Your Most Memorable Moment as a Fan?

vostae

Jun 27, 2018
Canada
Being in Vancouver for the gold medal game and for when we finally got past Chicago in 2011. But I'm pretty sure the Caps winning is coming close to #1 for me.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Watching in attendance as the Lightning defeated Philly in game 7 of the 04 eastern conference finals.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nothing I've seen or will ever see will come close to Joe handing the Cup to Ray.

Adam Foote's final shift is awesome and heartwarming, the refs knew it was his last shift and let him be his old grab and clutch days self. All while being in an intense amount of pain. A fitting sendoff to the most unsung warrior to ever wear the Burgundy and Blue.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zetterberg scoring a shorthanded goal against Dallas in 2013 to clinch a playoff berth for us. It was my birthday that day, too.

Ibewlu3

Nov 19, 2017
1994 easily..... waching game 7 of the SCF with about 20 friends and family and seeing the joy in my dad watch the Rangers win their possible one and only cup in his lifetime.This is also prob why i root for the teams with long suffering fanbases if my Rangers arent in it...... weather it be Washington this yr..... Chicago of yrs past, or the Torontos or St Louis’ of the future.I always feel theres someones grandfather,dad, mom, etc thats been a lifetime diehard and this would mean the world too

Reactions: Ratsreign

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011

The day it was officially announced that The NHL was returning to Winnipeg... Heart was ripped out in 1996... always kept hope that Winnipeg would get another team and was mocked for believing it would happen again...always had faith

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I could list so many but Kane’s OT goal in 2010 and this:

And obviously #17seconds.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As a leaf fan, my most memorable moment is not a happy one. In fact, probably of my 100 most memorable leaf moments, very few would actually be positive. That's the life of a leafs fan I suppose.

But I'll focus on the big one. 2013 game 7 vs the Bruins. This will get lengthy... but I really have to do it justice. I need to show just how badly this hurt us. And by “us”, I mean all leaf fans. Many just won’t admit it. It’s too embarrassing.

I watched the game with four other friends. We were in our mid 20's. And you have to understand... the game was a big deal. For almost 10 years, the leafs had been the humiliation of not just the nhl, but of all humanity. We were the butt of every joke, far more than the usual leaf hate that's always out there. We hadn't made the playoffs since the lockout. We traded away two 1st round picks, only to finish 2nd last and 9th last, all for a player who was at this point mocked league wide. I consider this era to be rock bottom of all Maple Leaf history... even worse than the Ballard years.

We were told the leafs didn't have a chance this series against the Bruins. Most people thought the leafs would be flat out swept. But here we were. Game 7. Game Freaking Seven!!!

And we just went up 4-1, 10 minutes remaining in the 3rd.

I honestly don't think most people understand how important this was for us. Yes... it's just hockey. We knew that. But we were all thinking back to our teenage years watching those Sundin teams win rounds in the playoffs. We remembered how fun it could be to get with your friends and watch the leafs actually succeed. Something that we’d desperately missed. A lost aspect of our teenage years that we honestly started thinking would never come back.

So it was very emotional for us when we went up 4-1. We all had tears in our eyes, and were trying to hide it. It was melancholy. A reminder of the fun we used to have following this team. A sign that things were finally changing for the better.

We saw Burke actually leave his box seat and start shaking hands with members of MLSE. We stopped actually watching the game. It was over. The announcers said no team has ever come back from such a deficit so late in a game 7. We were talking about the next round. That's it. Who would we play? Who do we match up with?

And then we noticed it was somehow 4-3. The room went silent. We'd been leaf fans long enough to know what this means. The leafs don't just lose a game. They do so in the most heart breaking and humiliating fashion possible. We all knew the game was probably over, but we didn't want to believe it.

I remember the fear in everyones eyes when the leafs couldn't even touch the puck the final two minutes. I remember the shock when Boston tied the game. I remember the brief moment of hope we all had when Lupul hit the post early in overtime.

And then Boston scored, assisted by Seguin (of ****ing course).

One of my friends, a "mans man" who I've never seen show emotions, cried in the corner. He was embarrassed about it, and none of us have ever talked about it since. I would say almost 15 minutes passed before anybody spoke. We all went home. None of us even talked to each other, not even a text, for over a week. We just didn't want to think about that horrendous experience.

I quit watching hockey at that point. Said I'd only come back once the leafs actually started a real bona fide rebuild. Which they since have, and I'm glad to be back.

But 3 of my 4 friends quit hockey forever. They no longer follow the sport in any capacity. Even now that the leafs have Matthews and Tavares... they don't care. They are done. Forever. That game 7 against Boston was simply too much for them.

That day wasn't just the worst moment I've had as a leafs fan... it was one of the worst moments of my entire life. And I believe every single real leaf fan out there ( maybe not the casual fairweather fans) went through something similar.

It was just a horrible disgusting moment. One that none of us will ever forget.
ha ha thats amazing and kind of pathetic

I love hockey and all but I'd never let something like a bunch of grown men chasing a puck around the ice affect me emotionally. Its just silly. I get how a sports team can improve civic morale and pride but to the extent that it destroyed your friends? It only game.

Anyways, happy for you that you have a real team to cheer for for the next 15 years. Enough suffering in Leaf land, fun as it was for the rest of us.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Positive: Nikolai Borschevsky's game winner against Detroit in '93. I quite literally ran out into the street celebrating.

Negative: The other thing that happened that year in the playoffs.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Mine is easily 1993. Isles are playing game six facing elimination against the defending Stanley Cup champions. Two days before I asked my dad if we could try to get tickets and he laughed saying they were probably sold out. I jumped on ticketmaster anyway and found two tickets in the last row. Horrible seats to one of the most electric games I've ever attended.

A back and forth game and in the waning seconds Uwe Krupp scores an empty netter. I think it was actually the second one but I'm not sure. What I do vividly remember is the usually emotionless Uwe Krupp picking up a penguin in a noose that someone had thrown on the ice. He whipped around a few times and tossed it back into the crowd. I have several fond memories, but that game and that moment was epic!

Interestingly Uwe Krupp changed our fate from Jaromir Jagr to Scott Scissions when, as a member of the Sabres, he scored an OT goal against the Penguins to have us finish ahead of them....

Reactions: sabremike

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The Red Mile in '04 was a big, memorable "moment" for the atmosphere. Game-wise, the only playoff game I've physically been at was against the Ducks in 2014, and the Flames tied it with a couple minutes left in the third, then won in OT, which was pretty neat.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mine is easily 1993. Isles are playing game six facing elimination against the defending Stanley Cup champions. Two days before I asked my dad if we could try to get tickets and he laughed saying they were probably sold out. I jumped on ticketmaster anyway and found two tickets in the last row. Horrible seats to one of the most electric games I've ever attended.

A back and forth game and in the waning seconds Uwe Krupp scores an empty netter. I think it was actually the second one but I'm not sure. What I do vividly remember is the usually emotionless Uwe Krupp picking up a penguin in a noose that someone had thrown on the ice. He whipped around a few times and tossed it back into the crowd. I have several fond memories, but that game and that moment was epic!

Interestingly Uwe Krupp changed our fate from Jaromir Jagr to Scott Scissions when, as a member of the Sabres, he scored an OT goal against the Penguins to have us finish ahead of them....
Question: was it one of the seats in the double row at the back of the Coliseum that was technically obstructed because if people in front of you stood up you couldn't see anything? That was where my $15 a game season ticket was.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
As a leaf fan my favourite moment is when leafs won the draft lottery back in 2016. Nothing can top that for now until we won Stanley cup.

Hard to top this in recent memory. Finally felt like the fortunes of the team had turned around in this moment.

Other happy Leaf memories feel like a lifetime ago. I feel quite disconnected from those Leaf teams that did a bit of playoff damage in the early 2000’s.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
As a Flyers fan, the 3-0 comeback against Boston in 2010. Very vivid memory, I was a college kid home for the summer. Had never seen a Flyers playoff game, so ticket prices bottomed out before game 4 and a couple friends and I nabbed a set of upper deck seats for $30 a pop. That OT win at the time felt like delaying the inevitable, we were all just glad we'd seen a win and avoided the sweep.

A week later we were all packed into a basement watching game 7. Everyone was groaning when Boston went up 3-0 in the first period, and in a rare moment of serenity in what had otherwise been a pretty reserved and somewhat neurotic young life, I just told them all to shut up and remember how we got there. Sports are funny like that, for some reason that run did something to boost up my confidence and alter my impression of inevitability...Gagne scores the winner just as he did in game 4, and I felt totally vindicated and indestructable. A few months later went back to college, changed my major to what I actually liked, and ended up dating the prettiest girl I probably ever will. Didn't come through in the end (the Finals run or that relationship) but I was just proud as hell to be a Philadelphia Flyer at that point, and I learned a lot about willpower and confidence and persistence.

We'll win a Cup in my lifetime, and that will be my happiest fan moment, but until then that comeback will be my first, and no matter what comes after it will always be second.

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
was at the easter epic as a little kid, loved the bondra years and all of Ovis highlights but the Kuzy goal will forever be it for me. Have John Waltons call set as my ringtone and i let the whole thing play out everytime someone calls. Wife is getting sick of it already hahah.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
2012 ECQF vs New Jersey Game 2. First playoff win in 15 years. I was there for that and the atmosphere before, during and after the game was amazing. Well as amazing as it could be, this is Florida we're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad