Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Canada has enough firepower that I don't think you need to load up MacKinnon and McDavid on the same line, I think you're better off letting each run wild with their own line so you can have at least one of them on the ice for ~40 minutes a game.

Barzal-McDavid-Point
Stamkos-MacKinnon-Scheiefle
Marchand-Crosby-Tavares
Couturier-ROR-Stone
Huberdeau-Seguin

Theodore-Makar
Pietrangelo-Rielly
Doughty-Hamilton
Spurgeon-Barrie

Hart
Hellebucyk
Price

Have a feeling they're gonna do everything they can to get Stamkos on the team considering his snub in 2010 and the injury in 2014, and if you're gonna bring him it really only makes sense to play him in the top six. Bergeron will be 37 and with two golds already, hands his duties off to Ryan O'Reilly. I like Tavares as an offensive match with Crosby and Marchand more, which gives you the luxury of having you three best defensive forwards all together on a killer shutdown fourth line.

Nah, Hockey Canada would defer and have more allegiance to players who were on the Vancouver/Sochi teams than a so-called snub. A roster spot would go to Towes or Doughty before Hockey Canada issues a make up for a perceived "snub"

Reactions: mattihp

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If I was picking the U.S. team right now:

Goaltenders:

Hellebucyk
Gibson
Bishop

Defense:

Carlson/Slavin
Jones/Werenski
McAvoy/Hughes
McDonagh/Suter

Forwards:

Conner/Eichel/Wheeler
M. Tkachuk/Matthews/Kane
Gaudreau/Larkin/Boeser
Kreider/Nelson/Tuch

I would rather carry Coyle as an xtra C then have Suter
as an 8th Dman.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I wouldn't. If it came down to a 13th forward there would be guys other than Coyle I would take (such as Oshie or Pacioretty).

You only have 4C on your team. You may not like
Coyle but one of Stastny, Trocheck, Hayes, Johnson
Schmaltz or Coyle needs to be the extra F. If even one
center goes down you have an issue, two you're
screwed. I would much rather insert any of those
centers onto the team than switch Wheeler to C
due to injury.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Huberdeau McDavid MacKinnon
Ratboy Crosby Bergeron
O'Rielly Point Stamkos
Tavares Schiefele Stone
Marner

Chabot Pietrangelo
Theodore Makar
Rielly Doughty
Morrisey Hamilton

Price
Hart
Kuemper

For the coach I think I'd move on from Babcock and go with Cooper or Trotz but not sure what Hockey Canada will do.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Canada has enough firepower that I don't think you need to load up MacKinnon and McDavid on the same line, I think you're better off letting each run wild with their own line so you can have at least one of them on the ice for ~40 minutes a game.

Barzal-McDavid-Point
Stamkos-MacKinnon-Scheiefle
Marchand-Crosby-Tavares
Couturier-ROR-Stone
Huberdeau-Seguin

Theodore-Makar
Pietrangelo-Rielly
Doughty-Hamilton
Spurgeon-Barrie

Hart
Hellebucyk
Price

Have a feeling they're gonna do everything they can to get Stamkos on the team considering his snub in 2010 and the injury in 2014, and if you're gonna bring him it really only makes sense to play him in the top six. Bergeron will be 37 and with two golds already, hands his duties off to Ryan O'Reilly. I like Tavares as an offensive match with Crosby and Marchand more, which gives you the luxury of having you three best defensive forwards all together on a killer shutdown fourth line.

Gotta have room for the Zaumner/Morrow/Kunitz spot

Nah, Hockey Canada would defer and have more allegiance to players who were on the Vancouver/Sochi teams than a so-called snub. A roster spot would go to Towes or Doughty before Hockey Canada issues a make up for a perceived "snub"

Exactly. TC loves their veteran guys especially the ones who have played previously.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Considering that we're projecting for 2-years out, I'm also factoring how some of these players will either start reaching their prime--or declining heavily--by then. Here's my Team USA:

Forwards (14):
Kyle Connor - Auston Matthews - Patrick Kane
Johnny Gaudreau - Jack Eichel - Matthew Tkachuk
Brady Tkachuk - Jack Hughes - Brock Boeser
J.T. Miller - Dylan Larkin - Anders Lee
Jake Guentzel
Extra: Alex DeBrincat

Defense (8):
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Quinn Hughes - John Carlson
Jaccob Slavin - Charlie McAvoy
Torey Krug
Extra: Jacob Trouba/Jacob Chychrun (depending on health)

Goalies (3):
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Notable:
I don't just want to compete--I want to win. Instead of falling into the trap that many Team USA teams have in the past--I'm not bringing the "feel good, loyal soldiers" and I'm going with a young, fast, highly-skilled club. Players like Wheeler and Suter will be 36 and 37 when this tournament starts--I want the fresh legs. In 2-years, players like Carlson, Jones, Kane, Miller and Lee will provide all the veteran leadership I need--while still playing high-end hockey. Same philosophy in goal as Bishop will be 35 and unreliable in a big tournament. Demko will be an emerging star in the league by then and will take his spot. I'm going all-in with speed and skill--and I'm willing to finish 4th for the chance to finish 1st--so I'm not letting the old heads tag along just for warm and fuzzies. Sorry Max Pax.

I'm also banking on the Hughes brothers continuing to get better and better. In two more years, Quinn Hughes could be the most potent weapon on the entire defense and Jack should be a borderline-elite gamebreaker and PP assassin. Brothers Tkachuk will also be the two premier power forwards in hockey by then.

I'm giving the kids and keys and telling them to "go get it." When Team USA defeated Canada in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, they did it with young kids playing with hunger and an underdog spirit--that's what I want. We'll never get 1980 Miracle on Ice magic, but I want my kids bringing home the cheese--I believe in them.

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Considering that we're projecting for 2-years out, I'm also factoring how some of these players will either start reaching their prime--or declining heavily--by then. Here's my Team USA:

Forwards (14):
Jake Guentzel

Defense (8):
Torey Krug

Goalies (3):
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Notable:
I don't just want to compete--I want to win. Instead of falling into the trap that many Team USA teams have in the past--I'm not bringing the "feel good, loyal soldiers" and I'm going with a young, fast, highly-skilled club. Players like Wheeler and Suter will be 36 and 37 when this tournament starts--I want the fresh legs. In 2-years, players like Carlson, Jones, Kane, Miller and Lee will provide all the veteran leadership I need--while still playing high-end hockey. Same philosophy in goal as Bishop will be 35 and unreliable in a big tournament. Demko will be an emerging star in the league by then and will take his spot. I'm going all-in with speed and skill--and I'm willing to finish 4th for the chance to finish 1st--so I'm not letting the old heads tag along just for warm and fuzzies. Sorry Max Pax.

I'm also banking on the Hughes brothers continuing to get better and better. In two more years, Quinn Hughes could be the most potent weapon on the entire defense and Jack should be a borderline-elite gamebreaker and PP assassin. Brothers Tkachuk will also be the two premier power forwards in hockey by then.

I'm giving the kids and keys and telling them to "go get it." When Team USA defeated Canada in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, they did it with young kids playing with hunger and an underdog spirit--that's what I want. We'll never get 1980 Miracle on Ice magic, but I want my kids bringing home the cheese--I believe in them.
That defense is miles ahead of Canada. USA also beat Canada in 1996 with better defense.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Forwards (14):
Jake Guentzel

Defense (8):
Torey Krug

Goalies (3):
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Notable:

This is how I'd like to see the US built as well... Hughes and Tkachuk's leading the way. No notable weaknesses.. young and fast.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is how I'd like to see the US built as well... Hughes and Tkachuk's leading the way. No notable weaknesses.. young and fast.
Gotta ride or die with the kids--don't need tag along's like Pacioretty, Wheeler, JVR, Pavelski, Suter, etc. taking up spots in a high-octane tournament like that. Plus I like USA going in with the "young underdog" mentality.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

Forwards (14):
Jake Guentzel

Defense (8):
Torey Krug

Goalies (3):
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Thatcher Demko

Notable:

Chychrun is Canadian when it comes to international games

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hard to predict who's going who is going to trend upwards or trend downwards, but here's how I would guess the team like right now in 2022.

Trotz as Head Coach with a lot of emphasis on 2 way play

Huberdeau-Mcdavid-Mackinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
O’Reilly-Point-Marner
Couturier-Scheifele-Stone
Barzal

Chabot-Pietangelo
Rielly-Ekblad
Theodore-Hamilton/Doughty (Smart choice is Hamilton, Hockey Canada probably favours Doughty)
Makar

Price-Hart-Binnington

Swap around any of the bottom 6, I think that's the roster though.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hard to predict who's going who is going to trend upwards or trend downwards, but here's how I would guess the team like right now in 2022.

Trotz as Head Coach with a lot of emphasis on 2 way play

Huberdeau-Mcdavid-Mackinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
O’Reilly-Point-Marner
Couturier-Scheifele-Stone
Barzal

Chabot-Pietangelo
Rielly-Ekblad
Theodore-Hamilton/Doughty (Smart choice is Hamilton, Hockey Canada probably favours Doughty)
Makar

Price-Hart-Binnington

Swap around any of the bottom 6, I think that's the roster though.
"Emphasis on two-way play". Get Toews and Dubois in the line-up, Toews is the reason McDavid is out of the playoffs. He is on the team for sure, and re-watch Dubois 2020 playoffs.

Huberdeau and Marner out. We need as many complete players as possible so we can play any system to counter any team. Everything matters even things like size/length.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
"Emphasis on two-way play". Get Toews and Dubois in the line-up, Toews is the reason McDavid is out of the playoffs. He is on the team for sure, and re-watch Dubois 2020 playoffs.

Huberdeau and Marner out. We need as many complete players as possible so we can play any system to counter any team. Everything matters even things like size/length.

I must agree. Playmaking wingers rarely make a big impact for Canada at the top level. I'd want to see an extremely high level of play from a Huberdeau or Marner before making sure they're on the team. The lines tend to be built around the centres and good two way players are usually better complements.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

I can get behind Toews on the team (Maybe as an extra), not as much Dubois (and yes, I watched every game he played this postseason)
I don't think Huberdeau or Marner (who is a two-way player) are the guys that you take out though if you want to insert Toews in.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I mean McDavid had 9 points in 4 games. I think the Oilers lack of depth and D play in particular along with shitty goaltending are more to blame. Our D’s inability to execute a basic breakout was pathetic.

Don’t see how Toews makes the 2022 Olympic team or any best-on-best Team Canada at this point. Our forward depth is utterly ridiculous. Maybe as a 13th forward for Toews and that would be a big maybe.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I mean McDavid had 9 points in 4 games. I think the Oilers lack of depth and D play in particular along with shitty goaltending are more to blame. Our D’s inability to execute a basic breakout was pathetic.

Don’t see how Toews makes the 2022 Olympic team or any best-on-best Team Canada at this point. Our forward depth is utterly ridiculous. Maybe as a 13th forward for Toews and that would be a big maybe.
Toews can still play very good defense, and is one of the best faceoff players in the league.

You can't have a team full of the same type of player (flashy offensive players).

When you are up by a goal and a faceoff is in your own end, it is guys like Toews you throw out there. Same for penalty kills.

If 9-10 elite offensive players can't get the job done, then who is to say 3-4 more offensive players will make any difference?

It is better to take 3-4 forwards who are there to play roles. Penalty killing roles. Faceoff roles.

Reactions: Elvs

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvia has to qualify first, yet this would be my take.

Balcers - Abols - Indrasis
Daugavins - Blueger - Ro.Bukarts
Darzins - Girgensons - Egle
Ri.Bukarts - Bicevskis - Kenins

Zile - Rubins
Balinskis - Freibergs
Sotnieks - Jaks

Merzlikins
Kalnins

Yes, in two years I would expect that the merit-based NT days of Darzins, Karsums, M.Redlihs are more or less behind us. Normally, though, OG serves as a 'retirement party' for the older Latvian players.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Team Canada

Scheifele - McDavid - Point
O'Reilly - MacKinnon - Barzal
Tavares/Huberdeau - Crosby - Marner
Dubois - Couturier - Stone
Lafreniere - Toewes/Cirelli - Konecny

Chabot - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Makar
Chychrun - Doughty
Morrissey - Ellis

Hart
Binnington
Murray

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I think USA and Sweden have better defense than Canada.

Something that was hard to imagine a few years ago truly.

MacKinnon and McDavid wins it for them. Karlsson and Ekman Larsson is toast. Have to rely on Ol' Hedman, Klinger and Brody. Then there is Crosby and Marner for red-white. And the Point dude. Spells "points". Other teams don't exactly limedance to those facts. Team Canada's defense abilities never change that much since there are constantly 20 dudes to pick at defense from.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Cooper was already a shoo-in for coach IMO but this years win solidifies it. Trotz a dark horse candidate (I think hell be on the staff either way)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Team Russia - as I would want to see it:

Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov
Ovi - Kuznetsov(hopefully) - Svechnikov
Dadonov - Namestnikov - Tarasenko
Nichushkin - Anisimov - Gurianov
Gusev, Kaprizov

Provorov - Zadorov
Gavrikov - Sergachev
Orlov - Zaitsev