Your Desired Result for ROR ?

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
Which outcome would you prefer the most for ROR? Getting a solid return for him, or having a 75% chance of him signing for 6 years with a 7 million dollar caphit?

Being that his value is down from last year, a solid return would probably be somewhere around Maata + Sutter for ROR + 2016 4th. A solid return doesn't necessarily have to be this package, and it can be whatever you perceive as fair value. I personally wouldn't mind this trade and would prefer getting a young D-man over the risk of losing him for nothing or locking him up for a huge dollar amount.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Well I'd love to have him locked down for a few years to $5.5-$6 million a year. Since that is not a realistic scenario trade him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't answer this question because I do not believe there is an established probability of signing him at any dollar amount. If we wants to see the market then he will see the market. And then on top of it there is a zero percent chance of them signing him at 7. So it really is a question with no answer.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I can't answer this question because I do not believe there is an established probability of signing him at any dollar amount. If we wants to see the market then he will see the market. And then on top of it there is a zero percent chance of them signing him at 7. So it really is a question with no answer.
I'm not asking what's realistic, I'm asking what would be the ideal outcome in your opinion.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's this 75% stuff? You can't gamble like that. The two outcomes should be a guarantee of him re-signing (so 100%) or a trade.

I'd love to have him signed long term but I see it as another Stastny situation. Some other team will likely value and pay him more than the Avs and he'll get a top two center role.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think a solution needs to come this summer after the first wave of FA. ROR will be able to sign an extension so if we can work one out we'll be able to do so. If he won't sign with us we have to trade him right then. Teams will be able to sign him to an extension upon arrival and they'll have a full season to hammer out the details if they're close but need to haggle a little. So we'll get as good of an offer as we can get with the risk of ror not signing with a team he's going to be traded to at it's lowest, and rosters being in flux.

I don't see us getting a deal offered at this deadline that we won't see matched in the summer, and I think the chance of keeping him is worth the risk of my being wrong on that. The best case scenario, given what is likely being offered, is ryan stays around for the long term, next year ROR-Duchene go back to being sedin like on the ice and we have an amazing big 4 anchoring our forward corps. for the next ever.

But I may well be under-estimating the offers that are currently coming in for him. ROR is a rare bird.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think a solution needs to come this summer after the first wave of FA. ROR will be able to sign an extension so if we can work one out we'll be able to do so. If he won't sign with us we have to trade him right then. Teams will be able to sign him to an extension upon arrival and they'll have a full season to hammer out the details if they're close but need to haggle a little. So we'll get as good of an offer as we can get with the risk of ror not signing with a team he's going to be traded to at it's lowest, and rosters being in flux.

I don't see us getting a deal offered at this deadline that we won't see matched in the summer, and I think the chance of keeping him is worth the risk of my being wrong on that. The best case scenario, given what is likely being offered, is ryan stays around for the long term, next year ROR-Duchene go back to being sedin like on the ice and we have an amazing big 4 anchoring our forward corps. for the next ever.

But I may well be under-estimating the offers that are currently coming in for him. ROR is a rare bird.

Way too late.
He has to (!!!!!) go (or re-sign) at the draft at the latest.

umdieecke*

If you're going to wait until the summer, you're better off keeping him and trading him at the trade deadline in 16. He'll be likely having a career year because he'll be playing for a contract. If he's having a big year and the Avs could contend, you could keep him or trade him to another contending team who's desperate for that missing piece that ROR seems to represent.

umdieecke*

Btw, these poll options are awful. "Solid"...what does that mean? That's a topic unto itself.

What is a "solid" return?...I better start a poll.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Long term signed at 7-8 years at 5.5M-ish. Fair value.

But it wont happen, so second best is him traded for a really good top 4 LD. Or, a 1st round pick and a LD prospect who is close to a "sure thing".

member 116861

I want to re-sign him him longterm at $6 million a year but I also wouldn't take that chance if I was GM. I would trade him really soon for hopefully a #2 defenseman but if that doesn't work than a package for a middle pairing defenseman and a 2nd/3rd line forward.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Long term signed at 7-8 years at 5.5M-ish. Fair value.

But it wont happen, so second best is him traded for a really good top 4 LD. Or, a 1st round pick and a LD prospect who is close to a "sure thing".

Nick Foligno just got this contract.

Come on now. 5.5M for ROR is not a fair contract under the new CBA.

The same as <6M was not a fair contract for Stastny.

If we apply those standards, we better be prepared to lose a lot of players for nothing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Strangely I voted for the re-signing.

Assuming it is in the 6m neighborhood I think it will make him more valuable in a trade if/when it ever has to be done.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you're going to wait until the summer, you're better off keeping him and trading him at the trade deadline in 16. He'll be likely having a career year because he'll be playing for a contract. If he's having a big year and the Avs could contend, you could keep him or trade him to another contending team who's desperate for that missing piece that ROR seems to represent.

I just don't think that's true. I think teams will be most interested in ROR next summer after he can official sign an extension but rosters still haven't been solidified completely yet. That's where I think we see a young dman who could legitamitely break into our top 4 within a year get dangled as the core of a ror deal, or if we sign a UFA to play with EJ someone gives up a really quality forward prospect/youngin.

I doubt the offers increase from there.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Nick Foligno just got this contract.

Come on now. 5.5M for ROR is not a fair contract under the new CBA.

The same as <6M was not a fair contract for Stastny.

If we apply those standards, we better be prepared to lose a lot of players for nothing.

Yeah maybe, I guess the UFA thing totally ruins any chance of getting him for a fair price now.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
We needed to trade his ass in the summer when his value was there. He is terrible this year so now we are stuck in my opinion. Have to wait until next year now and hope he plays well then trade him

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People massively over-state how much current-form influence GMs' minds on big long term moves like ROR will be. Him struggling isn't helping, but it's also not tanking his value by any stretch. Just like him being hot next season won't increase his value unless he's traded as a pure rental at next season's deadline, which will be less than what we should get for him in the summer if we have to move on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I want to re-sign him him longterm at $6 million a year but I also wouldn't take that chance if I was GM. I would trade him really soon for hopefully a #2 defenseman but if that doesn't work than a package for a middle pairing defenseman and a 2nd/3rd line forward.

I just don't think those trades are available for him right now with his contract situation.

umdieecke*

Trade his ass. Sooner rather than later...

This way if thinking needed to be shared by mgt last summer before they played this stupid game of chicken by taking it to arbitration. But once it went that far, this way of thinking was vorbei.

Last edited by a moderator:

umdieecke*

People massively over-state how much current-form influence GMs' minds on big long term moves like ROR will be. Him struggling isn't helping, but it's also not tanking his value by any stretch. Just like him being hot next season won't increase his value unless he's traded as a pure rental at next season's deadline, which will be less than what we should get for him in the summer if we have to move on.

Sorry but this is a weak rationale tailored around trading a very good players for pennies on the dollar. And the inference to be made from this comment is GMs don't care if a player is playing like dog *****. They only look at the remaining term of his current contract. Sorry but I'm not buying into this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad