OT: Your Job?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I honestly think the world changed from this....will see a permanent basic guaranteed income for everyone pretty soon in Canada...from the polls i seen the majority of Canada wants one,and are willing to pay a little extra in taxes to fund it .

The Liberals got unlimited spending power until Sept 30th....it might be rammed thru by then

Anyone collecting UBI won’t be paying a little extra for it. They are asking folks that are means tested out of programs like UBI (and the CCB) to pay more.

I am a big believer in progressive taxation and the social welfare system but paying people to watch Netflix is where I tap out.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I am using deep learning for geriatric applications and a variety of musculoskeletal segmentation applications, e.g. orthopedic surgery planning. The geriatric one will involve fall detection for airbag deployment, either garment or smart room-based. Both of them, geriatrics and orthopedics, are massive markets.

Any projected delivery date?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just your regular 9 to 5 job.

I'm a forklift operator. Didn't graduate high school so.. (I made some bad life choices :dunno:)

Anyway, the good thing about it though is that it's classified as "essential." I'm in the food industry so I'm always going to have a job no matter what happens out there.

It's very scary and risky, though..

Stay safe! thanks!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Just your regular 9 to 5 job.

I'm a forklift operator. Didn't graduate high school so.. (I made some bad life choices :dunno:)

Anyway, the good thing about it though is that it's classified as "essential." I'm in the food industry so I'm always going to have a job no matter what happens out there.

It's very scary and risky, though..

Thanks for your service. Everyone out there who is working is earning a lot more than $ right now.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Thanks for your service. Everyone out there who is working is earning a lot more than $ right now.

Well, we've been without contract for over 2 years. I wish we could be earning more right now, somewhat.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
No. All duties were paid oniline 2 days prior to scheduled deliviery, there were 4 people home and he just delivired a notice. I had to risk my life and go to a local pharmacy to pick the package up. Obviosuly I am not impresssss. :sarcasm:

I'm a bit surprised honestly. We have directives to not leave cards unless it's passport, pot or it has custom fees (or any other fees for the matter). It's the first time that we can literally leave the package at the door, ring the bell and leave. I feel bad for almost running away at the same time haha

I mean.. even if there's a signature needed on the package, we ignore it. Job has never been so easy and so low for a long time.

Still wishing for an augmentation though. We should get it this summer but then... who knows.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
One of the lucky ones deemed "essential" working in a bank. Even get to put in some overtime over the past few weeks which I gladly do considering there's nothing else going on.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wife just lost her job today (at least temporarily) so that sucks. I'm still working though. Yay!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Wife just lost her job today (at least temporarily) so that sucks. I'm still working though. Yay!
Sorry to hear that! I hope she's eligible for EI, at least. My wife's upstairs in her new makeshift office while I hide in the basement, pretending to work. I'm self employed and still have clients, but some have dropped off the map for now. In theory, the jobs that were paused will come back later, but who knows...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sorry to hear that! I hope she's eligible for EI, at least. My wife's upstairs in her new makeshift office while I hide in the basement, pretending to work. I'm self employed and still have clients, but some have dropped off the map for now. In theory, the jobs that were paused will come back later, but who knows...
Thanks.

We'll be okay, I'm working. I'm pretty sure she can apply for some UI.

Reactions: lo striver

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
i honestly think the government does enough as is. I’d rather not pay more taxes.
We need to reduce the role of government and give people’s hard earned cash back to them. I’m not a UBI supporter. Who is going to pay for it?

I’d love to be able to drive wages up somehow, but more people dependant on government is exactly what we don’t need. For an unforeseen event like this I support short term relief for those that need it, but a permanent UBI is not what we need imo.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Software developer/systems architect for a small local business.

Was initially reduced to a 4 day work week, but I got a call today informing me that they are moving me back to a 5 day work week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad