HF Habs: Your immediate draft class feelings 2019 version

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not necessarily an opinion formed from that tournament, but I always found him a step behind the play, always chasing the puck rather than reading where it's going to be.

And I think he gets away with it, for now, because of his skating. I question if he has the hockey IQ to adapt his game against bigger, faster competition.

MacKinnon faced exactly these struggles in his first few years in the NHL and as a 17 year old at the WJC, and his solution was, instead of adapting his game, to double down on it and develop into a player who is stronger and faster than everyone on the ice. But he's a genetic freak of nature, that's not an avenue that any MacKinnon-lite player will be able to follow. So Newhook will have to find a different answer.

Not sure he was a ''step behind'' because there were times when he picked teams apart. But he had these ''moments.'' Sometimes he'd just stand in one spot and watch the play happen for a few seconds. Like...''whatcha doin, Alex?''

But I do think there's a good player in there somewhere.

Reactions: atrud66

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Caufield may have more superstar potential, but I really liked Newhook's IQ, skill and skating combo. I had both Caufield and Newhook in my top 10 so I'm pretty damn happy regardless.

0c6fV2D.png

Reactions: atrud66 and G0bias

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Not necessarily an opinion formed from that tournament, but I always found him a step behind the play, always chasing the puck rather than reading where it's going to be.

And I think he gets away with it, for now, because of his skating. I question if he has the hockey IQ to adapt his game against bigger, faster competition.

MacKinnon faced exactly these struggles in his first few years in the NHL and as a 17 year old at the WJC, and his solution was, instead of adapting his game, to double down on it and develop into a player who is stronger and faster than everyone on the ice. But he's a genetic freak of nature, that's not an avenue that any MacKinnon-lite player will be able to follow. So Newhook will have to find a different answer.
Newhook is pretty gifted. From a pure tools perspective, he probably had the best all around combo of tools in the draft. I had Newhook over Caulfield, but I'm very happy with Caulfield. The things with Caulfield is that he's small and we're already a small team, as well he needs to be a goal scorer as he's not a guy who can "settle" in as a checker type, his floor is low. But so far, so good, and his ceiling is really limitless. A 40 goals a year type of player is right in his wheelhouse.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not to play the hindsight card since it's so early but how much better would this draft have looked if instead of Fairbrother and LeGuerrier they went Dorofeyev and Lindmark, as Dorofeyev with 4 goals in the KHL already and Lindmark has been impressive with Wisconsin.

Reactions: Andrei79

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
not to play the hindsight card since it's so early but how much better would this draft have looked if instead of Fairbrother and LeGuerrier they went Dorofeyev and Lindmark, as Dorofeyev with 4 goals in the KHL already and Lindmark has been impressive with Wisconsin.
Yeah... who could have predicted that ...

Mathias Macceli is also killing Liiga.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I would have loved it. In fact, with all the picks they had, they likely could have made moves to get all of them. Or, at the very least Dorofeyev + Fairbrother and Lindmark by trading up 1 spot from Niessen. There were a number of puzzling moves last draft however.

Reactions: Fenris

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Dorofeyev should have never fell that low and we should have never traded down when we could have drafted him. We had a million late picks, we didn't need another one and should have gambled on a guy like Dorofeyev.

Reactions: Fenris

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I never saw any of the players involved until now. I usually don't pay much attention to the draft so I'm always behind on seeing these kids. I'm more of an AHL/NCAA fan mostly with Euro games when we have prospects there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never saw any of the players involved until now. I usually don't pay much attention to the draft so I'm always behind on seeing these kids. I'm more of an AHL/NCAA fan mostly with Euro games when we have prospects there.
I was mostly targeting the NHL scouts. Those professional that cant do a better job than a few greasy nerds posting from a basement. (Us)

Dorofeyev is an awesome player and theres no reasons he shouldve slipped so low.

Other ridiculous draft positions
Heinola
Bobby Brink
Nick Robertson

Mysiul also doing really, really well in russia.

All guys I ranked 15+ spots ahead of their actual ranks. Year after year the Habs board does better on a draft position basis than these pros, its disgusting.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was mostly targeting the NHL scouts. Those professional that cant do a better job than a few greasy nerds posting from a basement. (Us)

Dorofeyev is an awesome player and theres no reasons he shouldve slipped so low.

Other ridiculous draft positions
Heinola
Bobby Brink
Nick Robertson

Mysiul also doing really, really well in russia.

All guys I ranked 15+ spots ahead of their actual ranks. Year after year the Habs board does better on a draft position basis than these pros, its disgusting.

I was impressed with Dorofeyev when I saw him for the 1st time in August at the U-20 tournament as he was one of their best players with Morozov and Romanov. They were the best line in the tournament by far.

At the same time it's early. I watched a KHL game the other day and Podkolzin played but didn't notice him at all and he was hit and miss at the U-20 tournament, the 1st game he was invisible but the 2nd game was much better. He didn't get much ice time in the KHL game and I wasn't paying much attention to him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The one that got away. I picked jabroni Nikolayev ahead of him. My first 4 picks in the ''who would you have drafted thread'' would have been Caufield, Dorofeyev, Jones, Maccelli.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

It's not hindsight if everyone knew they were bad picks the day they were made.

Reactions: Andrei79 and Mrb1p

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Remember that you guys said Kakko was better and it was AINEC. I told you nah, but y'all fools.
Kakko is 1 yr younger, he will be great, you cant come with a such conclusion that early in their carreer...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think that Kakko is a better playmaker but Svechnikov has that Pastrnak edge to him. At equal talent more or less I have to go with the bigger, faster and better goalscorer.
Kakko has 1 inch on Svech and should weight at around 215-220 lbs when he reaches his full physical maturity, Svech is more dynamic, but Kakko is basically an hybrid between Forsberg and Jagr, both Svech and Kakko will dominate games, but different ways...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Caufield 9 pts in 6 games
Turcotte 8 pts in 4 games
Brink 6 pts in 6 games
Zegras 5 pts in 5 games
Beecher 4 pts in 6 games
York 3 pts in 3 games
Boldy 1 pt in 5 games
Newhook 1 pt in 5 games

Reactions: Tuggy and KFlint

Ad