Your Desired Result for ROR ?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers say "Hi!"....twice.

The difference with this situation is that Richards and Carter signed their contracts in 2007 and then were trade in June 2011 (Carter again at the deadline in March '12).

At least for them they were 3+ years into those contracts. O'Reilly will probably ask for the NTC at the start of his contract. As far as I am aware the new CBA has no new requirements for NTC's.

So it would basically be waiting for next season to finish. I highly doubt Sakic and company will sign O'Reilly (probably near the offseason) and within the next 12 months change their mind.

If O'Reilly signs a contract with a NTC and the Avs trade him before it kicks in, I will guarantee that he signed the contract fully knowing that would happen.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
We are surely to get fleeced in any trade with the current regime.

I agree with this. But not because Sakic/Roy don't understand O'Reilly's value.

To me, this was set in stone the moment Sakic agreed to that insipid two-year arbitration-avoiding deal that gave O'Reilly UFA status at age 25. O'Reilly is 100% in the driver's seat now, and he's going UFA, IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
To me, this was set in stone the moment Sakic agreed to that insipid two-year arbitration-avoiding deal that gave O'Reilly UFA status at age 25. O'Reilly is 100% in the driver's seat now, and he's going UFA, IMO.

Been saying the same thing. Out of all the possible outcomes last summer, that's one I really didn't expect. Should have traded him before it even got to that point. Avs made a bad situation even worse by putting O'Reilly in complete control and giving him a deal that takes him straight to free agency.

FoppaForsberg*

If we gave him 1 year, he'd just accept the qualifying offer anyways. No difference.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If we gave him 1 year, he'd just accept the qualifying offer anyways. No difference.
Depends.
He would've gotten 5.55 or something like that from the Arbitrator.

I think he would've preferred to listen to some offers of 2-3 years in that case, as 5.55 is really low (the QO that is) for what he probably will demand on the market (I'd think >7.5).
Let's say after one year, he would've signed a 3 year deal (6,8,8), which would've netted him probably at least as much money with added security of the 3 years. I think that was the reason he chose a 1-year deal in Arb.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The advantage of a one year contract is that he could sign an extension after January 1st, so Avs would know if there is a chance to re-sign him by now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The advantage of a one year contract is that he could sign an extension after January 1st, so Avs would know if there is a chance to re-sign him by now.

This... the advantage to a 1 year deal was the ability to try to re-sign him long-term or trade him to a place where he could negotiate his next deal while he was a RFA. That was the reason I didn't like the 2 year deal when it was announced, but what is done is done.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
As much as I want Ror to stay it will never happen. He wants the most money possible, has a father that is extremely opinionated whispering in his ear, has an agent that is a conniving tool, and is determined to have his way at all costs. Judging by his history it seems likely that he will pull a stastny and get max value on the open market.

Love to keep him but he will have to go.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hextall essentially did the same thing. It's not the GM in Philly who sets that precedent, it has been and always will be their free-spending impetuous owner.

I think we can rest easy knowing that Sakic probably won't do stuff like that not necessarily because he has class, but because ownership wouldn't tolerate such irresponsible use of their money.

Hartnell was traded two years after signing. Philly just operates differently than everyone else, because they don't really care, and they're also a big draw for players to play there.

I don't think money is what would prevent it either. Not since they'd be trading away the money. Sakic would never sign O'Reilly a year early with the idea of trading him before he hits UFA. That's just not how he's going to to treat his players or run his franchise.

It's not quite the same situation as Philly anyway. They lost in the playoffs and unlike the Avs right now Philly always has enormous pressure on them to do well. They felt they needed a culture change, so they made those moves under Holmgren. In Hartnell's case, a new GM came from outside the organization and traded him two years after he signed. because he felt the team had footspeed issues, and wanted more cap flexibility.

If Sakic signed O'Reilly, and then traded him, it would pretty clearly be his plan the whole time, unless some kind of crazy situation developed all of a sudden, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about ROR worried about re-signing a year early, because Sakic might trade him before a hypothetical NTC kicks in.

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It would have been interesting had they put a picture of Tyler Myers up on the site.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I do fear if the Avs trade for Myers ExTex will have a spontaneous involuntary screaming O that will shatter every bone in his body.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
ROR is going to get his money, hell or high water. It will happen.

I look at it this way - if the guy is inevitably going to be overpaid in his career at some point (sooner than later), do you really still want him here anyways? Philosophically he's not going to change.

I just hope we get something for him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I do fear if the Avs trade for Myers ExTex will have a spontaneous involuntary screaming O that will shatter every bone in his body.

Interestingly enough, I'm not as high on Myers as most around here. If he is the return, I'd rather have picks...but that's just me. I'd be okay with J. Johnson though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad