Your Most Memorable Moment as a Fan?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Question: was it one of the seats in the double row at the back of the Coliseum that was technically obstructed because if people in front of you stood up you couldn't see anything? That was where my $15 a game season ticket was.

Yup, the last two rows in those sections were exactly the same level, and the ceiling hangs low so it's even hard for me to stand all game. It was a whole game of bobbing and weaving like whackamole. Hella fun though!!

Reactions: sabremike

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
As a Leafs fan, I thought this moment would become a story to tell the kids about. Kapanen gives the Leafs the lead in the first-round Game 7 vs Boston with a short handed goal.

I figured, if this held up as the game winner it would be talked about for decades. The Leafs lost, so it didn't end up being anything to most people. But in the moment, it was something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
There's simply too many to name, so I'll go with my most memorable moment live:
Game 3 Oilers vs Sharks in 2006 (second round). The oilers came into the game down by two games and trailed 2-1 in the third period. Things didn't look good.

But then Torres scored to tie things up with 6 minutes to go. In 2OT, Roloson made an absolutely incredible (series saving) stop on Cheechoo (reigning Rocket trophy winner). Moments later, in 3OT Horcoff collects an errant puck from Ryan Smyth to score the winner. The Oilers wouldn't look back and took the next three games to win the series 4-2.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't get why this is so memorable.

You have to live the details of the series as it was happening. Too long to get into, but there are many Canada/Russia series you can access on youtube I presume. I was young back then, but recall it like it was yesterday. There will never be another hockey and world news moment that will match it. The only one close would be when Team USA beating the Russians in the semis to go into the gold medal game in Lake Placid. But I would put Henderson's goal as #1 for me. You just had to have known all the things that went into winning that series.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
You have to live the details of the series as it was happening. Too long to get into, but there are many Canada/Russia series you can access on youtube I presume. I was young back then, but recall it like it was yesterday. There will never be another hockey and world news moment that will match it. The only one close would be when Team USA beating the Russians in the semis to go into the gold medal game in Lake Placid. But I would put Henderson's goal as #1 for me. You just had to have known all the things that went into winning that series.

I was around then. But, I don't see how, when Russia was beaten Canada at hockey (you know, passing, skating, and shooting) then the Canadians started to goon it up, be memorable. Canada was getting beat, but then the goons went out and took over and Canada won the series. That's kind of embarrassing to me. Not memorable. (Well, maybe memorable but not honorable). Bobby Clarke (or I think it was Bobby Clarke) had to break some Russian players ankle, because he was beaten the Canadian defense.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I was around then. But, I don't see how, when Russia was beaten Canada at hockey (you know, passing, skating, and shooting) then the Canadians started to goon it up, be memorable. Canada was getting beat, but then the goons went out and took over and Canada won the series. That's kind of embarrassing to me. Not memorable. (Well, maybe memorable but not honorable). Bobby Clarke (or I think it was Bobby Clarke) had to break some Russian players ankle, because he was beaten the Canadian defense.

It was probably the most emotionally charged series I’ve ever heard of. To be honest, I’m shocked that more guys didn’t lose their shit like Clarke did or do even worse things.

To say that the Summit Series was strictly about hockey - especially to the players involved - can’t be accurate. When your entire nation is pretty much demanding that you win, and your pride and self worth is on the line, you’d be shocked at what some people would do. Those were very proud men. Not surprised something like that happened.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

The Russians were not squeaky clean. There are stories how they spit, slashed and speared the Canadian players. Not sure you knew this. Also they would call the Team Canada's players rooms in the middle of the night to make them tired the next day. The Russians had the refs in their back pockets too. Not sure you saw this or failed to mention this. You would get a 2 min pim or merely breathing on a Soviet player. And they knew this and dived excessively. If you want to question honour. I don't condone deliberately hurting players, but the Soviets got what they deserved. I would go to war on the ice with Bobby Clarke any day, any year, any planet. He was playing for Canada, and the USA too. We were all in it together as the cold war was real back then. It was there way of life against us. It's all different now, though is it really with Putin? But it was 1000x more magnified back then. Canada despite the odds won the series despite playing most of their games a man short due to the one sided reffing, and let's not forget the greatest player of all Bobby Orr, and Bobby Hull was in the WHL at the time could not play. So really it was a triump of David vs Goliath, not just for hockey, but on the world propaganda scene.

Henderson and Esposito on how dirty the series was.

Last edited:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
This one, definitely this one.

Honestly, my favorite part of this particular video is where you see Dewey eat it coming off the bench.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It was probably the most emotionally charged series I’ve ever heard of. To be honest, I’m shocked that more guys didn’t lose their **** like Clarke did or do even worse things.

To say that the Summit Series was strictly about hockey - especially to the players involved - can’t be accurate. When your entire nation is pretty much demanding that you win, and your pride and self worth is on the line, you’d be shocked at what some people would do. Those were very proud men. Not surprised something like that happened.

I remember it as not just hockey, but a series to determine world power. I know this sounds hyperbolic. But it was the East vs the West. If the Soviets won, they would have won the propaganda war that they were better. In 72, it was the cold war at its height. I know it was Canada vs the Soviets, but it felt like Canada was playing for the USA also. Democracy vs Communism.

Just like when Mike Eruzione beating Russia at Lake Placid which I consider another of the most memorable hockey moments.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
So many great memories as a Hawks/USA fan, but Kane's cup-winner in OT of Game 6 has to be at the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSophagus

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Watching the 2010-2011 Canucks make it to the finals, game by game.

Last edited:

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
There are tons.

One funny one that stands out is John Scott going after Phil Kessel in the preseason which led to David Clarkson jumping off the bench and being suspended his first 10 games as a leaf.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Easily game six of the 2012 ECF. It was my second playoff game ever (1st was game 1 when the devils got shut out) and first at the rock. I don’t think I’ll ever have that sort of adrenaline rush again in my life.

Puck was loose, everyone stood up, and all of the sudden smoke just starts coming out of the scoreboard and the goal light is on. Absolutely unreal experience

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
My most memorable moment at a game I attended: Ponikarovsky's OT winner in game 3 of a series in which the Devils ultimately obliterated the Flyers. I was in the second deck right behind the goal in that end of the rink with seven friends and it was mental.

As for "Henrique! It's Over!" I was watching on TV at my buddy's beach house with a few friends in Ocean City, Maryland and we lost it and went down in a heap cellying and almost broke the coffee table. Good times.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad