Boston Bruins Your favorite and least favorite Bruins’ Trade Deadlines

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
2011 is the east one, but I’ll narrow it down as it relates to the current team/GM

Favorite: 2019- Coyle and Johansson were good moves that helped take them to the cup even though the lost. Also retained Coyle who has been a solid piece for his tenure

Least favorite: 2023- spent a lot on rentals for a first round exit and all players are gone with nothing to show for it. Now the bruins have minimal assets so that trade deadline is also negatively impacting future years.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
There are probably others- but the trade deadline where we got Taylor Hall and Curtis Lazar for nothing. Such a steal that many tried to downplay cause of the horrid season Hall had in Buffalo. Krejci FINALLY got someone to play with. Even Mike Reilly that post season was a strong add for nothing.

Least favorite far and away has to be 2013. Went to bed thinking the Bruins landed Jerome Iginla. Woke up to find out they didnt and ended up with Jagr I believe right at the deadline. Nothing against Jagr and it wasnt on him, but I will always wonder what could've been that postseason...

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So many least favorite deadlines......

2004 sticks out to me. Made the biggest deal (Gonchar and Nylander) and still another 1st round defeat knowing the management planned to let all there UFAs leave and a lockout looming.

2012 stands out for the lack of moves. Defending champion and they didn't add anything of note. Given that the 29th ranked offense that year won the cup, a huge missed opportunity.

2013 still has a bit of a sour taste with the Iginla fiasco. Granted, without Jagr we never experience on of the all-time great Bruin games with Game 7 vs. Toronto. But do they win a cup with Iginla over Jagr?

2014 was another missed opportunity. Massive hole on LD and all they can muster is Andrei Mezsaros who never got adjusted to Julien's system. Another hole up front so we got career minor leaguers Matt Fraser and Justin Florek dressing in playoff games. Another year where I felt the Bruins were a better team than the eventually winner Kings.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My favorite trade deadline was probably last years tbh, I was really stoked about adding Bertuzzi/Orlov/Hathaway

My least favorite is the Gonchar/Nylander deadline because i was 12 and the dog I grew up with died that day. I knew who both were and was stoked about the deals but that’s what I always associate those 2 players with lol

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
2011. I remember coming home from the game with my dad when the Chris Kelly deal happened. At first we thought we’d finally landed Kaberle. I went to the Sens board and they said he would be a difference maker in Boston. They weren’t wrong both on and off the ice. It was interesting to read in the Full 60+ to History that Chiarelli had wanted Kelly for quite some time but didn’t want to part with the 2nd rounder and then finally pulled the trigger after the Sens dealt Mike Fisher to Nashville.

Getting the versatile Peverley for oft injured Mark Stuart and a desperately needing a change of scenery Blake Wheeler paid dividends when Pevs took Horron’s spot in the finals. Guy was also tough as nails.

Finally getting Tomas Kaberle may not have been exactly how they had in mind but he was an assist machine in the Cup run.

Charlie Coyle coming home may be Don Sweeney’s best deal but 2023 comes pretty damn close.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Favorite the Nash deadline

Always was a fan and he would have been a super fit without a serious head injury that lingered for months and led to retirement

Loved the regimes ability to get the best FA and take a chance - a harbinger of things to come

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
2011 for obvious reasons and the results.

2013 too. Honestly, I know they didn’t win the whole thing, but seeing Jagr as a Bruin is still something I look back on fondly.

Reactions: UConn126

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Favorite the Nash deadline

Always was a fan and he would have been a super fit without a serious head injury that lingered for months and led to retirement

Loved the regimes ability to get the best FA and take a chance - a harbinger of things to come
He had the same PPG before and after concussion..

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Huh ? Im sitting with a couple people none of us understand this
Nash was not a star at that point in his career. He had a .48 ppg for NYR the year he came to Boston.

He then had near-identical production in Boston before and after his concussion against T-bay.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
2012 and 14 were bad and sealed Chiarelli's fate ultimately

Could have built a dynasty team instead he got some plugs and didn't fill any holes. I can't hate on him too much for 2013 because Iginla f***ed us, and himself honestly, would have beaten Chicago with slightly more firepower and Iginla would have provided that

2018 was rough for Sweeney mainly because Nash got a concussion, he looked really good with Krejci and we blew out Tampa in Game 1.

2019 was an awesome trade deadline and I place the loss that year on Cassidy (60%) and the players (40%), if you want to argue we should have gotten one tough guy fine, 50 to cassidy and 10% to sweeney (I always wonder how that series would have turned out had they gotten Lucic back...but they had Backes and did not play him. Big mistake in the winner take all game not playing the captain of the opponent. Backes would have been flying around out there like Vancouver Giant Memorial Cup lucic)

2020 I don't even remember what we did

2021 we got Hall right? That was a great trade. Another wet fart loss by Cassidy

2022 iirc wasn't anything to write home about

2023 was a fantastic deadline and the players and Montgomery blew it, in addition to the Panthers working hard to earn it.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
2016 was the worst. Basically went halfway-in just to make the playoffs (which they didn't do). 2013 was another bad one because of the Iginla deal. He was a perfect RW for the Bruins and would've made the difference against Chicago.

2019 was a very good deadline.

Reactions: trenton1

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2016 was the worst. Basically went halfway-in just to make the playoffs (which they didn't do). 2013 was another bad one because of the Iginla deal. He was a perfect RW for the Bruins and would've made the difference against Chicago.

2019 was a very good deadline.
2013 was double-edged because not only would Iginla have dominated for us, but he injured Horton's shoulder in their regular season matchup against Pittsburgh and it hampered him all playoffs.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
The year we brought in Gonchar and Nylander. I was so excited for playoffs. Then we choked... again with JT. 2002 Maybe?
2004. Don't forget the pre-deadline pickup of Jiri Slegr in 2004. He still had some juice that year. Nylander was awesome, shame he got concussed. I hate the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad