Boston Bruins Your favorite and least favorite Bruins’ Trade Deadlines

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Here’s a fun game.

With the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline quickly approaching during this, the Centennial Season, what are your favorite and least favorite Bruins’ Trade Deadlines?

I’m going to stay away from 2011 because it feels too easy and instead go with 2004 as my favorite. My senior year of high school. Bruins acquire Gonchar and Nylander. Going into the playoffs as the #1 seed, the team finally sheds the “unwilling to trade for players to put them over the top” reputation and gears up with the uncertainty of the off-season looming which would lead to a lost season and a major change in course for the organization. We know these moves did not pan out as the B’s experienced another heart breaking game 7 opening series loss to the Canadiens.

Here are some others to jar your memory:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I loved those 2004 moves as well. I also 100% approved of last year's deadline, which obviously led to a similar fate.

Someone pointed out last year that cup-winning teams rarely make a big splash at the deadline.

I'd like to point out that someone with the Bruins should listen very closely to my advice.......and do the opposite!!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If I were being honest, without the benefit of hindsight, 2023 was the best trade deadline on record. Sweeney fleeced his trade partners and added what he thought was exactly what this team needed, grit and defensive depth. The fact it didn't work out is beside the point.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
2004 for me too

The team had been near the top for a couple years but couldn't get over the hump and Thornton had turned into a star. 2004 was already promising with the emergence of Raycroft in net they were coming up to the deadline with a strong roster depth with Thornton, Samsonov, Murray, Knuble, Rolston, Bergeron, Boynton, Axelsson, Slegr.

They\n they finally went out and did what they never did before and were hyper aggressive at the deadline getting by far the best D and forward and going all in. Something I never thought I'd see as someone who grew up on the early 90s teams.

Gonchar for a 1st, 2nd and Morrisonn
Nylander for a 2nd and a 4th

Obviously the 2004 playoffs are infamous now, but that's only because the excitement and expectations were so high with their deadline moves.

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Here’s a fun game.

With the 2024 NHL Trade Deadline quickly approaching during this, the Centennial Season, what are your favorite and least favorite Bruins’ Trade Deadlines?

I’m going to stay away from 2011 because it feels too easy and instead go with 2004 as my favorite. My senior year of high school. Bruins acquire Gonchar and Nylander. Going into the playoffs as the #1 seed, the team finally sheds the “unwilling to trade for players to put them over the top” reputation and gears up with the uncertainty of the off-season looming which would lead to a lost season and a major change in course for the organization. We know these moves did not pan out as the B’s experienced another heart breaking game 7 opening series loss to the Canadiens.
This one makes me the most angry although not for the TDL itself -- as you say, it was a very good one.

My frustration stems from the gross mismanagement of players and their contracts after that. Boston Bruins were in the catbird seat with what should have been the most information of anyone as to what the outcome of the lockout immediately following end of '04 season would be. Perfect position to build off the excellent trade deadline and roster. Instead Jerry and Harry got up to plate in the bottom of the 13th, down 2-1. Two outs and the bases loaded but facing the other team's pitcher who by that point was actually a relief outfielder who threw a 68MPH fastball. What happened? Jerry and Harry stared at a 50MPH "changeup" that went right over the plate while they did their most impressive jaw gaping mouth breathing. Tweedledee and Tweedledum went down looking.

Still to this day pisses me off immensely.

Reactions: BMC

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
If I were being honest, without the benefit of hindsight, 2023 was the best trade deadline on record. Sweeney fleeced his trade partners and added what he thought was exactly what this team needed, grit and defensive depth. The fact it didn't work out is beside the point.
I don't think I'd call what Sweeney did last year a fleecing, he gave up a lot for players that all looked like and ended up being rentals. But it was a very good deadline, and he went all-in on a season that everyone thought would be their last shot at a Cup in a while. He picked up players that on paper were excellent fits and all of them except Hathaway ended up great.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2004 was my favorite as well, Gonchar and Nylander made me feel like we were going all in and going to make a deep playoff run (lmao)

2013 was incredibly memorable - Iginla screwed us over and cost us a cup IMO. But I'm a huge Jagr mark so I was happy to get Jagr, even if he was snakebit as all hell for us.

Least favorite was when Don refused to trade Loui Eriksson's expiring contract and we missed the playoffs anyway, or the time Chiarelli traded two seconds for Brett Connolly who broke his thumb the next day.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. They were perfectly positioned to go the finals. Had they beaten the Panthers, I don't have any doubts that they would have made the finals. A series against Bruce and Vegas would have been a very good one.

Another very positive TD were the two trades with the Caps in 2004. IMO, O'Connell established the team as true cup contenders with those trades. He admitted the two trades were really one trade, but the Caps wanted them announced as separate trades.

After the trade, the team was as follows: The first line was Knuble, Thornton, and Glen Murray. The second line had Nylander centering Samsonov and the rookie Bergeron. The third line was Alexsson, Brian Rolston, and Marty Lapointe (who was an excellent third-line player, just not worth the contract). Zamuner, Green, and Donato were the 4th line, IIRC. The D was O'Donnell-Gonchar; Hal Gill-Boynton; and McGillis-Slegr. Razor and Felix Potvin were the goalies.

Alas, Joe Thornton got hurt and da Broons fell in the first round to the Habs in 7 games, with Thornton going 0-0-0. Worse than that, he played 7 games head-to-head with Koviu, who was the best player in the series. Thornton, being a larger player, should have at least been able to effectively mark Koviu out of the series. Perhaps he shouldn't have played at all.

Jacobs sabotaged the trades for the long term, however. Nylander loved playing for Boston and really wanted to sign at extension to stay. Gonchar had a year left on this contract. Then, of course, the lockout changed everything. Jacobs successfully lobbied for tolling the contracts to make a glut of free agents on the market, theoretically making them cheaper, bc of supply and demand. Then the owners sabotaged themselves by allowing everyone to buyout bad contracts without penalty, changing the balance on supply and demand to being more in favor of the players. Nylander went to the Rangers and Gonchar to the Pens, IIRC. We got the washed up Zhamnov.

Feel free to point out any errors that I made from my memory.

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Last year was outstanding. Brought in a little bit of everything and then some.
Yeah, may be a recency thing but last year was solid. It put an already stacked to the gills team over the top... and then, well...

This was just stupid:

Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Zacha - Krejci - Pastrnak
Bertuzzi - Coyle - Hall
Frederic/Foligno - Nosek - Hathway

How the f*** we squandered that is beyond me.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Least favorite was when Don refused to trade Loui Eriksson's expiring contract and we missed the playoffs anyway, or the time Chiarelli traded two seconds for Brett Connolly who broke his thumb the next day.
I know they weren't the exact same picks but I remember feeling pissed off that Chiarelli threw away a similar pair of 2nd round picks that they got for Boychuk 6 months later for Brett ****ing Connolly.

the Boychuk picks ended up being 2 very good dmen; Carlo and Ryan Lindgren.
Tampa didn't turn their pair of 2nd rounders into anything meaningful.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Agreed. They were perfectly positioned to go the finals. Had they beaten the Panthers, I don't have any doubts that they would have made the finals. A series against Bruce and Vegas would have been a very good one.

Another very positive TD were the two trades with the Caps in 2004. IMO, O'Connell established the team as true cup contenders with those trades. He admitted the two trades were really one trade, but the Caps wanted them announced as separate trades.

After the trade, the team was as follows: The first line was Knuble, Thornton, and Glen Murray. The second line had Nylander centering Samsonov and the rookie Bergeron. The third line was Alexsson, Brian Rolston, and Marty Lapointe (who was an excellent third-line player, just not worth the contract). Zamuner, Green, and Donato were the 4th line, IIRC. The D was O'Donnell-Gonchar; Hal Gill-Boynton; and McGillis-Slegr. Razor and Felix Potvin were the goalies.

Alas, Joe Thornton got hurt and da Broons fell in the first round to the Habs in 7 games, with Thornton going 0-0-0. Worse than that, he played 7 games head-to-head with Koviu, who was the best player in the series. Thornton, being a larger player, should have at least been able to effectively mark Koviu out of the series. Perhaps he shouldn't have played at all.

Jacobs sabotaged the trades for the long term, however. Nylander loved playing for Boston and really wanted to sign at extension to stay. Gonchar had a year left on this contract. Then, of course, the lockout changed everything. Jacobs successfully lobbied for tolling the contracts to make a glut of free agents on the market, theoretically making them cheaper, bc of supply and demand. Then the owners sabotaged themselves by allowing everyone to buyout bad contracts without penalty, changing the balance on supply and demand to being more in favor of the players. Nylander went to the Rangers and Gonchar to the Pens, IIRC. We got the washed up Zhamnov.

Feel free to point out any errors that I made from my memory.

Their misread on the post lockout landscape was so wrong its unbelievable. Im convinced its a deflection story to cover for the fact that Mr Burns didnt want to pay guys to not play and minimized his cost.

the post lockout signing list is much longer and worse than just Zhamnov. Dont forget the murderers row of Isbister, McEachern, Reasoner, Tanabe and the corpse of Leetch,

Reactions: DaBroons and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Their misread on the post lockout landscape was so wrong its unbelievable. Im convinced its a deflection story to cover for the fact that Mr Burns didnt want to pay guys to not play and minimized his cost.

the post lockout signing list is much longer and worse than just Zhamnov. Dont forget the murderers row of Isbister, McEachern, Reasoner, Tanabe and the corpse of Leetch,
What screwed over Jeremy Jacobs' post lockout plan wasn't the compliance buyouts, it was the voluntary 24% salary rollback that the union proposed.

JJ expected there to be a glut of premium free agents, a lot of teams right up against the cap, and the Bruins with a ton of roster openings and cap space to plunder. Then all of a sudden everyone basically gets a coupon for 1/4th of their payroll and the market goes from dead to highly competitive.

That was misread #1. Misread #2 was Mike Modano playing O'Connell like a violin and just using the Bruins as leverage to get a better deal from Dallas. By the time he was done stringing us along and resigned with the Stars, there were no centers left on the market and they had to overpay a washed up Zhamnov.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I loved the 2004 additions…bummer we couldn’t see more of Nylander and/or Gonchar.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
Yeah, may be a recency thing but last year was solid. It put an already stacked to the gills team over the top... and then, well...

This was just stupid:

Bertuzzi - Coyle - Hall

Coaching. He pissed it all away. That was one of the most stacked lineups in post-cap NHL history, and Montgomery played an injured goalie, stopped the rotation, and blew up the D pairs. Should have lost his job so he could get the Jack Adams post-firing.

Anyway, 2011 got us the cup, so there's my vote.

Reactions: McGarnagle

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I became a huge Michael Nylander fan when he joined the Bruins so I will go along with the 2004 TDL. I was so disappointed when JJ f***ed up on what the market would be like with the new CBA & Nylander ended up in New York.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Not going to lie, Last year was amazing

The year we picked up Lee Stampniak was a poopy one for me.

We are talking trade deadlines

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

This was just stupid:

Bertuzzi - Coyle - Hall

Ullmark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad