Your lineup 22/23

• Thread starter Deleted member 331730
  • Start date

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like JAD from LA and looking at their depth of centers, at best he will probably be locked in the fourth line, we also seem to have good depth in the center, but a player like JAD could come in handy for us, maybe start him in the beginn ing with Zemgus and Okposo, and then he could develop into a good 3C.

Reactions: Grinder44

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
You can get it for free, because Palat UFA at the end of the season. I think if we're trading Jokiharju then it would probably make sense if it was Jokiharju+ for a proven top 4 RD with term.
Didn’t realize Palat was on his last year, thought he had one more after this.

I’d think he would sign with a contender, but I’d throw money and term his way.

Joker is the guy you look to move if you want to upgrade the top 4 or top 6.

I’ll throw out another lightning player, Boris Katchouk

has had a bad year to date (5 points in 48 games) but has seen limited minutes. I still think he has middle six potential.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Didn’t realize Palat was on his last year, thought he had one more after this.

I’d think he would sign with a contender, but I’d throw money and term his way.

Joker is the guy you look to move if you want to upgrade the top 4 or top 6.

I’ll throw out another lightning player, Boris Katchouk

has had a bad year to date (5 points in 48 games) but has seen limited minutes. I still think he has middle six potential.
Yes, Buffalo will probably not be a popular place in the UFA, but we could offer more money and not necessarily for a long-term deal.

I understand that most people love Joki, but I have no problem trading him if we can get the top 4 RD in Joker trade or another trade, re-sign Pysyk and sign another RD in UFA.

If we could get Katchouk cheap why not, I'm not sure a guy like Murray can beat him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It wasn’t a very good pun.

A better one would have been “so he’s Jeannot worth it”.
Well, at the beginning I really didn’t notice this and was sure that there was an "untouchable".

338401.jpg

Reactions: Matt Ress

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
I definitely would keep Peterka with Quinn, they had great chemistry. Didn’t work with Krebs, Malone was the best fit for them. Cozens or Mittelstadt could get a crack at them. Then I’d explore packaging oloffson to get a RHD, Petry works for this. Hypothetically, could say Oloffson and a pick for Petry. I find it hard to believe he just forgot how to play hockey. Acquire 2 goalies if you can. I’d love to find a way to get Jokiharju on a bottom pair ideally.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Krebs - Mittelstadt- Asplund
Quinn - Cozens - Peterka
Girgensons - Jankowski - Okposo
Hayden/Hinostroza/Murray

Dahlin - Jokiharju (don’t love this)
Power - Petry
Samuelsson- Pysyk

Free agent/trade goalie
UPL

Last edited:

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I'm confused, I thought this thread was created to project lines based on the current Sabres contracts. Roster Speculation thread would be where we make guesses and projections regarding trades and FA I thought.

Regardless here are my lines (based on the above assumption)

Asplund - Mitts - Oloffson
Krebs - Cozens - Quinn
Girgs - Jankowski - Okposo

Dahlin - Joker
Power - Fitz
Samuelsson - Pysyk

Peterka; Bryson

UPL
Tokarski

Yuck.

Reactions: Ygo

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Over the past couple weeks I've been doing a lot of researching about potential Sabres targets for next year. I've listened to the Podcasts, looked at all the advanced stats (Subbed to AllThreeZones, Evolving-Hockey and JFresh - I especially recommend Jfresh's Patreon btw). Tried to get a gauge of how other teams are valuing players/prospects, while taking into consideration our lineup needs in terms of size, toughness, skill etc. This is what I have so far.

1. The absolute, number 1 target for the Sabres needs to be Connor Murphy. I do not want a Tim Murray style rebuild where we throw all of our picks/prospects out in trades and fall flat on our face - but Connor Murphy is absolutely somebody I wouldn't mind giving one of our other 1sts and a bit to acquire. Blackhawks fans seem to think he's worth about a 1st, maybe a tad more (I added a photo of his WAR to this post, from Jfresh's Twitter account last year). He maybe isn't quite as physical as we want, but he can still deliver good hits. He's big, he has term on his contract at a very affordable price, he's a good locker room guy (his interviews, plus trying to go around the Blackhawks forums/searching Twitter has led me to this conclusion). I get that the last time the Sabres traded a first for a defenseman it was a disaster. At 28/29 - Connor Murphy isn't a project. He's going to be a top-four, right shot defensive defenseman in a shutdown role for the remainder of his contract. Even if he regresses, I believe we get our value's worth.

E-INyz8WQAgtw-9.jpg

2. My family has had Sabres season tickets for as long as I can remember. I'm fairly excited about the Sabres future, but one thing that has stood out to me is our lack of physicality and size (especially on defense). I attended the game against the Avalanche, I noted that Bryson, Jokiharju and Fitzgerald were all just getting bullied off the puck far too easily. In my mind, if we acquire Connor Murphy to be our top-pairing RHD, we're going to want a big, tough guy to play either on the second or third pairing (I'm not really sure if Jokiharju is a second or third pairing kind of guy at this point, to be honest). I'm thinking for this, we will likely have to go the UFA route as to not deplete ourselves of assets. Although it will be difficult to find players that want to sign in Buffalo at the moment.

Option A - David Savard. He's had a rough year in Montreal this year, no doubt. If you take a look at his three-year average, it paints a pretty clear picture of who he is. He's a stay at home, defensive defenseman with next to no offense. Honestly - that's fine. He's going to play on our second or third line, he's going to bring some size (he's 235, one of the heaviest in the NHL) and net-front clearing ability that we need.

Savard2.JPG

Option B - Justin Braun. He's older, but is putting up better relative numbers this year than David Savard. With him still being effective, it's tougher to see him signing here, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Braun.JPG

Option C - Mark Pysyk. We know who he is at this point in his career. His underlying numbers are good. He's a good locker room guy. He's not going to be very tough/physical. He's your third pairing RHD - and will play that role well.

Pysyk.JPG

Obviously Josh Manson fits this role perfectly as well, but there's a next to zero chance he signs here, so I'm not going to entertain that thought.

Our defense corps could end up looking something like:

Dahlin - Murphy
Power - Jokiharju
Samuelsson - Savard/Pysyk/Braun

For our forwards, there's not too many spots up for grabs. I imagine our lines looking something like:

Krebs - Cozens - Quinn
Asplund - Mittelstadt - Okposo
Girgensons - ?? - Hayden

For our 4C - I'd really love to acquire Nico Sturm. His underlying numbers are fantastic, would fill a need, and possibly an underrated factor is he would bring a fellow German on the team for when Peterka joins our squad. I'm not sure how much of a factor that is, but I've always thought being the only person from your country would be a little lonely at the NHL level - but I digress. Another option at 4C could be bringing back Jankowski, who I've been pleasantly surprised with this year. I'm including Hayden in the lineup as he's one of the few players on our team that brings real grit/toughness. Perhaps Brett Murray could play a similar role in the future?

Sturm.JPG

Our forwards lack physicality, faceoff ability (I'm old school enough to think that *most* faceoffs actually do matter) and experience. Mittelstadt is still a huge question mark, Asplund has solid underlying numbers but lacks physicality, the Krebs - Cozens - Quinn line are babies, and Thompson hasn't proven that he can keep up this level of play long-term. However, there's not many options here. None of the players are realistically being traded, so we have to make due with what we have. I'd love to add an experienced forward with more "Jam" that Peters/Rivet like to bring up on their Podcast, but there's not too many options out there. Cal Clutterbuck? Zack Kassian fits that role perfectly if we want another reunion here. Edmonton probably wouldn't mind moving that contract.

As for Goalie, there's two good options in the UFA route in Jack Campbell and Ville Husso. Due to our cap space available for the next couple of years - I wouldn't mind overpaying Campbell for 2 years to be our starter while UPL eventually earns that role (or possibly Levi or Portillo). Husso would demand a longer contract. He has performed far better than Binnington this year in front of the same defense, but perhaps the Sabres would be scared off by bringing on another former Blues backup to be our starter. Both come with risks, but ideally neither are your starter for longer than two years anyways.

Campbell.JPG
Husso.JPG

Finally - and this may be the most important point - is I hope the Pegula's take this seriously. My biggest fear is that the Pegula's continue their "spending freeze" and do next to nothing both at the trade deadline and during free agency. Listening to Brian Gionta on the Peters/Rivet podcast was telling in the sense that coming into the locker room day after day while you're losing can be draining. You can lose your passion for the game, you have a strained relationship with your coaches, and hockey just isn't as fun. While the Pegula's could very well say let's stay the course, use all of our picks and let our team grow organically - they'll miss the point that we need to surround our young players with others that compliment their ability, and can help mentor them/protect them during the game. I don't think the Sabres should spend like crazy and/or trade a bunch of picks. Rather, make 3-4 smart, calculated moves that can both help our team be competitive in the short-term and long-term. If the Pegula's pull another BS stunt like signing two goalies to league-minimum contracts and hiding during the entire season, it'll be close to a death blow to this franchise.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Over the past couple weeks I've been doing a lot of researching about potential Sabres targets for next year. I've listened to the Podcasts, looked at all the advanced stats (Subbed to AllThreeZones, Evolving-Hockey and JFresh - I especially recommend Jfresh's Patreon btw). Tried to get a gauge of how other teams are valuing players/prospects, while taking into consideration our lineup needs in terms of size, toughness, skill etc. This is what I have so far.

1. The absolute, number 1 target for the Sabres needs to be Connor Murphy. I do not want a Tim Murray style rebuild where we throw all of our picks/prospects out in trades and fall flat on our face - but Connor Murphy is absolutely somebody I wouldn't mind giving one of our other 1sts and a bit to acquire. Blackhawks fans seem to think he's worth about a 1st, maybe a tad more (I added a photo of his WAR to this post, from Jfresh's Twitter account last year). He maybe isn't quite as physical as we want, but he can still deliver good hits. He's big, he has term on his contract at a very affordable price, he's a good locker room guy (his interviews, plus trying to go around the Blackhawks forums/searching Twitter has led me to this conclusion). I get that the last time the Sabres traded a first for a defenseman it was a disaster. At 28/29 - Connor Murphy isn't a project. He's going to be a top-four, right shot defensive defenseman in a shutdown role for the remainder of his contract. Even if he regresses, I believe we get our value's worth.

View attachment 509680

2. My family has had Sabres season tickets for as long as I can remember. I'm fairly excited about the Sabres future, but one thing that has stood out to me is our lack of physicality and size (especially on defense). I attended the game against the Avalanche, I noted that Bryson, Jokiharju and Fitzgerald were all just getting bullied off the puck far too easily. In my mind, if we acquire Connor Murphy to be our top-pairing RHD, we're going to want a big, tough guy to play either on the second or third pairing (I'm not really sure if Jokiharju is a second or third pairing kind of guy at this point, to be honest). I'm thinking for this, we will likely have to go the UFA route as to not deplete ourselves of assets. Although it will be difficult to find players that want to sign in Buffalo at the moment.

Option A - David Savard. He's had a rough year in Montreal this year, no doubt. If you take a look at his three-year average, it paints a pretty clear picture of who he is. He's a stay at home, defensive defenseman with next to no offense. Honestly - that's fine. He's going to play on our second or third line, he's going to bring some size (he's 235, one of the heaviest in the NHL) and net-front clearing ability that we need.

View attachment 509684

Option B - Justin Braun. He's older, but is putting up better relative numbers this year than David Savard. With him still being effective, it's tougher to see him signing here, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

View attachment 509685

Option C - Mark Pysyk. We know who he is at this point in his career. His underlying numbers are good. He's a good locker room guy. He's not going to be very tough/physical. He's your third pairing RHD - and will play that role well.

View attachment 509687

Obviously Josh Manson fits this role perfectly as well, but there's a next to zero chance he signs here, so I'm not going to entertain that thought.

Dahlin - Murphy
Power - Jokiharju

For our forwards, there's not too many spots up for grabs. I imagine our lines looking something like:

Krebs - Cozens - Quinn
Girgensons - ?? - Hayden

For our 4C - I'd really love to acquire Nico Sturm. His underlying numbers are fantastic, would fill a need, and possibly an underrated factor is he would bring a fellow German on the team for when Peterka joins our squad. I'm not sure how much of a factor that is, but I've always thought being the only person from your country would be a little lonely at the NHL level - but I digress. Another option at 4C could be bringing back Jankowski, who I've been pleasantly surprised with this year. I'm including Hayden in the lineup as he's one of the few players on our team that brings real grit/toughness. Perhaps Brett Murray could play a similar role in the future?

View attachment 509688

Our forwards lack physicality, faceoff ability (I'm old school enough to think that *most* faceoffs actually do matter) and experience. Mittelstadt is still a huge question mark, Asplund has solid underlying numbers but lacks physicality, the Krebs - Cozens - Quinn line are babies, and Thompson hasn't proven that he can keep up this level of play long-term. However, there's not many options here. None of the players are realistically being traded, so we have to make due with what we have. I'd love to add an experienced forward with more "Jam" that Peters/Rivet like to bring up on their Podcast, but there's not too many options out there. Cal Clutterbuck? Zack Kassian fits that role perfectly if we want another reunion here. Edmonton probably wouldn't mind moving that contract.

As for Goalie, there's two good options in the UFA route in Jack Campbell and Ville Husso. Due to our cap space available for the next couple of years - I wouldn't mind overpaying Campbell for 2 years to be our starter while UPL eventually earns that role (or possibly Levi or Portillo). Husso would demand a longer contract. He has performed far better than Binnington this year in front of the same defense, but perhaps the Sabres would be scared off by bringing on another former Blues backup to be our starter. Both come with risks, but ideally neither are your starter for longer than two years anyways.

View attachment 509690 View attachment 509691

Finally - and this may be the most important point - is I hope the Pegula's take this seriously. My biggest fear is that the Pegula's continue their "spending freeze" and do next to nothing both at the trade deadline and during free agency. Listening to Brian Gionta on the Peters/Rivet podcast was telling in the sense that coming into the locker room day after day while you're losing can be draining. You can lose your passion for the game, you have a strained relationship with your coaches, and hockey just isn't as fun. While the Pegula's could very well say let's stay the course, use all of our picks and let our team grow organically - they'll miss the point that we need to surround our young players with others that compliment their ability, and can help mentor them/protect them during the game. I don't think the Sabres should spend like crazy and/or trade a bunch of picks. Rather, make 3-4 smart, calculated moves that can both help our team be competitive in the short-term and long-term. If the Pegula's pull another BS stunt like signing two goalies to league-minimum contracts and hiding during the entire season, it'll be close to a death blow to this franchise.

Excellent post! Thank you!

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019

View attachment 509680

View attachment 509684

View attachment 509685

View attachment 509687

Dahlin - Murphy
Power - Jokiharju

Krebs - Cozens - Quinn
Girgensons - ?? - Hayden

View attachment 509688

Great post. A couple points to add/continue the dialogue:
  • I think we can do better than Asplund at 3LW - ideally I would like to see him on the 4th line.
  • Would like to see a Samuelsson/Joki 2nd pairing to start the year, with a 3rd pairing Power/physical stay-at-home D mentor
  • The Sabres definitely need more jam in the bottom six and in the D-corps. It has to be a priority this off-season.
  • love the idea of Peterka starting the year in Roch, but as the first call-up. He should still get a bunch of games in BUF.
  • Let’s not shy away from competition at all spots. Yes we want the kids to fill spots, but they also should be feeling the heat to earn those spots. Adding a couple key vets could go a long way.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Would like to see a Samuelsson/Joki 2nd pairing to start the year, with a 3rd pairing Power/physical stay-at-home D mentor
Then what to do with Pysyk? He played minutes of the second pair and looked better than Joki this season. But on the other hand, I agree that finding an experienced and physical RD to play with Power would make sense, a dilemma.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Great post. A couple points to add/continue the dialogue:
  • I think we can do better than Asplund at 3LW - ideally I would like to see him on the 4th line.
  • Would like to see a Samuelsson/Joki 2nd pairing to start the year, with a 3rd pairing Power/physical stay-at-home D mentor
  • The Sabres definitely need more jam in the bottom six and in the D-corps. It has to be a priority this off-season.
  • love the idea of Peterka starting the year in Roch, but as the first call-up. He should still get a bunch of games in BUF.
  • Let’s not shy away from competition at all spots. Yes we want the kids to fill spots, but they also should be feeling the heat to earn those spots. Adding a couple key vets could go a long way.

Yeah, I mostly kept Asplund/Okposo on the same line due to Granato's comments about loving them on the wing together. I figure they'll be linemates for a while and I don't think they'll slip to the 4th line.

I toyed with the Power - Stay at home D pairing, ultimately went with Jokiharju because I think their skillsets compliment each other fairly well, although the stay at home D could provide a calming, steady presence for Power. It remains to be seen how much he needs that though (maybe he could be that presence for Jokiharju?).

To your last two points, I totally agree. It feels a bit odd just automatically injecting every young player into a starting role, which is why ultimately Peterka was left off my lineup for 22. I'd imagine we'll at least add a couple additional depth forwards who will compete for a roster spot, but tough to see any top-6 kind of player coming here via UFA.

Reactions: Gimli

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019
Then what to do with Pysyk? He played minutes of the second pair and looked better than Joki this season. But on the other hand, I agree that finding an experienced and physical RD to play with Power would make sense, a dilemma.

I’m wishing Pysyk well and thanking him for his contributions this year. He’s a good soldier and has a place in the league, but he’s a role player, and I want a different kind of player in his #6 D spot.

Reactions: Team Cozens

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I'll go back and read this thread but I don't see Hino here and for that matter I don't see Olie here. I'll say Pekar makes it! We will need to pay someone some where though

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

View attachment 509680

View attachment 509684

View attachment 509685

View attachment 509687

Dahlin - Murphy
Power - Jokiharju

Krebs - Cozens - Quinn
Girgensons - ?? - Hayden

View attachment 509688

Awesome post!

I was initially cold on the Murphy idea but I admit it has grown on me. Just one question, why would the Blackhawks want to trade him?

Also, What's your plan with VO? Was he left out because you don't see him as part of the long term roster plan or was it just an oversight?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I was initially cold on the Murphy idea but I admit it has grown on me. Just one question, why would the Blackhawks want to trade him?
Based on Hawks' board, they don't seem to mind trading him.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Awesome post!

Also, What's your plan with VO? Was he left out because you don't see him as part of the long term roster plan or was it just an oversight?

I don’t think anything has came out specifically saying the Hawks are shopping him, but it makes sense. He’s 28 (turning 29 next month) and signed for 4 more years. The Hawks don’t look to be competing any time soon with cap problems + Toews and Kane coming to the end of their career. Murphy doesn’t really fit with their timeline going forward and can be used to jumpstart a rebuild.

I assume VO will be traded, but it’s tough to find a good place for him in the lineup anyways. At his best he’s a PP specialist with an excellent shot, but who’s below average at pretty much everything else.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
There's no realistic UFA RHD target. They have the cap to pay Klingberg or Subban, but I just don't see it happening. After those two it gets very thin. Colin Miller is one of the more attractive options.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Maybe Justin Schultz?

The Kings are overloaded with RHD at the moment and I think they'll be looking to move one before next season. Their NHL guys are Doughty, Matt Roy, Sean Durzi, and Sean Walker (LTIR). Grans and Spence are tearing up the AHL and knocking on the door. And they also have Brandt Clarke and Brock Faber playing well in Juniors/college. I'd target Roy if I were the Sabres. He's 26 and makes a little over $3m per for the next two seasons. He's a solid, physical two-way, who owns a wicked point shot and jumps up into the play a lot. He'd be a solid add to the Sabres group.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yeah, I mostly kept Asplund/Okposo on the same line due to Granato's comments about loving them on the wing together. I figure they'll be linemates for a while and I don't think they'll slip to the 4th line.

I toyed with the Power - Stay at home D pairing, ultimately went with Jokiharju because I think their skillsets compliment each other fairly well, although the stay at home D could provide a calming, steady presence for Power. It remains to be seen how much he needs that though (maybe he could be that presence for Jokiharju?).

To your last two points, I totally agree. It feels a bit odd just automatically injecting every young player into a starting role, which is why ultimately Peterka was left off my lineup for 22. I'd imagine we'll at least add a couple additional depth forwards who will compete for a roster spot, but tough to see any top-6 kind of player coming here via UFA.
Makes a lot of sense but I tend to see Paterka as having similar abilities as Asplund with higher offensive upside.
Between JJ, Vinny and VO I think with everyone healthy we'll see Girgs and Okie reunited and Hino on a line with a couple skilled younger guys.
We all know that we could use a little more experience and toughness in the forward group and I'm wondering if we'll have to sacrifice a good young player to make room. Maybe VO is the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad