Your Desired Result for ROR ?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just saw on their site that Iginla is represented by Newport. Would be nice if he could be in O'Reilly's ear about potentially staying.

I'd bet he would be more than willing to stay. Just have to pay him $7M/yr and guarantee him a top two center role on a team that has Duchene and MacKinnon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd bet he would be more than willing to stay. Just have to pay him $7M/yr and guarantee him a top two center role on a team that has Duchene and MacKinnon.

If it was up to me, I'd make MacKinnon a permanent winger. Just looks so much more comfortable there, and O'Reilly gives us that offensive/defensive 1/2 centre punch with Duchene. But I wouldn't be comfortable paying him $7M/yr

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He was supposed to be our next guy after Drury for the third line center position and now he's going to leave the Avs almost the same way. So we need a third line center who is good but not so good that he wants too much money. :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He was supposed to be our next guy after Drury for the third line center position and now he's going to leave the Avs almost the same way. So we need a third line center who is good but not so good that he wants too much money. :laugh:

So you're saying we get to have Derek Morris..... :cry:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't think O'Reilly would sign with Avs this summer because he would be worried Avs would trade him during the season before any NTC kicks in.

Correct.

O'Reilly is not going to sign another contract with Colorado.

I still maintain that the return for O'R is going to be modest. Decent, but not great.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If it was up to me, I'd make MacKinnon a permanent winger. Just looks so much more comfortable there, and O'Reilly gives us that offensive/defensive 1/2 centre punch with Duchene. But I wouldn't be comfortable paying him $7M/yr

I have no problem paying him $7m as long as the cap is going up enough. And I have no problem sticking MacK or even Duchene on his wing. Many will scoff at the thought of Dutchy on the wing, but think about it. Center is the defensively responsible spot. Who would you rather be playing D, ROR or Duchene? Who is worlds better on the backcheck? And if MacK develops into the #1C at both ends, Duchene makes a perfect winger to take advantage of his speed. Of course, ROR is also better on the forecheck as well, so there is that. Duchene does have the speed to forecheck hard and still get back in time to play D....but he doesn't. And the little things that make a player a standout defensive forward are not part of his game. I see MacK developing that skill set much more readily than Dutchy.

Duchene is tons faster, and is a better playmaker and has a better shot. To me, that makes him a better winger. ROR is a better checker, defender, reads plays better....that makes him a better option as #2C. Same story with MacK, but I think he has the potential to develop into a true #1C at both ends. I think it is too late for Duchene to round out like that. He makes a fine #1C on offense, but not so much on D. ROR has the defensive skills of a top #1C, and not the offense....but more O than a #3C, so he gets paid more than a team can afford for that spot.

The last time we had a true #3C, that fit the bill defensively without being so good at scoring that he deserved more than a #3C should get paid was Yelle. We need one of those to slot in above Mitchell, along with other stuff....

And I know I am going to catch hell for this...I just want people to genuinely, honestly think about before blasting me.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I have no problem paying him $7m as long as the cap is going up enough. And I have no problem sticking MacK or even Duchene on his wing. Many will scoff at the thought of Dutchy on the wing, but think about it. Center is the defensively responsible spot. Who would you rather be playing D, ROR or Duchene? Who is worlds better on the backcheck? And if MacK develops into the #1C at both ends, Duchene makes a perfect winger to take advantage of his speed. Of course, ROR is also better on the forecheck as well, so there is that. Duchene does have the speed to forecheck hard and still get back in time to play D....but he doesn't. And the little things that make a player a standout defensive forward are not part of his game. I see MacK developing that skill set much more readily than Dutchy.

Duchene is tons faster, and is a better playmaker and has a better shot. To me, that makes him a better winger. ROR is a better checker, defender, reads plays better....that makes him a better option as #2C. Same story with MacK, but I think he has the potential to develop into a true #1C at both ends. I think it is too late for Duchene to round out like that. He makes a fine #1C on offense, but not so much on D. ROR has the defensive skills of a top #1C, and not the offense....but more O than a #3C, so he gets paid more than a team can afford for that spot.

The last time we had a true #3C, that fit the bill defensively without being so good at scoring that he deserved more than a #3C should get paid was Yelle. We need one of those to slot in above Mitchell, along with other stuff....

And I know I am going to catch hell for this...I just want people to genuinely, honestly think about before blasting me.

I'm not going to blast you but requesting Duchene to be a winger is absurd. That experiment has happened and it did not work. And for the record, Duchene has been struggling for the last 20 games but for a good portion of last season he played like a top 10 C and the first 20 games of this season he looked amazing as well. At least Mackinnon looked great on Stastny wing so I can see why people wouldn't be opposed to that suggestion and even I'm open to it if it gets him going. But I do prefer to see him as a C in the long-term. He's a big boy and is dedicated to becoming a better player and a winner.

With regards to O'Reilly, $7m is way too much for him. Sorry, but he's worth.. On a good deal $5.25m and is overpaid at anything over $6m.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think O'Reilly would sign with Avs this summer because he would be worried Avs would trade him during the season before any NTC kicks in.

I doubt he'd be too worried about that, because there's almost no chance the Avs do that. It's highly doubtful any team would re-sign a pending UFA a year early and then trade him before the new deal starts, let alone a team run by someone like Joe Sakic.

If O'Reilly signs this summer he's here to stay, and if there happened to be any shred of doubt, I'm sure Sakic and Roy would make that clear to him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I doubt he'd be too worried about that, because there's almost no chance the Avs do that. It's highly doubtful any team would re-sign a pending UFA a year early and then trade him before the new deal starts, let alone a team run by someone like Joe Sakic.

If O'Reilly signs this summer he's here to stay, and if there happened to be any shred of doubt, I'm sure Sakic and Roy would make that clear to him.

Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers say "Hi!"....twice.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I would only disagree with you in that I could see a scenario where they sign a deal that ROR is happy with (even if it is more than the Avs are happy with) while also making it clear they are doing so primarily to raise his value in the trade market.

I see that as a stretch for sure, so I agree, if the Avs re-sign ROR, it will mean that ROR will be staying an Av for at least a few years longer.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
whoever brought up the drury comparisons is right, this is such a similar situation. And both players are nearly identical. Lets hope instead of a drury - morris trade, we can get a deadmarsh - blake trade.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've come full circle. Put 8 years on the table. I'm happy with anything $7m or less. If a deal can't be ironed out with him under those pretty generous terms by July 1st of this year, then trade him for whatever you can get.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I've come full circle. Put 8 years on the table. I'm happy with anything $7m or less. If a deal can't be ironed out with him under those pretty generous terms by July 1st of this year, then trade him for whatever you can get.
It's a tricky situation, because if you wait past July 1st, your trade options once again get limited as teams start using up their cap space with signings and any trades from the draft week prior.

Even though they can't technically sign him to a contract, they can still talk to his agent and I'm sure they will (if he's still around). By the draft, I think they'd have an idea of what he wants. Even then, O'Reilly showed no inclination to sign a contract early last year so I don't see why he would this year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's a tricky situation, because if you wait past July 1st, your trade options once again get limited as teams start using up their cap space with signings and any trades from the draft week prior.

Even though they can't technically sign him to a contract, they can still talk to his agent and I'm sure they will (if he's still around). By the draft, I think they'd have an idea of what he wants. Even then, O'Reilly showed no inclination to sign a contract early last year so I don't see why he would this year.

You're right about the dates. I would hope they would start negotiating the day after the last Avs game. I know there has been no urgency to these negotiations in the past, but it's a little different this time around. I would make ROR fully aware of his standing with the team. I would have to assume, all other things equal, he'd prefer not to move, but I obviously can't be sure. All you can do is make him a very competitive offer and see where he stands. If he's truly as money hungry as everyone thinks, that extra guaranteed money the 8th year provides should be pretty enticing. But if you aren't close by draft day, you've gotta move on.

fittyrox

Dec 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
If the Sakic & Co can't work out a deal by draft day, you have to move him. We are really thin at LHD and I've seen reports that the Avs are linked with Buffalo with Myers coming back. My wife is a Sabres fan, and I've seen Myers play since he was a rookie. I'd rather have Zadorov (who is lefty, big, physical, and can move the puck on the breakout). I don't think it could be a one for one swap since Zadorov is really still a kid. But who knows, Tim Murray drives a hard bargain. Perfect world in my eyes would be O'Reilly for Zadorov and a 2nd or 3rd in this years draft. Use that pick to help bolster the prospect pool. Just a thought!

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Meh, this situation still sucks. I want him on the Avs.

I know man. He had a really bad early season. Just like everyone on the team.

But now all I want is ROR locked up here for 5 or 6 years for a reasonable price. I know we probably won't get that which makes me very sad.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers say "Hi!"....twice.

I think we can probably agree that Holmgren is different than pretty much every GM in that regard, and certainly different than Sakic. Someone with as much class and respect as Joe Sakic isn't going to screw a player over like that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think we can probably agree that Holmgren is different than pretty much every GM in that regard, and certainly different than Sakic. Someone with as much class and respect as Joe Sakic isn't going to screw a player over like that.

Hextall essentially did the same thing. It's not the GM in Philly who sets that precedent, it has been and always will be their free-spending impetuous owner.

I think we can rest easy knowing that Sakic probably won't do stuff like that not necessarily because he has class, but because ownership wouldn't tolerate such irresponsible use of their money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad