Your Desired Result for ROR ?

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I don't think that the Leafs and Avs are good trading partners. Don't understand why Leafs and Avs trade proposals are always coming up. The Avs don't want or need players like Bozak, Gardiner, Franson, or Phaneuf in exchange for ROR. We are looking for an overpayment (ideally a LD), and the only piece that's coming from TOR that the Avs want is Reilly.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I think Bozak would be a great add for this team. Not for ROR, but he would be a great add. Gives us a reliable defensive player that can take draws in the d-zone. And is adequate offensively.

Don't think TO would be looking to move him though.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I think Bozak would be a great add for this team. Not for ROR, but he would be a great add. Gives us a reliable defensive player that can take draws in the d-zone. And is adequate offensively.

Bozak isn't a bad player, but he really doesn't fill a need for the Avs. We need a quality player coming back for ROR, preferably a LD.

member 116861

We could find a cheaper option that also wouldn't cost ROR that could do the same thing.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Leafs fan here in peace,

Let me walk you through our annoyance a bit.

This has been a raw nerve since Burke pulled his "I'm trading up for Tavares and no one will stop me!" Shtick at the draft. In addition to the ego boost he gives his fanboys that blowhard is a particularly reviled figure around here.

So being told over and over that your team is going to hand over it's best assets out of sheer force of will of someone we don't like for years has left us annoyed about anything to do with TO trade proposals.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

Bozak IMHO is ROR light. In a less prominent role he would excel kind of like Versteeg, Bolland did for Chicago, as a top 6 he isn't so hot for extended periods but could slot up in case of injuries etc. Kind of a ROR-lite player. Great in shoot outs too. I dunno about the GM in Toronto but I would gladly part with him, send a shock to Kessel, wake him up a bit, we need to turn over some of our players that have been in Leaf Land too long, its a tainted locker room right now. Bozak should be up for grabs.

Last edited:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Let me walk you through our annoyance a bit.

This has been a raw nerve since Burke pulled his "I'm trading up for Tavares and no one will stop me!" Shtick at the draft. In addition to the ego boost he gives his fanboys that blowhard is a particularly reviled figure around here.

So being told over and over that your team is going to hand over it's best assets out of sheer force of will of someone we don't like for years has left us annoyed about anything to do with TO trade proposals.

I used to like Burke's style of hockey but the way he carried himself in the media was pretty god awful. I am surprised you guys sound as upset as we are with what he did to our team. He made a couple decent deals but on the whole he put together a polluted locker room and his regular, undone tie media rants seemed okay sometimes until nothing actually happened. He was basically the Leafs version of Rex Ryan, he had the smarts to do something good but he went about things the wrong way and was publicly arrogant while doing it. I don't know if you are comparing me to him here but I don't think I was that bullheaded with my remarks and I don't think I was undermining you guys either.

I guess I can apologize though, I would generally say about 2/3rds of the people on the leafs HF boards are insufferable, I regularly visit other forums to read what other teams fans are saying about players because half the time people are trashing all of our players including our best assets just because they are trolls or just generally very angry people. At any given time even during our 10 game win streak our board is flooding with hatefilled rants, whining and debates on if we could only keep one of these two players who would it be threads. That is actually how I got on your forums in the first place, also I have no ill will toward the Avs organization, used to love watching your team play back with Forsberg and crew.

umdieecke*

I'm not going to say it's impossible but if it's true there are 20 suitors for ROR, there's only a 5% chance something happens with Toronto. But that's before weighting being done in consideration of what various teams can offer. Contracts alone diminish the likelihood and, perhaps seperately or not, the players themselves.

There are several things that get old with Leads fans on the main board. One is how they can never reconcile why they want to trade players Z,Y,or Z after they've been trying to convince you how awesome they are. Another one is the strawman type responses. Here's an example: A Leafs fan proposes ROR for Pganeuf (again). An Avs fan says they're not interested in Phanuef because of a combination of factors specific to Phaneuf. The Leafs fan responds with some comment about how Avs fans overrate ROR even though the objection to Phaneuf isn't even considering ROR is going back. Same with Gardiner.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would have to be not the first, second would be fine. But I feel like you are undervaluing Franson here. Regardless apparently you aren't interested so tell me besides our first round picks, Rielly, Kessel, JVR, Kadri what do you guys want from us?

You guys are 3 points out of a playoff spot right now, Lupul could easily push you into contention if that is what your team is looking to do this season. Lupul+Franson/Gardiner+Percy/Holzer or a 2nd/3rd(conditional, if you make playoffs its a 3rd) shouldn't be something you scoff at so easily.

You guys are in for a hell of a time after next season with your whole core coming up for contract renewals, I think that is why ROR deal is such a hot topic this season.

This is the part that sold me on your lacking knowledge of the Avs, ROR, our needs, etc.

According to you, our whole core is coming up on contract renewals after next season.

Shall we have a look?

Duchene - Signed for 6 Years at 6M cap hit. Free Agent in 2020
Landeskog - Signed for 8(? RIP Capgeek :cry:) years at 5.7M, UFA in 2022(?)
Varlamov - Signed for 5+ years at 5.9M, UFA in 2019ish.
Mackinnon - RFA in 2016
Johnson - UFA in 2016

So, we have 3/5 of our core pieces locked up long term, at extremely good contracts. Varlamov is already being underpaid by ~1.5M, just look at Bobrovskys new deal as a prime example of that.

Duchene making $6M is roughly 2-2.5M underpaid. When you look at what Patty Kane and Toews, got, Duchene could get 8-8.5 if he were a UFA right now.

And Landeskog at 5.7M is also roughly 2-2.5M underpaid for those same reasons.

So 3/5 of our core pieces are not only signed long term, but signed for fantastic contracts. The 3 of them are giving us somewhere around 5.5-7M in extra cap space because of the team friendly contracts they've signed.

So no, this team is not by any means in cap hell going forward. We've got contract coming off the books in the next couple of years, along with the space we'll already have, to resign EJ, Mackinnon, Barrie, and even ROR if we can.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
This is the part that sold me on your lacking knowledge of the Avs, ROR, our needs, etc.

According to you, our whole core is coming up on contract renewals after next season.

Shall we have a look?

Duchene - Signed for 6 Years at 6M cap hit. Free Agent in 2020
Landeskog - Signed for 8(? RIP Capgeek :cry:) years at 5.7M, UFA in 2022(?)
Varlamov - Signed for 5+ years at 5.9M, UFA in 2019ish.
Mackinnon - RFA in 2016
Johnson - UFA in 2016

So, we have 3/5 of our core pieces locked up long term, at extremely good contracts. Varlamov is already being underpaid by ~1.5M, just look at Bobrovskys new deal as a prime example of that.

Duchene making $6M is roughly 2-2.5M underpaid. When you look at what Patty Kane and Toews, got, Duchene could get 8-8.5 if he were a UFA right now.

And Landeskog at 5.7M is also roughly 2-2.5M underpaid for those same reasons.

So 3/5 of our core pieces are not only signed long term, but signed for fantastic contracts. The 3 of them are giving us somewhere around 5.5-7M in extra cap space because of the team friendly contracts they've signed.

So no, this team is not by any means in cap hell going forward. We've got contract coming off the books in the next couple of years, along with the space we'll already have, to resign EJ, Mackinnon, Barrie, and even ROR if we can.

I didn't come here claiming I am all knowing, I came here knowing what little I have read about the Avs and the ROR speculation and I went to nhlnumbers.com (enjoy that btw its as good as we will get now with capgeek gone, RIP :cry:). I saw MacKinnon, ROR, McGinn, Johnson, Barrie all coming up the same year.

I am not going to argue about your cap situation, I respect some of your contracts maybe we just disagree about how tight things will get if nothing gets shuffled around by that time.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Leafs fan here in peace, you guys underrate Franson. He has one hell of a point shot(he never misses the net, it never gets blocked), great on the PP and he is very big and on our defense he is one of the few steady points that has character that he isn't afraid to show in interviews.

I think a Franson+Bozak deal straight up for ROR with a conditional pick if Franson walks wouldn't be a bad deal for both sides.

If you rather what would you think of a Phaneuf for ROR trade straight up? What would either team need to add?

Also Gardiner+ for ROR is something that could be possible but I don't know what it takes to make it work.

Gardiner has flashes of brilliance but it seems this season the old coach has him thinking too much or I don't know what the excuse/reason is but he just isn't playing consistent at all. One thing about him is he skates like the wind and has fantastic vision with the puck. Not sure what kind of Dman you guys are looking for though.

Still just pondering more trades, what about:

ROR+Briere for Franson, Lupul?

Wow. I didn't realize Franson was actually from Planet krypton. Never misses the net with his point shot and it's somehow impossible to block too? Some kind of quantum entanglement point shot that shifts dimensions mid flight I assume?

Well obviously we weren't aware of that or we would have made the trade already.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I used to like Burke's style of hockey but the way he carried himself in the media was pretty god awful. I am surprised you guys sound as upset as we are with what he did to our team.

Had he ever got you a center, maybe we would have been spared years of Bozak & 2nd.

It really doesn't matter Burke's actual results. The Branch Burkians react to every move as if it genius.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I'm guessing ROR goes for a package from a team that comes from nowhere, that we haven't even heard anything from so far.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I'm guessing ROR goes for a package from a team that comes from nowhere, that we haven't even heard anything from so far.

Panthers around Kulikov is what I'm afraid of, especially since the Kulikov talk has died down significantly

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Panthers around Kulikov is what I'm afraid of, especially since the Kulikov talk has died down significantly

I don't think Dale Tallon will make that kind of move. Not right now anyways. Maybe in the off-season.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Oh God...I don't even want to imagine that.

I probably would take that deal easily tbh.
Better than anything that MTL or Toronto would probably offer us.

Would prefer Myers (because of his upside) but it is a very decent haul that I could not say no to in the end.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well, I've made my feelings on Jack Johnson well-known. Dude sucks.

:D. I guess we won't agree on much then anyways.

Don't understand how you can hate on Johnson and love Gardiner. JJs biggest knack is hockey IQ imo.
And he has Gardiner beat in that department pretty solidly IMO.

I think JJ is decent. Nothing more and nothing less. His advanced numbers suck year after year but he is not as bad as they are suggesting that he is.

Think he would be a decent fit next to EJ.
Jenner is a nice add. Like him very much.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
You know, if it weren't for Toronto fans constantly trying to pawn them off for better pieces, I'd happily have any of Bozak, Gardiner or Franson on the Avs roster. I think they'd actually add to this team's talent level, just not necessarily at the subtraction of ROR.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
"My desired result for Ryan O'Reilly?" (to answer the question asked in the Subject line)

"IF he has to be traded (and it is looking like that is the end result)...anywhere but Toronto

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Just to resume exactly what I think about Bozak

Bozak would be a 3C in Colorado behind Duchene and MacKinnon. No need to pay $4.2m for that role.

What is the hate with Bozak? Seriously :help:

If he were on the Avs, he'd be leading the team in goals and points, and be our best face-off man. Not to mention Bozak is 2nd in the league in take-aways behind O'Money. Mackinnon has no business being put back to centre anytime soon with the struggles he had. Keep him at RW for the next 1-2 years like Tyler Seguin did.

Of course, we'd have to acquire him in a different trade, as O'Reilly is worth much more than anything Toronto would offer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad