Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Bobrovsky, Khudobin, Samsonov, Varlamov, Sorokin
All 5 would be a legit starter for the Czechs. Just crazy how good the goaltending is. No Georgiev either.

The D is 1 or 2 shy of the other Big 5.
The wingers can compete with anyone but the C are not as deep as the other Big 5.

There are like 5 goalies that could win a tourney for Russia and more coming.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
All 5 would be a legit starter for the Czechs. Just crazy how good the goaltending is. No Georgiev either.

The D is 1 or 2 shy of the other Big 5.
The wingers can compete with anyone but the C are not as deep as the other Big 5.

There are like 5 goalies that could win a tourney for Russia and more coming.
I personally think offensively Russia is better than any country not named Canada.

Defense is a bit underrated as we already have 2 #1 defenders in Provorov and Sergachev, Orlov was a top 2 defender for the Caps this year, Zaitsev and Gavrikov are both solid shutdown defensemen and I hope Voynov is still decent.

PS, I just noticed this was the projected 2022 roster thread, what I posted was the best lineup as of now

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If you are looking through a purely NHL lens the Russian roster lags behind Canada and the U.S. It competes overall with Sweden and Finland although the Swedes have a markedly superior defense. That's not to say Russia is incapable of winning a best on best (they would be a favorite) but from an "on paper" perspective doesn't stand out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I personally think offensively Russia is better than any country not named Canada.

Defense is a bit underrated as we already have 2 #1 defenders in Provorov and Sergachev, Orlov was a top 2 defender for the Caps this year, Zaitsev and Gavrikov are both solid shutdown defensemen and I hope Voynov is still decent.

PS, I just noticed this was the projected 2022 roster thread, what I posted was the best lineup as of now
I'm not sure I'd say Sergachev is the number 1 in Tampa. Hedman might get a vote or 2.

Provorov led in points and minutes for Philly so he's a legit 1 but I'm not sure he'd crack Team Canada, US or Sweden's roster?

The rest of the guys are far from Number 1's. I'm not saying this as a shot at Russian D but Sweden, US and Canada would have between 4 and 6 legit number 1's on their roster... circling back to Hedman, Russia has nothing like him.

Here is this years Norris voting:

upload_2020-10-14_20-11-51.png

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I'm not sure I'd say Sergachev is the number 1 in Tampa. Hedman might get a vote or 2.

Provorov led in points and minutes for Philly so he's a legit 1 but I'm not sure he'd crack Team Canada, US or Sweden's roster?

The rest of the guys are far from Number 1's. I'm not saying this as a shot at Russian D but Sweden, US and Canada would have between 4 and 6 legit number 1's on their roster... circling back to Hedman, Russia has nothing like him.

Here is this years Norris voting:

View attachment 372813
Serg is not a #1 D in Tampa but he’d be in many other teams

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
If you are looking through a purely NHL lens the Russian roster lags behind Canada and the U.S. It competes overall with Sweden and Finland although the Swedes have a markedly superior defense. That's not to say Russia is incapable of winning a best on best (they would be a favorite) but from an "on paper" perspective doesn't stand out.
The US is overrated. I rate them on level with the European teams.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
looking at all the proposed rosters, one thing is clear, if we do get a best on best tourney, it's a 4 team tournament between Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland.

Drop Finland from that list and add Russia instead. 2026 might be the year Finland has a shot at gold, 2022 is way too early.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Francouz
Rittich
Mrazek

Kempny - Hronek
Simek - Gudas
Hajek - Rutta

Voracek - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vrana - Hertl - Kubalik
Palat - Necas - O.Kase
Zadina - Chytil - Zacha
Czechs like to sit NHL players in favor of liga guys. So cut 4 of these guys to make room for zohornas, gulas and jaskin. Then expect gulas to get first pp unit and pastrnak to be on second unit. Also, cut an NHL goalie for bartosak. Same with D... We can't have all NHL so save a spot for moravcik.

It is the Czech way!

Reactions: smitty10

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would add some options
G-Vladar
D-Zboril
F-Jenik, Jaskin, Kaut, Faksa
I was thinking Dostal. Definitely needs more Kaut and faksa. Zboril is a good bet as he might finally get NHL time this season as he has a 1 way contract and is waiver eligible.

In all cases... We are in some trouble.

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I was thinking Dostal. Definitely needs more Kaut and faksa. Zboril is a good bet as he might finally get NHL time this season as he has a 1 way contract and is waiver eligible.

In all cases... We are in some trouble.
I agree, Dostál is definitely also an option, it can even be number one in those 2 years. He looks great so far.
Faksa is definitely better than Zacha, Kaut also has great potential.

Reactions: Czechboy

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Wet dream team Finland

Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen
Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Kaapo Kakko
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Anton Lundell - Jesse Puljujärvi
Mikael Granlund - Roope Hintz - Kasperi Kapanen
Erik Haula
Joel Armia

Esa Lindell - Miro Heiskanen
Mikko Lehtonen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Juuso Välimäki - Sami Vatanen
Olli Määttä - Jani Hakanpää

Tuukka Rask
Joonas Korpisalo
Antti Raanta

Mostly 90's and later-borns only. From the old guard only plausible guys seem Rask and Koivu but both their contracts end after the season and theres been rumblings about retirements so that's thing to watch. Other notables outside my lineup include Koskinen, Jokiharju, Nutivaara, Heinola, Lehkonen, Ruotsalainen, Hartikainen, Nättinen, Donskoi and Kiviranta

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
73730_flag_256x256.png

Cehlarik - Hrivik - Panik
Tatar - Ruzicka - Lantosi
Jurco - M.Pospisil - Hudacek
K.Pospisil - Krivosik - Studenic

Chara - Sekera
Fehervary - Cernak

Marincin - Jaros

Halak
Rybar

I think Nemec or Slafkovsky might get a shot at the roster as 18 year olds. I know it's rare for 18 year olds to make a Olympic roster, but we really lack depth, which is why I would rather see an inexperienced talent over a an average player on 4th line or 3rd defensive pairing.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think Nemec or Slafkovsky might get a shot at the roster as 18 year olds. I know it's rare for 18 year olds to make a Olympic roster, but we really lack depth, which is why I would rather see an inexperienced talent over a an average player on 4th line or 3rd defensive pairing.

The Olympics is roughly a year away. When the roster will be announced Nemec and Slafkovsky will still only be 17. I don't think there's any chance for them to make the team. Their time will come in 2026, 2030, 2034 and 2038. They have plenty of time.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Laine-Barkov-Rantanen
Kakko-Aho-Teräväinen
Granlund-Kotkaniemi-Hintz
Donskoi-Haula-Armia
Kapanen or (Pulju if he makes an impact on the upcoming season)

Heiskanen-Lindell
Ristolainen-Määttä
Välimäki-Vatanen
Jokiharju

Rask

loewe80

Oct 30, 2012
Grubauer
Niederberger
Hane

Seider - Gawanke
Holzer - Szuber