OT: Your Job?

Death

Formerly reaping souls as Death ...
Apr 24, 2014
France, Alps
I'm ... I don't even know how to call it in english, in french : accompagnant éducatif et social. Basically, I go to elderly and/or handicapped people's homes and help them try to remain autonomous, or gain autonomy (when people are back from surgery and need to stay home for a while). I do an incredible amount of things with and for them. Not the easiest job but these people can't drive, or even walk most of the time. I spend time with them, sometimes they have no family or friends, they need help with everything : to wash themselves, to get up, to walk (with canes/walkers/wheelchairs , to prepare food, do their shopping (food mostly), basic housecleaning ...
I'm also here to advise them regarding their health and security, trying to teach them good habits, make them aware of the technical solutions (mechanized beds, walkers, ...) which could help them ease their difficulties. Still, the best part of the job is to enter people's lives, share each other's stories, have some fun together and building a relationship.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Semi-retired GDT video and photo editor. Professional Dorito eater and working on my PHD on video game playing.

On a serious note, just trying to keep safe. I am a senior IT manager and have worked at home 100% since 2008 so staying in is nothing new for me. As work is a little quiet, I am working on my new PC build during my down time as I used to be a PC enthusiast in my younger day. Purists will hate my new PC but superficial people like me will love it. I got more RGB lights in my new rig than key core components...

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Former DJ and quasi-serious gamer, now someone who plays turn-based strategy games and works in regulatory compliance. Living the dream, but grateful that the compliance dream can be lived via a laptop from home and pays pretty well!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Power engineer at an asphalt company. No one puts down asphalt in the winter, so I had the last few months off, just got back last week...

Sounds like road work and infrastructure will be considered an essential service though, so chances are I don't have to continue my hibernation.

The trickier part is that with my new extended contract I decided to move into a bigger place and get some new furniture. I'm moving at the end of the week and I just kind of have to hope that my uhaul will still be where it's supposed to be, my furniture will be delivered, I can get internet hooked up at the new place, I can even set up my utilities easily (not guaranteed in a town of 500 that doesn't do business over the phone or by internet). Should be fun!

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Former DJ and quasi-serious gamer, now someone who plays turn-based strategy games and works in regulatory compliance. Living the dream, but grateful that the compliance dream can be lived via a laptop from home and pays pretty well!

Huzzah, a man of quality. What are you playing?

Reactions: Walrus26

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Ex-teacher and freelance photographer, however I've been working as a train conductor for one of the country's major freight railroads for the past couple of years. I'd love to keep working in photography to some extent but the long and irregular hours of the railroad make it nigh impossible to do much outside of personal projects.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Started cégep on 2004.

Graduated from cégep in 2019.

Just started University.

Will probably be old enough to retire once I graduate.

(In the meantime I’m working for a company specialized in computer repairs, closed right now, and completing an internship in a field which I’m not even studying anymore, working from home. My life is a mess but hey I’m still happy I guess)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
First, my sincere wishes to those who've lost their jobs that they are able to come out the other side unscathed. This absolutely sucks for everyone.

I'm one of the lucky ones in that I can work remotely. I recently took on a new job and was expecting to be signficantly busier but in my first few weeks that wasn't the case. It is now that I'm ramped up and now with the virus forcing us to work remotely, I'm probably more productive than I've ever been. It was literally a wall of calls back to back today from 8:30 until now. It's going to be interesting to see how this changes the workforce going forward.

Good luck to everyone. I've been unemployed in the past, it's not fun but it is a unique time for self-reflection. If you have the opportunity to do some exercising at home, take it. The good news is that this should only be temporary.

All the best to you and your families.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I'm ... I don't even know how to call it in english, in french : accompagnant éducatif et social. Basically, I go to elderly and/or handicapped people's homes and help them try to remain autonomous, or gain autonomy (when people are back from surgery and need to stay home for a while). I do an incredible amount of things with and for them. Not the easiest job but these people can't drive, or even walk most of the time. I spend time with them, sometimes they have no family or friends, they need help with everything : to wash themselves, to get up, to walk (with canes/walkers/wheelchairs , to prepare food, do their shopping (food mostly), basic housecleaning ...
I'm also here to advise them regarding their health and security, trying to teach them good habits, make them aware of the technical solutions (mechanized beds, walkers, ...) which could help them ease their difficulties. Still, the best part of the job is to enter people's lives, share each other's stories, have some fun together and building a relationship.
You's good people.
Rest of you are Bergevins compared to this man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad