OT: Your Job?

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Ex-teacher and freelance photographer, however I've been working as a train conductor for one of the country's major freight railroads for the past couple of years. I'd love to keep working in photography to some extent but the long and irregular hours of the railroad make it nigh impossible to do much outside of personal projects.

Wow - one of my abiding memories of our road trip from Banff to Vancouver was watching a 3-minute-long train rumble through Banff station.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I could tell you but then I’d have to kill all of you and with all the lockdowns, social distancing, border closures that’s just way too hard these days. This is all I can say for now

C49AA976-DE52-464B-94F1-0107E0AC3C1C.jpeg

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Ex teacher who found the jobs dried up several years ago. Applied for anything and everything as life was literally bread and jam, wound up in insurance. Been there ever since

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Paramedic. A wonderful job whole of time. Maybe the Worst job to do right now with the covid. Every day i bring to the hospital someone with breathing problem. Suspicious covid every time

Thank you for everything you are doing. Stay safe out there!

Reactions: Hins77

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Carpenter for a medium size contractor. We are ( were )currently building About 32 housing units already sold for July 1st, and have a full booked calendar at the present time up to mid feb. 2021. It”s hard to imagine the reverse domino effect being created right now. Families having to leave their current house or appt and not having their new home built is gonna be a real cluster#^k soon.
Fingers crossed that there is a way that we get back to work and do 80hrs/week asap to make up time.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Used to work for a big electronic musical instruments manufacturer and distributor in Montreal. When I quit in last summer, business was already down, Amazon was killing mom and pop stores and the trade war with China hiked up the prices and reduced the margins. There were 5 salesmen in Canada.

Checked up on my old colleagues on last week, only one sales guy remains.
The rest of the team, some relatively new hires and day one guys have been laid off due to this pandemic. And we're only ONE MONTH in.
A lot of businesses will not survive this. If your store doesnt have strong presence on the web, your basically done imo.

Sad stuff all around.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm a Systems Architect at a company that provides data analysis and targeted market research for Big Pharma.

Reactions: lo striver

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
That's us:

Therapeutic discovery and development
Led by Dr. Art Cherkasov, VPC
and UBC scientists have joined forces with experts around the world including collaborations with Cambridge in the UK, Memorial Sloan-Kettering in New York, University of North Carolina Pharma Science, and Enamine, the biggest small molecule supplier in the world, in the Ukraine to find an antiviral therapeutic treatment. This work is being funded through a CIHR grant and generous donatines from Teck Resources and Telus.

By utilizing an existing artificial intelligence-augmented technology called “Deep Docking”, Dr. Cherkasov’s group has quickly scanned 1.3 billion known chemical compounds and through a process of elimination, has arrived at a shortlist of the top 100 candidate protease inhibitors that could lead to an antiviral therapeutic treatment. The technology allowed this work to take weeks, rather than years. These in silico results will proceed through our Centre’s well-established translational research pipeline, in collaboration with multiple labs around the world to accelerate promising therapeutics from bench to bedside.

COVID-19 Research | Vancouver Prostate Centre

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
That's us:

Therapeutic discovery and development
Led by Dr. Art Cherkasov, VPC
and UBC scientists have joined forces with experts around the world including collaborations with Cambridge in the UK, Memorial Sloan-Kettering in New York, University of North Carolina Pharma Science, and Enamine, the biggest small molecule supplier in the world, in the Ukraine to find an antiviral therapeutic treatment. This work is being funded through a CIHR grant and generous donatines from Teck Resources and Telus.

By utilizing an existing artificial intelligence-augmented technology called “Deep Docking”, Dr. Cherkasov’s group has quickly scanned 1.3 billion known chemical compounds and through a process of elimination, has arrived at a shortlist of the top 100 candidate protease inhibitors that could lead to an antiviral therapeutic treatment. The technology allowed this work to take weeks, rather than years. These in silico results will proceed through our Centre’s well-established translational research pipeline, in collaboration with multiple labs around the world to accelerate promising therapeutics from bench to bedside.

COVID-19 Research | Vancouver Prostate Centre
This sounds cool. I like the idea of combining deep neural networks with biomed applications. It's part of my toolbox too, albeit not at the same scales as you. On a related note, Yoshua Bengio, who shared the Turing prize last year for DNNs, was in my Bachelor's class, McGill Elec. Eng. class '86. He was colossally bright back then too.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Carpenter for a medium size contractor. We are ( were )currently building About 32 housing units already sold for July 1st, and have a full booked calendar at the present time up to mid feb. 2021. It”s hard to imagine the reverse domino effect being created right now. Families having to leave their current house or appt and not having their new home built is gonna be a real cluster#^k soon.
Fingers crossed that there is a way that we get back to work and do 80hrs/week asap to make up time.

Yeah, that's a serious problem - very serious! Imagine the moving nightmare if, come July 1st, as it likely won't be, this isn't resolved yet.

That lines up to be a serious rampage in the streets.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
This sounds cool. I like the idea of combining deep neural networks with biomed applications. It's part of my toolbox too, albeit not at the same scales as you. On a related note, Yoshua Bengio, who shared the Turing prize last year for DNNs, was in my Bachelor's class, McGill Elec. Eng. class '86. He was colossally bright back then too.

What's interesting is that our field of research is cancer, especially prostate, but that kind of expertise can be applied to any protein really, so we offered it for covid-19 and they liked it. We will receive the first ba5ch of compounds in a few weeks.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
What's interesting is that our field of research is cancer, especially prostate, but that kind of expertise can be applied to any protein really, so we offered it for covid-19 and they liked it. We will receive the first ba5ch of compounds in a few weeks.
I am using deep learning for geriatric applications and a variety of musculoskeletal segmentation applications, e.g. orthopedic surgery planning. The geriatric one will involve fall detection for airbag deployment, either garment or smart room-based. Both of them, geriatrics and orthopedics, are massive markets.

Apr 28, 2010
Just your regular 9 to 5 job.

I'm a forklift operator. Didn't graduate high school so.. (I made some bad life choices :dunno:)

Anyway, the good thing about it though is that it's classified as "essential." I'm in the food industry so I'm always going to have a job no matter what happens out there.

It's very scary and risky, though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad