OT: Your Job?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
So after asphalt work was declared an essential service we are actually going from 8 hour shift back to 12 a day and we're expanding from 4 to 6 guys. Its reassuring know I won't have to worry about my finances, but I was thinking about getting another dog if I was going to be home all day.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Toilet paper salesperson as of late...

fa99ef7571f31e73604121b748ae3056.gif

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hey all - My heartfelt thoughts to those going through tough times. If you're able, temper the negative emotions with the assurance that jobs will return. If you filled a need before, you will again, even if it's elsewhere. Or you can find a new need to fill.

My work looks the same. I do marketing shit - copywriting, graphic design, social media feeds - and I continue to work on my own from a computer, just like always. There's been a drop in business, but it's subtle. Some clients are calling, but other projects have dropped off the map. I was supposed to write a series of interviews for the Jewish General Hospital; obviously they're somewhat preoccupied at the moment. Other clients have gone dark, including two who owe me decent amounts of money. I'm okay, they'll eventually pay and the projects will be rebooted, plus my wife's still working so the household is under control. It's just cramped. My wife moved her computers back home last week, so she's upstairs while I hole up in my basement office. I can't pick up my laptop and go to a cafe or restaurant to change the scenery, which I do pretty often during the week.

I'm also a professional musician and have had a few gigs cancelled in the past two weeks. Frustrating. At least my guitar and piano are within 15 feet of me right now, and I spent this afternoon recording a clip with my sons. Acoustic three-part harmony of a classic 70s tune. That was fun!

Reactions: angusyoung

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Network and Security consultant, quite busy at the moment but also so much uncertainty as customers not sure where to go with projects and where previous recommendations stand in the current climate. We will get through this!

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Hey all - My heartfelt thoughts to those going through tough times. If you're able, temper the negative emotions with the assurance that jobs will return. If you filled a need before, you will again, even if it's elsewhere. Or you can find a new need to fill.

My work looks the same. I do marketing shit - copywriting, graphic design, social media feeds - and I continue to work on my own from a computer, just like always. There's been a drop in business, but it's subtle. Some clients are calling, but other projects have dropped off the map. I was supposed to write a series of interviews for the Jewish General Hospital; obviously they're somewhat preoccupied at the moment. Other clients have gone dark, including two who owe me decent amounts of money. I'm okay, they'll eventually pay and the projects will be rebooted, plus my wife's still working so the household is under control. It's just cramped. My wife moved her computers back home last week, so she's upstairs while I hole up in my basement office. I can't pick up my laptop and go to a cafe or restaurant to change the scenery, which I do pretty often during the week.

I'm also a professional musician and have had a few gigs cancelled in the past two weeks. Frustrating. At least my guitar and piano are within 15 feet of me right now, and I spent this afternoon recording a clip with my sons. Acoustic three-part harmony of a classic 70s tune. That was fun!
You should livestream yourself playing guitar. @Lafleurs Guy can join in and provide vocals.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You should livestream yourself playing guitar. @Lafleurs Guy can join in and provide vocals.
Actually, I was asked to livestream an acoustic set last week at a Montreal club, but they cancelled at the last minute. Would've been fun. My sons have become really good at learning the harmony parts I teach them. Gotta say the clip we recorded this aft sounded pretty good, which they promptly entered in this Living Rooms Got Talent thing on Instagram. Not surprisingly, with everyone locked down home recordings are popping up faster than bottom-six forwards on the Habs.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's crazy. I talked with my colleague yesterday (who is also still employed) and before this pandemic, we were easily 1000+ full time employees in our hotels and restaurants, and we're presently less than 30 people left.

What a disaster. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
It's crazy. I talked with my colleague yesterday (who is also still employed) and before this pandemic, we were easily 1000+ full time employees in our hotels and restaurants, and we're presently less than 30 people left.

What a disaster. It makes me sick to my stomach.

3 billion people are locked into their homes....allowed to shop for groceries..never thought i'd see such a thing....

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Project manager in aerospace. Currently forced to take EI. Not that bothered by it, I worry more about people living paycheck to paycheck.

I honestly think the world changed from this....will see a permanent basic guaranteed income for everyone pretty soon in Canada...from the polls i seen the majority of Canada wants one,and are willing to pay a little extra in taxes to fund it .

The Liberals got unlimited spending power until Sept 30th....it might be rammed thru by then

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I honestly think the world changed from this....will see a permanent basic guaranteed income for everyone pretty soon in Canada...from the polls i seen the majority of Canada wants one,and are willing to pay a little extra in taxes to fund it .

The Liberals got unlimited spending power until Sept 30th....it might be rammed thru by then

i honestly think the government does enough as is. I’d rather not pay more taxes.

Reactions: lo striver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->