Your DRW ‘hot takes’

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
Not really to grab attention, but an opinion or gut instinct that likely wouldn’t be popular.

I think Yzerman is going to over pay to trade back up into the 1st to grab a falling Lundell, or someone else who makes a big slide.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As much as we all hope Yzerman will hold veterans accountable for their play, I fully expect to see Abdelkader dragging his ass around the bottom two lines for the next 3 seasons, almost certainly while wearing an A on his sweater.

(calling this out because I so want to be proven wrong)

Reactions: Oddbob

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Any post related to whether or not the Red Wings tanked, haha.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Very controversial, but my opinion. Yzerman is getting too much credit this year for just 1 good trade (Fabbri) and is not our "saviour" as a lot of people are claiming he is.

Our scouting, a good coach and some better trades are going to get Detroit back to its glory, not just Yzerman himself.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Very controversial, but my opinion. Yzerman is getting too much credit this year for just 1 good trade (Fabbri) and is not our "saviour" as a lot of people are claiming he is.

Our scouting, a good coach and some better trades are going to get Detroit back to its glory, not just Yzerman himself.

This isn't that controversial to me. I completely agree and I feel like Yzerman is the type of person who would be the first to say this and mean it. I feel like fans in general can't really process how it takes a team/village and so they need the image of a branded figurehead to make their judgments.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
In 5 years time we'll be grateful we picked Rossi/Drysdale/Perfetti over Quinton Byfield who turns into an adequate 40-50 point center with the Kings, but nowhere near as good as Stutzle or whoever the wings draft at 4OA.

Almost as immediately as Blashill leaves as coach we start to perform at the level of a .500 team with the current roster. (I'm of the opinion that he's a shit developmental coach and even worse systems coach. With how well defensemen skate in the NHL now why the hell are we playing a dump and chase 'system'?)

Nielsen will be bought out after this year and retire from hockey. Abdelkader will start out the season in the NHL but finish in the AHL and hopefully remain there until he retires. At a point the Wings will give him a good-old-boy post with a BS title like player development executive deputy to the executive deputy director or something like that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think we see a new CBA relatively soon and that it will provide at least one compliance buy-out.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Even if he played wing, there is no exec in the league that would trade you Larkin for Mantha straight up. A big part of being really good is being consistently good. Mantha is, however, the most talented player in the organization.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Even if he played wing, there is no exec in the league that would trade you Larkin for Mantha straight up. A big part of being really good is being consistently good. Mantha is, however, the most talented player in the organization.
If Larkin played the wing? I would take Mantha 100/100.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mantha is the best player on the team.

This is my favorite one as well.

Almost as immediately as Blashill leaves as coach we start to perform at the level of a .500 team with the current roster. (I'm of the opinion that he's a shit developmental coach and even worse systems coach. With how well defensemen skate in the NHL now why the hell are we playing a dump and chase 'system'?)

And this one is my least favorite. I think that 99% of Blashill's problems are circumstantial based, and do not reflect him as a coach. He has had a roster over the past two years with what I consider to be 2 first line players (Larkin and Mantha), a bunch of washed up, and depth players, and a scattered few developing pieces. The system "he uses" is the result of a defensive core that can't move or make a pass tape to tape without pressure, let alone adding in forechecking. He has also been credited by the two best players as being one of the major influences on their development, so I think calling him a poor developmental coach is a substantial stretch.

Reactions: odin1981

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Mantha is the best player on the team.

I feel like a solid case is out there for those willing to take care of the details. I'm vaguely remembering an article on The Athletic that outlined how the offense lived and died with Anthony Mantha.

I don't really agree with the take but it's not like thems fighting words to me. Generally speaking, debating the best player on the Wings is as futile as finding out who the tallest kid in kindergarten is.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No hot take here, purely factual.

Hardly Larkin is the best player, But when he's healthy and on his game Mantha can be deadly.

source.gif

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Bunch of losers in here. Bertuzzi is clearly our best player.

Also, Yzerman is a mediocre GM

Reactions: Ricelund

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Blashill isn't a bad coach. He's won at every level and will eventually win in the NHL. People forget that the Wings did pretty good under him at the beginning before the roster became the unquestionable worst roster in the league.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad