Speculation: Your new coach: Guy Boucher?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm all for Boucher.

AV (if fired) or Tippett would be better but I don't mind Boucher. Just please, no more inexperienced AHL coach. I don't even want Roy. Just bring in an NHL experienced coach.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Two things:

I give no credence to the OP - I am not saying you are a liar; I just can't trust an unknown source.

That said, just like I "knew" we'd get Salo, Tucker and Giguere (gut stuff), Boucher has sounded "right" for a couple years. Less so now with Lacroix taking a back seat. I'd not hate the choice, but I'd be disappointed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I ultimately won't be mad until the new coach gives me reason to be with the Avs, but I have accepted St. Patrick coming back to Denver, it just fits. He's great with young players, has that passion and fury you want behind the bench, would take attention and pressure off of our kids by being the center of the media's focus, and I think he'd really turn Varly into the great goaler he can be. Plus he'd still feel like family, despite being one of the only Avs' guys they could get who'd really tear into management when needed and rip anyone a new one.

Plus could mean we sign radulov at some point and I really like him as a player. He's a joy to watch and would be absolutely phenomenal next to either Landy-Radar or Dutchy-Parenteau.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I wouldnt hate it. Like someone else said your gonna find fault with anyone they end up hiring. Hell even if it was Scotty Bowman you'd still get your Please No or Do Not Wants.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Just passing on some info nothing to gain

I would appreciate you passing along any more info you should get, other posters are naturally going to be skeptical, that's the nature of the internet...if nothing else it's good for speculation

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would appreciate you passing along any more info you should get, other posters are naturally going to be skeptical, that's the nature of the internet...if nothing else it's good for speculation

Absolutely, everyone takes this stuff with a grain of salt but at least it sparks conversation.

People have kind of forgot that Boucher is a real option, and it seems like most people want Roy or Eakins. So anything different is going to catch a certain amount of flak.

I personally want Tippet or Eakins, then Roy, then Boucher. The one real option I don't really want is Ruff. Hes a east coast dinosaur, with no real significant success in a long coaching career.

There are just way better options in both proven and unproven coaching talent.

icesniper

Nov 16, 2010
Colorado
Okay, please help the hockey noob out. 1-3-1 system means what? I know when TB hired him Columbus also wanted him. I thought he was an offensive talented coach?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't want Boucher. His various zone schemes don't work well with bad defensemen. He'd KILL Varlamov.

As much as i like Boucher , When he got fired from Tampa , that was the rumour arround . They were saying that his System was really bad for Goalies , they even used the term Goalie Killer .

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Okay, please help the hockey noob out. 1-3-1 system means what? I know when TB hired him Columbus also wanted him. I thought he was an offensive talented coach?

He gets scoring done for sure.

The 1 - 3 - 1 is a zone defense set up in the neutral zone. It looks like a big plus sign (and you can see in the Flyers video above). The first guy (1) drives the puck carrier to one side, while the three (3) guys behind cut off the passing lanes and prevent him from carrying the puck across the center line. The last guy (1) plays safety/puck retriever. It's designed to prevent the other team from gaining the offensive zone with both speed and possession.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Absolutely, everyone takes this stuff with a grain of salt but at least it sparks conversation.

People have kind of forgot that Boucher is a real option, and it seems like most people want Roy or Eakins. So anything different is going to catch a certain amount of flak.

I personally want Tippet or Eakins, then Roy, then Boucher. The one real option I don't really want is Ruff. Hes a east coast dinosaur, with no real significant success in a long coaching career.

There are just way better options in both proven and unproven coaching talent.

I don't think that's really fair. He's the 12th winningest coach in NHL history in the regular season, and the 15th winningest in the playoffs.

He's also younger than Darryl Sutter, Tortorella, Hitchcock, andPaul MacLean who are having success in the NHL.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Thanks for the explanation.

No problem :teach:

Re: Ruff (how your mother likes it, Trebek), I have my doubts. The Sabres were given quite a bit of talent and he managed to make it crash and burn. I wouldn't want the Avs to be the team that gives him a chance and finds out he just can't hack it anymore (if that's indeed the case).

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I'm all for this, he has the passion and a well known system that can easily frustrate the opposition. I remember Tampa two years ago when they made it to the final basically made it because of the 1-3-1, they weren't a very good team from the net out. Forwards were great but that was really their only strength.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

I was watching this game live, only Lavio would think of this.:handclap::laugh:

Watching the second video the 1-3-1 could be a very good system for the defenders that the Avs have. They are good skaters so they can keep tight gaps on the oponents forcheck. And with their speed they could like end up with a ton of turn overs. Duchene could have at least 1 break away a game.

I think Boucher would be a great hire to try and get this team back mentally and instill some structure.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
I ultimately won't be mad until the new coach gives me reason to be with the Avs, but I have accepted St. Patrick coming back to Denver, it just fits. He's great with young players, has that passion and fury you want behind the bench, would take attention and pressure off of our kids by being the center of the media's focus, and I think he'd really turn Varly into the great goaler he can be. Plus he'd still feel like family, despite being one of the only Avs' guys they could get who'd really tear into management when needed and rip anyone a new one.

Plus could mean we sign radulov at some point and I really like him as a player. He's a joy to watch and would be absolutely phenomenal next to either Landy-Radar or Dutchy-Parenteau.

as much as some guys in here would hate that, I would LOVE it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I would be excited if Guy Boucher were named the next Avalanche coach. He's had success at all levels of hockey, and seemed like the next great young coach until Tampa Bay's goaltending situation imploded.

At the very least, an intriguing option.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
Am I dreaming or do I recall Roy having some unkind words in the media about him when he coached in the Q? It was something to the tune of killing creative, offensive hockey I thought.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=339766

Skimming it over, he's not unflattering about Boucher personally, just upset that his style was so widely adopted.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Am I dreaming or do I recall Roy having some unkind words in the media about him when he coached in the Q? It was something to the tune of killing creative, offensive hockey I thought.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=339766

Skimming it over, he's not unflattering about Boucher personally, just upset that his style was so widely adopted.

this really helps me ease the idea of him getting the coaching job. I would hate a defense-first avs.

I'm more leaning towards a balanced two way system like the way the hawks play. Hopefully Guy would be like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad