up with a successful system that doesn't depend upon the passive 1-3-1, so if the league decides that they don't want him to use it, there's a good chance that he won't be able to duplicate his earlier success. It's not always entertaining to watch, but the 1-3-1 is a really nice system that's difficult to counter without the proper team makeup. Boucher had Jon Cooper's Admirals using it when they won the Calder.

I have some reservations about what happened between Boucher and his players in Tampa, but that was his first gig so hopefully he learned something from the experience.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not a fan of Boucher, but obviously we'll have to give the next coach the benefit of a doubt, no matter who it is.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I've seen plenty of Tampa games under Guy. I loved his emotion behind the bench, Sacco was depressing to watch. I can imagine that rubbing off on the guys, too. Bolts hockey wasn't boring either. 1-3-1 misconceptions. I think the Avs could use a similar system with a lot of success. Biggest thing to remember is Tampa was 1 goal away from making the big show. And the make up of that team wasn't anything special outside of Stamkos and St. Louis. Avs already have better forward depth than that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad