Your DRW ‘hot takes’

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
1. Wings need to either up their rebuild timeline through trades (incl 4th overall)/ signings or be prepared to deal Bert, Mantha, Fabbri, and likely Larkin in the next couple of seasons and realize we are still at least 5+ years out.

2. The Wings failured both offensively and defensively are due to their defense. Improve the D and our current forward roster could be good enough to compete more than most think it is.

3. Larkin is a #1 center and you can win a cup with a center like him as your number 1. Compare statistical output with Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, and O'Reily.

4. It is better to trade the 4th overall then to take a player that will likely take 2-3 more years to develop. If you think you have a Draft+1 guy then go ahead with the pick.

5. Ras will basically turn in Jordan Stall 2.0 and Veleno never makes it as a full time NHL guy.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Very controversial, but my opinion. Yzerman is getting too much credit this year for just 1 good trade (Fabbri) and is not our "saviour" as a lot of people are claiming he is.

Our scouting, a good coach and some better trades are going to get Detroit back to its glory, not just Yzerman himself.
WHo's giving him any credit? He's the GM of the worst team in the league.

The GM picks the scouts and coaches and conducts the trade. So it's on Stevie, but it's too early to tell so far.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Blashill isn't a bad coach. He's won at every level and will eventually win in the NHL. People forget that the Wings did pretty good under him at the beginning before the roster became the unquestionable worst roster in the league.

His reign at WC for USA hasn't been impressive.

I recall the nickname of Blashcock when he first took over as all he could do was parrot Babcock his mentor.
The rumour of him losing the when playoff rolled around.

Yes his first year with Detroit he still had Datsyuk. Who had his worst offensive production per game since his rookie season, but we can chalk that up to old age and injuries. Zetterberg also had his worst offensive production per game since his rookie season. I think that was when Blash anchored Zetterberg with Abdelkader for the whole year.

Abdelkader did have his last 40 point year under Blash, so big accomplishment there.

Makes me wonder if Blash coaching helped sway Datsyuk into going home.

Tatar also saw an immediate decline in production when Blashill arrived. Somehow magically regained it in Montreal.

There is also the classic Blashill blown 3rd period lead. I mean the team wasn't great, but they often didn't bother showing up in the 3rd when having a lead. Actually, there are many times the team never bothered showing up to start a game either. Blash at providing motivation isn't that good.

But you are right, the team did decline. And he implement systems to get the least out of what he had left. You can still suck and have an enjoyable product on the ice. Instead of the infuriating mess we currently have.

Keep in mind, the fans started questioning when Blashill is going to get fired in 2016!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Blashill isn't a bad coach. He's won at every level and will eventually win in the NHL. People forget that the Wings did pretty good under him at the beginning before the roster became the unquestionable worst roster in the league.

I remember when fans used to say the exact same things about coaches like Dallas Eakins. Blashill is a bad coach and that isn't a hot take it's a fact.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
His reign at WC for USA hasn't been impressive.

I recall the nickname of Blashcock when he first took over as all he could do was parrot Babcock his mentor.
The rumour of him losing the when playoff rolled around.

Yes his first year with Detroit he still had Datsyuk. Who had his worst offensive production per game since his rookie season, but we can chalk that up to old age and injuries. Zetterberg also had his worst offensive production per game since his rookie season. I think that was when Blash anchored Zetterberg with Abdelkader for the whole year.

Abdelkader did have his last 40 point year under Blash, so big accomplishment there.

Makes me wonder if Blash coaching helped sway Datsyuk into going home.

Tatar also saw an immediate decline in production when Blashill arrived. Somehow magically regained it in Montreal.

There is also the classic Blashill blown 3rd period lead. I mean the team wasn't great, but they often didn't bother showing up in the 3rd when having a lead. Actually, there are many times the team never bothered showing up to start a game either. Blash at providing motivation isn't that good.

But you are right, the team did decline. And he implement systems to get the least out of what he had left. You can still suck and have an enjoyable product on the ice. Instead of the infuriating mess we currently have.

Keep in mind, the fans started questioning when Blashill is going to get fired in 2016!
I think he inherited an aging roster that was destined for a rebuild. During the rebuild, many young players have improved and flourished such as Larkin, Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, and Hronek. Detroit management likes him cause he's done great with the younger players. And I realize that hasn't translated into wins yet, but give him a competitive roster that has the makings of at least a playoff team to decide if he's a terrible coach. He's proved that he can make the playoffs with a good roster and have a terrible team with the worst roster in the league, no different than 99% of other coaches in the world.

Reactions: odin1981

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit hires Lane Lambert, lands two solid defensemen and a goalie in free agency, and finishes outside the bottom 5.

And Mantha misses zero games to injury.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
He's proved that he can make the playoffs with a good roster and have a terrible team with the worst roster in the league, no different than 99% of other coaches in the world.
Losing Kronwall and Vanek didn't magically make this team that much worse. Plus Vanek was still available if you really wanted to bring back a scoring winger with 0 defensive sense.

To me Blash proved he can't maximize the output from the assets he does have. He's demonstrated that repeatedly both with Detroit and team USA.

In a league of relative parity, that is exactly what you need from a coach.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Octopus Thrower picks Drysdale @4. Also is high on Veleno based on NHL '18 video game & improvement news.

EDIT="Not So Hot Now....Fat Chance!"

Red Wings: Offense or Defense in First Round of NHL Draft?

Excerpt:

"Of course, all aspects of this team struggled, but I like the forward prospect pool for the Red Wings more than I do the defensive one. I’m not sold on 2016 first round pick Dennis Cholowski given his NHL inconsistencies, and then the few other options outside of Moritz Seider include Gustav Lindström, who played consistently well without many mistakes as a first-year player, Jared McIsaac and Joe Hicketts.
Meanwhile, offensively the team has potential with numerous forwards such as 2015 and 2017 first round picks Evgeny Svechnikov and Michael Rasmussen respectively, along with 2018 first round pick Joe Veleno, who I am high on based on how he turned out in the EA Sports NHL video game, along with news of improvement earlier this year. Add in fellow 2018 first round pick Filip Zadina and combine these forwards with the trio of Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi, and you’re more well off offensively than you are with the Swiss cheese defense out there this past season."
"Take Drysdale and move to the second round."

Reactions: alexislafreniere

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Losing Kronwall and Vanek didn't magically make this team that much worse. Plus Vanek was still available if you really wanted to bring back a scoring winger with 0 defensive sense.

To me Blash proved he can't maximize the output from the assets he does have. He's demonstrated that repeatedly both with Detroit and team USA.

In a league of relative parity, that is exactly what you need from a coach.
Losing Kronwall, Vanek, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Dekeyser certainly made this team worse. I don't think there's a coach in this world that could've brought this Red Wings roster to the playoffs. And I don't think they kept him around cause of his win/loss record, they kept him because he develops young talent pretty well. Even if you improve the coach and improve marginally, you finish in 8-12th worst in the league, that's a worse place to be than where Detroit has been during the rebuild. Blash definitely proved he can maximize the output of his teams in the USHL and AHL, and he was did well with an under talented Western Michigan team in the NCAA. And he's made the playoffs and had a good showing in the NHL when he had a decent roster.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

If there was a dislike button I'd hit it for this post.

People forget that Ned Harkness was once thought of as the next great NHL coach because he was a good college coach. Sometimes being good at lower levels doesn't translate to higher levels. With Blashill we have enough evidence that this is the case. Our roster is bad enough to be a bottom 3 team in the league, but historically bad is a lack of preparation by the coach. Too many times the wings didn't even show up to play.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If there was a dislike button I'd hit it for this post.

People forget that Ned Harkness was once thought of as the next great NHL coach because he was a good college coach. Sometimes being good at lower levels doesn't translate to higher levels. With Blashill we have enough evidence that this is the case. Our roster is bad enough to be a bottom 3 team in the league, but historically bad is a lack of preparation by the coach. Too many times the wings didn't even show up to play.

Unfortunately I kind of agree.

I was a believer in Blash for a while but this year was a very bad coaching performance, regardless of the roster we iced. I’ve never seen a team visibly not try as much as the Wings did this year.

Blashill preached a lot of good things in every press conference but reality is that the players didn’t listen.

Also doesn’t help when your right hand man is Disco Dan Bylsma...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rasmussen will be a better player than Veleno.

Is this a hot take considering one was a top 10 pick and one was nearly a second round pick? I guess it could be by the amount of souring that happened on Rasmussen.

I think right now they both project to be kind of that same type/role of player. Play up and down the middle six, at all 3 forward positions. Probably make their biggest impact on special teams (Ras on PP, Veleno on PK). Both will likely be known as character and effort players more than they will be known for having a boatload of skill.

I like them as support players with more upside than our recent support players (like Helm, Abby, Nielsen, etc.) and feel that the production will follow with the right scoring depth around them.

Reactions: Gniwder

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sometime next season, one of Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, or Seider will get a burnt lip from eating pizza that was too hot!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I had full confidence in Holland to see through the rest of this rebuild. Arguably, more faith than I have in Yzerman making good use of Larkin/Bert/Mantha.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Have you seen Twitter and Instagram? "Trust the Yzerplan" yadda yadda circlejerk.

Because he spent the better part of a decade being very successful in Tampa.

Seriously, Yzerman is a very skilled GM and it should be expected that he is going to do the work to bring Detroit back.

There is a huge difference between people trusting in his work kinda blindly when a move happens they don't get because he's got a track record of doing a good job than "giving him credit he doesn't deserve." Yzerman is still one of the best GMs in hockey. This is being pissy for the sake of being pissy about it. Yzerman gets a honeymoon period because we knew exactly how bad the roster was when he got here, we know how bad Tampa was when he started there (having just gotten Stamkos and Hedman in the top 3 of the drafts) and we know how good they are now.

Also, Twitter and Instagram, man? 95% of people on instagram are either influencers or are robots. And twitter is a cesspool of the highest variety. The fans talking about sports on Twitter are the kind who will say they are the biggest Red Wing fan ever, but say the name Stacy Roest, and they'll ask if she's hot.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
In my darkest timeline I feel like this current era ain't ever winning shit. I hot take to myself, "This Larkin-led era will never get past the 1st round of the playoffs..."

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad