Your DRW ‘hot takes’

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In my darkest timeline I feel like this current era ain't ever winning shit. I hot take to myself, "This Larkin-led era will never get past the 1st round of the playoffs..."

tenor.gif

Even scarier hot take: Bertuzzi/Larkin/Mantha and Hronek is the 2020 equivalent of Mike Foligno, Dale McCourt, John Ogrodnick and Reed Larson. Howard's goaltending was bad enough to belong in the 1980's.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I had full confidence in Holland to see through the rest of this rebuild. Arguably, more faith than I have in Yzerman making good use of Larkin/Bert/Mantha.

Holland's last 5 first rounders are Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina, and Broberg. That is with 3 picks in the top 10. Outside of Zadina, not the most appealing group of players in the world.

I'll take my chances on Yzerman. (FWIW - I do think I had more of an issue with Tyler Wright as opposed to Holland... but for now that is a packaged deal is seems)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In 2023-2024, the Larkin led Wings will make return to the playoffs and upset a decently heavy favourite in the first round.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This rebuild will fail to win a playoff series and we will be selling off the larkins Manthas etc for a brand new rebuild where we actually draft 1st overall and/or top 3 multiple times and finally win again with the next rebuild where Seider and zadina are the vets.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This rebuild will fail to win a playoff series and we will be selling off the larkins Manthas etc for a brand new rebuild where we actually draft 1st overall and/or top 3 multiple times and finally win again with the next rebuild where Seider and zadina are the vets.

On most days I'm more hopeful than this (in reference to my previous post). At least hopeful in the sense of, "You don't know what will happen. The compounding effect of a series of low-key Draft Pick/Trade/Free-Agency periods and they could have just as good as chance as anyone."

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Very controversial, but my opinion. Yzerman is getting too much credit this year for just 1 good trade (Fabbri) and is not our "saviour" as a lot of people are claiming he is.

Our scouting, a good coach and some better trades are going to get Detroit back to its glory, not just Yzerman himself.

Did anybody expect Yzerman to do anything amazing in his first year with this talentless squad?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I don't think rebuilding the rebuild is all that hot of a take. Hell, I think it is the most likely outcome when you really think about it.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Larkin will not finish his career in Detroit.

I can see that. There's quite a few excellent centers who have moved teams during phase 2 of their career. This wouldn't be much different than suggesting Jason Spezza would finish his career somewhere else when he was 23. Pretty hard to get a full 15+ years in one spot.

We've just been really lucky with the likes of Yzerman, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk all having one NHL team. Add Lidstrom. That's pretty special.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holland's last 5 first rounders are Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina, and Broberg. That is with 3 picks in the top 10. Outside of Zadina, not the most appealing group of players in the world.

I'll take my chances on Yzerman. (FWIW - I do think I had more of an issue with Tyler Wright as opposed to Holland... but for now that is a packaged deal is seems)

2019 Mo Seider

Not exactly a murders row of quality decisions either. 3 pretty questionable top 10 draft picks considering what was on the board when they were selected as well. Vasy (the derpa derpa GOALIE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!) is his best pick there. Where they built that Tampa team was the two top 2 picks he inherited and wonderful later round selections and free agent acquisitions.

I don't actually think we are going to get a very different rebuild than we were going to anyway, I think they are very similar leaders in terms of Holland and Yzerman. Holland talks more, but they see the game quite similarly from everything I have been lead to believe and told.

Svech to me comes down to injuries, I have very little doubt he would be at least a useful 3rd liner ala Connolly without them in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
2019 Mo Seider

Not exactly a murders row of quality decisions either. 3 pretty questionable top 10 draft picks considering what was on the board when they were selected as well. Vasy (the derpa derpa GOALIE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!) is his best pick there. Where they built that Tampa team was the two top 2 picks he inherited and wonderful later round selections and free agent acquisitions.

I don't actually think we are going to get a very different rebuild than we were going to anyway, I think they are very similar leaders in terms of Holland and Yzerman. Holland talks more, but they see the game quite similarly from everything I have been lead to believe and told.

Svech to me comes down to injuries, I have very little doubt he would be at least a useful 3rd liner ala Connolly without them in my opinion.

I liked our draft better last year. Really did not care for Wright, not someone I’d hitch my wagon to.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't really have an issue with those guys where they were drafted. And he also brought in Hronek, Larkin, and Bertuzzi to Detroit. I think Holland had a clear vision for where he was taking the team and the type of team he wanted to build, something I'm not sure Yzerman shares.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't really have an issue with those guys where they were drafted. And he also brought in Hronek, Larkin, and Bertuzzi to Detroit. I think Holland had a clear vision for where he was taking the team and the type of team he wanted to build, something I'm not sure Yzerman shares.

Oh, I misunderstood your previous post and I'm realizing it here.

You're saying that the players Holland drafted may not fit the roster Yzerman wants to build, not that Holland is simply better suited for the rebuild process.

So essentially, you're proposing Yzerman is walking into a half finished kitchen remodel and going, "Welp, we gotta redo the new cabinets and counter-tops again."

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
If there was a dislike button I'd hit it for this post.

People forget that Ned Harkness was once thought of as the next great NHL coach because he was a good college coach. Sometimes being good at lower levels doesn't translate to higher levels. With Blashill we have enough evidence that this is the case. Our roster is bad enough to be a bottom 3 team in the league, but historically bad is a lack of preparation by the coach. Too many times the wings didn't even show up to play.
Historically bad comes down to a lot of things, not just the coach. I would argue a large part of it was the historically bad goaltending and the least talented roster in the league. Blash has proven that he can make the playoffs with a decent roster. It's not like another coach would've used different systems, NHL teams all play pretty much the exact same way 5v5. The improvement of the young players has given him a long enough leash to keep his job for now, Yzerman clearly doesn't think a change is necessary at the moment either. Alas, this is a hot takes thread and we can agree to disagree.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Over Yzerman's duration in Tampa, count the teams that averaged more points during the regular season. Now count the teams that had more playoff wins.

Unless you're of the mindset that a team can't be any good until they win the Cup, what exactly is your measure of roster building?

Reactions: Darkseider

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Hakan Andersson is just an ordinary scout who gets credit for Jim Devellano and Ken Holland having the foresight to invest heavily in European scouting before everyone else. Detroit's success at drafting Europeans conveniently dried up right around the same time that many other teams started heavily scouting in Europe. Detroit's competitive advantage was never Hakan's "super-scout" abilities, but rather the fact that they found an area that was undervalued by the NHL as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00