Your Message to MSL

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
didn't he want to be traded when yzerman didn't include him on team canada? He meant so much to the organization for so long, but you guys all hate him now and wish him the worst? just trying to understand how the majority of you feel

I don't know about wishing him the worst, but we felt really disrespected that he would quit on our team as the captain for such a petty reason. I think we're all at different stages now of moving on from it, or not. But at the time the vast majority were angry for sure.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
I wish people knew the real reason Marty left the Bolts, If they did I'm not sure if it would change anything but it is not why people think.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I wish people knew the real reason Marty left the Bolts, If they did I'm not sure if it would change anything but it is not why people think.

So enlighten us already.

Anyway, it was more of the timing than anything. The captain bailing on a team of really young players in the middle of a playoff push.

It doesn't matter anymore though. We ended up better because of the trade and the way it went down quite likely saved Yzerman from inevitably looking like a bad guy because he probably wouldn't have extended Marty.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
On second thought, I offer him a sincere thank you. We wouldn't have Cally, Boyle or Stralman if not for that trade. We simply wouldn't be as good.

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Dear Marty,

It's been more than a year since you've arrived here, and I have to say my opinion of you has definitely changed. I truly hated you after the trade because we all loved Callahan plus I can't stand those prima donna players with NMCs who list the NYR as their first/only choice. (Nash, you listening?) And then you arrived, and the next day they erased Callahan's face from everything--as though he'd never played here--and your little mug was in its place. And THEN your mother passed away, I am very sorry as I would be for anyone who loses a beloved parent, but the PR staff at MSG went into overdrive. Hate to be cynical but the whole thing was a circus. And then Sather didn't even call Boyle and Stralman since the Rangers were out of $$$ and they went to TBL and I hated you even more and had more reasons to root for Tampa.

However, this year you are no longer the media darling and the NYR seems to be wilting even though they did have the most points and made it to ECF. And throughout the whole long season I have watched you work very hard, always very hard and with the highest skill level of any player on the team. Kreider might be faster but no one hustles more than you do and you are 38! You are almost a parental leader of your Rangers teammates--you are always the last one off the ice and congratulating or consoling others. I thought your affectionate handshake with Stamkos was genuine and touching.

I am watching with interest how you deal with the final years of your career in a sport dominated by increasingly younger players. Even after your public vote of no-confidence by AV, you have continued to act with grace and dignity. So, in my book you're okay.

Thank you for this cathartic opportunity to write a letter that no one will ever read.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
Dear Marty,

It's been more than a year since you've arrived here, and I have to say my opinion of you has definitely changed. I truly hated you after the trade because we all loved Callahan plus I can't stand those prima donna players with NMCs who list the NYR as their first/only choice. (Nash, you listening?) And then you arrived, and the next day they erased Callahan's face from everything--as though he'd never played here--and your little mug was in its place. And THEN your mother passed away, I am very sorry as I would be for anyone who loses a beloved parent, but the PR staff at MSG went into overdrive. Hate to be cynical but the whole thing was a circus. And then Sather didn't even call Boyle and Stralman since the Rangers were out of $$$ and they went to TBL and I hated you even more and had more reasons to root for Tampa.

However, this year you are no longer the media darling and the NYR seems to be wilting even though they did have the most points and made it to ECF. And throughout the whole long season I have watched you work very hard, always very hard and with the highest skill level of any player on the team. Kreider might be faster but no one hustles more than you do and you are 38! You are almost a parental leader of your Rangers teammates--you are always the last one off the ice and congratulating or consoling others. I thought your affectionate handshake with Stamkos was genuine and touching.

I am watching with interest how you deal with the final years of your career in a sport dominated by increasingly younger players. Even after your public vote of no-confidence by AV, you have continued to act with grace and dignity. So, in my book you're okay.

Thank you for this cathartic opportunity to write a letter that no one will ever read.

Nice!

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Thanks for the years of heart and soul. Your number should hang in the rafters in Tampa.

And thanks for the toe-pick in gm2 =p

This. The guy was also here during our down years from 2008 to 2010 . Terrible years that he and Vinny had to endure.

I hope he keeps playing and he is happy. :handclap:

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I am glad that people are starting to come around on this. It is hard to hate the guy after what he did for us for so long. He left in a horrible way, but he was on his way out anyway, and the result for us is much better in the end. He helped us once again get to the next level.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I think the 2nd best thing about us winning a Cup would be the interview with St. Louis in the offseason.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Pittsburgh isn't that close to CT... If he signs there so much for it being about his family. :rolleyes:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
i vote NO i say steve votes NO for some time

steve runs the team so who knows maybe after a cup win or something steve lets by gones be gone

I dont see anytime soon though

Yea I'm kind of up in the air about it myself. If he did that he would be saying he was wrong and should have played out his contract here but that may be too soon for all parties. Including the fans. Maybe time will be needed to heal this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad