Your likely 2023-24 Scapegoat

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Knights are due a Cup hangover, so I can see any of Hill, Karlsson, Eichel, Martínez or Pietrangelo getting blamed for a slow start.

Curious to see which player not being “on” hinders the collective sum first.
Probably Pietrangelo if any of those guys. Vegas fans have loved mythologizing players with good stories. Like there's real vitriol that had followed every transaction sending away an "original misfit." So they're not gonna go after Karlsson and his legendary speech+OG status. Not gonna go after the goaltender that won us a cup. Not gonna go after Eichel who led the cup winner in scoring. Martinez I feel like fans understand he's older and closer to retirement.

If anything I would think people would go after Barbashev given he's the new guy who was resigned at the expense of Reilly Smith, a year one first liner people were hoping to see be a career VGK player. I mean some Knights fans (including my own boss) legitimately argued that Stone coming back for Game 1 Round 1 was the reason we lost that game because it "disrupted chemistry" (like no, they just didn't play like they were ready for the playoffs). So I can easily see Vegas fans pinning a slow start on Barbie.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhataKnight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim is tough to say. New coach will probably get some benefit of the doubt.

Fowler has always been a bit of a whipping boy so he's a good candidate. If Zegras drags out contract negotiations well into camp I can see Ducks fans getting frustrated with him if he doesn't perform. The problem with doing this for the Ducks is I think of whipping boy as the guy most blamed for a team's struggles but I feel like there's plenty of candidates that could get "God this guy sucks" treatment.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
For the Kraken it’s Philip Grubauer. For the Panthers Sergei Bobrovsky. Both goalies were phenomenal during last year’s playoffs, and at their cap hits the fans will rightly expect more consistency during the season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm thinking Martinez if he slows down(he has too much respect from the coaching staff to get taken off the top pairing)

Or Comtois if he and Amadio form the 3rd line and Dorofeyev can't crack the lineup.

Barbashev and Hill are good candidates as well. Might as well include Stephenson, if he signs an extension north of 7m...Eichel is expected to hit 90pts. It's easier to name a player that won't be a whipping boy. Whip em all.

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
For the Devils its easy to say Vanecek but if the other parts of the team faulter I can see Timo Meir catching some early criticism due to his newness still and his contract

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Why does it feel like the correct answer for all 32 teams should be "The Refs"?
Sure, many of the players, GMsor coaches will get criticized,but I doubt any of them will get the same heat the refs get for every single game, and in most cases from both fanbases who argue about which team got screwed worse by the officials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad