HF Habs: Your immediate draft class feelings 2019 version

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He’ll be a PP threat. Said predraft, he reminds me of Galchenyuk.
I watched him and my only question mark is if he gets any better ( may have hit his ceiling ). Also, if he can get stronger as well.

I saw him quietly dominate the game. 3 points in an effort you can only describe as safe but effective. I like that part about his game but will it translate.. well those are my answers anyway.

Jul 6, 2016
I watched him and my only question mark is if he gets any better ( may have hit his ceiling ). Also, if he can get stronger as well.

I saw him quietly dominate the game. 3 points in an effort you can only describe as safe but effective. I like that part about his game but will it translate.. well those are my answers anyway.

It will translate IF habs can finally surround their smallish players with bigger, skilled ones.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I know we like Caufield, but Newhook has found another gear and been on a tear.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I know we like Caufield, but Newhook has found another gear and been on a tear.
Yep, has now a better PPG rate than Caufield and he is + 18 while Caufield is a minus 4... Would suck if Newhook has a better NHL carreer than Caufield...

Reactions: Andrei79

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Newhook is third in points on his team, and there is three guys surrounding him with similar hig points totals. Caufiels is first on his team and the second is 9 points behind him and most players are in the minuses. That being said, who knows for sure how they will pan out in the NHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yep, has now a better PPG rate than Caufield and he is + 18 while Caufield is a minus 4... Would suck if Newhook has a better NHL carreer than Caufield...

While Caufield needs to be a lot better defensively, I wouldn't compare them as you have BC in 1st place in the HE with perhaps the greatest coach in NCAA history and a lock to be a HOF as he has over 1000 wins as a coach. Then compare their goaltending, BC has one of the best goalies in the NCAA in Knight, Wisconsin's goalie is not good at all. BC has won 19 of 28 games, Wisconsin was won 11 of 30, in part because their defense sucks, they don't have the goaltending and poor coaching imo.

But to me it wouldn't suck at all if Newhook ends up better, I look at things differently, while you hope for BPA, I look at what we got and how it impacts our team.

Of course as a scout you would want to say I drafted the best player and if you do it likely pays huge dividends to the organization. But for me I would look at is as say Newhook ends up a 70 pt ish player in the NHL and Caufield ends up a 40 goal, 60 ish pt player, but it helps us win then I'm fine with that.

I say that because at 17 it's clearly very difficult to know at 15 or wherever that this 17 year old in 5 years is going to be better then that 17 year old. Of course that's why you scout the guy but there are so many other factors, development, coaching, injuries, situation in terms of joining a functioning organization vs one that's a mess, etc....

Do you know if H-East is a weaker division than the Big-10 though? Big-10 seems pretty strong from what Ive seen so far...

Hockey East is a good bit stronger this year imo. Big 10 is ok, they have Penn St who score a ton and Ohio St, with Minnesota having a decent year. They are the only teams over .500 overall.

In the HE you have BC, Northeastern, UMass, UMass Lowell, Maine, Providence, BU and UNH are all over .500 UConn is just under .500 so that means they have only 2 weak teams and since teams play so much in their own conference then so many games are going to be against teams that have overall winning % at .600 to under just .700% (6 of the 11 teams)

Reactions: Goldenhands

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best player available = consensus from all the central scouting or international scouting. And best player available to the Canadiens own list.

I’m not saying I want to pick Askarov, but it when it’s our turn and he is actually the highest on the Habs list, then they might go for him.

I will always go with the narrative BPA. Always. List are made to have a certain consensus. Don’t reach for need if you believe another player is better or could turn out better.

Who was the consensus BPA when KK was taken 3rd? Was is Zadina or Tkachuk?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Who was the consensus BPA when KK was taken 3rd? Was is Zadina or Tkachuk?
Zadina was the consensus top 3...
Actually I remember that after we got 3rd from the lottery most fans were posting welcome to Montreal Zadina.

Tkachuk was considered top 10 though and many list had him as high as top 3 because of his intangibles.

Buffalo badly wanted Tkachuk and offered us O'reilly for the pick. Which we refused.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zadina was the consensus top 3...
Actually I remember that after we got 3rd from the lottery most fans were posting welcome to Montreal Zadina.

Tkachuk was considered top 10 though and many list had him as high as top 3 because of his intangibles.

Buffalo badly wanted Tkachuk and offered us O'reilly for the pick. Which we refused.

Disagree on that somewhat. Zadina was the popular guy in the 3 spot for most of the year until things changed down the stretch. People seem to value the rankings to start the year, and mid season more than the rankings before the draft. That's weird.

I think there was a waive of talent from 3-7/8 range. Just cause one ranking has Zadina listed 3rd and KK 5th, it don't mean the gap is massive. Someone has to be listed 3rd in that waive of talent.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I was high on him pre-draft but not so sure he was the consensus #3 BPA.
Nah I was making a little joke. In reality, Zadina was the consensus #3 till probably February when KK started rising on every list. On draft day a lot of the publications still had Zadina #3. People here were all about KK , with a few Hughes fans here and there and a strong anti-Tkachuk vibe .

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
To be honest, Zadina was considered #3 but his skating was worrisome and lack of speed and how he could have been unidimensional type of winger. During that draft year I always liked Tkachuk (not a popular vote amongst us fans that year though) and Noah Dobson, who I still believe will become the best defenceman of that draft, over Hughes.

For this draft, I like Holtz a lot too. The kid already looks to have a good frame and very talented. This is a cool behind the scenes with him. Just put the subtitles.

He has to be about an 8 out of 10 on the Juulsen handsome-0-meter scale so there's that I guess :sarcasm:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nah I was making a little joke. In reality, Zadina was the consensus #3 till probably February when KK started rising on every list. On draft day a lot of the publications still had Zadina #3. People here were all about KK , with a few Hughes fans here and there and a strong anti-Tkachuk vibe .

I would have been happy with any one of KK, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, and Dobson. I think the value pre draft was very close in this waive of talent. I still have high hopes for Kotkaniemi... he was and still is a long term prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad