Your likely 2023-24 Scapegoat

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I assume this is for playoff failures ?

He seems to be really good in the regular season, but disappears come playoff time, or am I missing something?
Mostly. He’s starting to dip in the regular season too. Way too much of his offense now comes off the PP and he stands on the perimeter flinging the puck around. Won’t go to the hard areas anymore. He’s a shadow of what he once was, despite his point totals in the regular season still being good. The way he plays has also caused line problems for the team with him asking to not play with Kakko, and requiring that one of his line mates be a total grinder that digs pucks out of the corner.

The playoff stuff is what matters the most. The other stuff can be tolerated.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Jokiharju. It’s through no fault of his own because Adams didn’t go out and get a top 4 defenseman. So now Joker will again be playing big minutes with Dahlin and don’t think he’s equipped to handle them.

Would love to be wrong because I really like Joker and he’s had some tough injury luck. The metrics said him and Dahlin together last year in their minutes was solid. But over a whole year, we will see.

Doesn’t Dahlin play the right side with Samuelsson? And then you have Power who can be with Clifton? And then Joker/Bryson/Johnson are your bottom pair options?

For the Rangers it will rotate all year. We simultaneously hate and love everyone we have. Standouts though will be Laf, Trouba, Panarin if he is playing as lazy and turnover prone as last year.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Doesn’t Dahlin play the right side with Samuelsson? And then you have Power who can be with Clifton? And then Joker/Bryson/Johnson are your bottom pair options?

For the Rangers it will rotate all year. We simultaneously hate and love everyone we have. Standouts though will be Laf, Trouba, Panarin if he is playing as lazy and turnover prone as last year.
Bryson isn't even part of the equation, most assume unless he has an amazing camp that he will be put through waivers. Due to the amount of RD we currently have, a lot of writers / our forum feel the pairings will end up something like this.

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Power-Clifton
Samuelsson-Johnson

Stillman

Taking the load off the Top 4 over the course of the year and playing Dahlin with Samuelsson in end of game situations or when Jokiharju is going dumb dumb mode.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Torey Krug for sure.

It could be the entire defense but Krug will definitely lead the way since he blocked that Philadelphia trade in June.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Due to the amount of RD we currently have, a lot of writers / our forum feel the pairings will end up something like this:

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Power-Clifton
Samuelsson-Johnson

Stillman

Taking the load off the Top 4 over the course of the year and playing Dahlin with Samuelsson in end of game situations or when Jokiharju is going dumb dumb mode.

I guess that makes sense for regular season and not late game defending a lead situations. The Rasmus/Sammy combo is so good though, I wouldn’t want to separate them. Sammy is somewhat wasted in the bottom pair and flipping him and Joker doesn’t look like it would hurt that bad. Especially if EJ can stay healthy because he’d be a solid vet to play with HJ.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I guess that makes sense for regular season and not late game defending a lead situations. The Rasmus/Sammy combo is so good though, I wouldn’t want to separate them. Sammy is somewhat wasted in the bottom pair and flipping him and Joker doesn’t look like it would hurt that bad. Especially if EJ can stay healthy because he’d be a solid vet to play with HJ.
You won't hear a disagreement from me, however I wouldn't be surprised to see Sammy with Power either. I believe they had better underlying numbers together than Dahls and Sammy last year.

Reactions: LokiDog

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
James Reimer.

Aside from catastrophic injuries, the only reason that Detroit doesn't improve this season is goaltending being awful.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Torey Krug for sure.

It could be the entire defense but Krug will definitely lead the way since he blocked that Philadelphia trade in June.
Between that and people still associating him with Petro leaving it’s Krug 1000%.

Runner up will be Kyrou because he’s not Bergeron 2.0

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Between that and people still associating him with Petro leaving it’s Krug 1000%.

Runner up will be Kyrou because he’s not Bergeron 2.0

I was going to say it will be:
Kyrou
Krug/Parayko. Probably Krug but theres an outside chance Parayko will get every single D-zone start and people will blame him for all our defensive woes even if we pull our goalie with 20 minutes left in the first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mitch Marner is well positioned to be the scapegoat again if Leafs fail another time in the playoffs.
Is it a scapegoat when his play dips the way it does in the playoffs? Isnt a scapegoat someone who gets blamed no matter what. Marners performance warrants the discussion.

In Ottawa its D.J Smith. Its all the posters that talk about 'systems' that dont even know how to identify one. Now it very well maybe him as its the first time they have had a team that has a roster that is built properly and has the talent to compete for a playoff spot. So it might be deserved at this point. However he will get blamed for many things that arent his fault along the way as well. My favorite one last year was it was DJ's fault that Debrincat was missing so many open looks.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think Bunting will be a super popular scapegoat and player to complain about for the Canes as he'll likely take some dumb penalties leading to goals against at critical times and games lost. That said I think it'll be misplaced, just an easy/convenient thing to see and get upset about; I think his overall impact will be positive and the good will outweigh some of the dumb penalties/hotheaded moments. But we shall see.

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
It's amazing how dedicated my fanbase is to having one of these every season. Some of them are understandable I must admit though (*cough* Yandle *cough*). But some are kind of head scratchers.
I can't really guess right now who it will be at this moment. But I can say it will be one.
I'd imagine it would be ekblad

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Avs:
F: Nichushkin (he can't under-perform after the playoff mess)
D: Manson or Girard (both have already had their share)
G: Whoever ends up being the cursed 3rd Goalie

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Huberdeau and Lindholm seem like the obvious choices. If they can't produce together with a coach coming in knowing that it's his job to get them going shits gonna get ugly.

Kadri I think people know what to expect. Half the time he looks like a 1C, the other half he looks like hes floating. Still need to find him wingers he gels with but it won't be a big story.

If Markstrom struggles Wolf is there, If they both struggle, again it's going to get ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad