Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Weird seeing so few Swedish lineups with Silfverberg on it. If you are making a shutdown line, he is your guy. I doubt either Ducks players Silfverberg or Rakell have any business to be in Sweden's top 6 (unless there are a bunch of injuries) so if I had to have one of those players in bottom 6, it would be Silfverberg easily.
Sweden have so many extremely good guys who are somewhat interchangeable.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Karlsson is better than Wennberg for sure, but I tried to match up the lines the way I thought they best fit.

I would like to spread the defensive skills of Zib and Landy, if they would be on the same line the third cog should be a free-wheeling Nylander with Pettersson leading his own line.

Lots of luxury problems with the swedish forwards.
If you bring Karlsson up to the second line he more than makes up defensively for the loss of Landy there, though, and Landy brings more grit to the top line. Then make up for the loss of Karlsson on the 4th line with Eriksson Ek(who should make the team over Wennberg anyway if he keeps it up from this past season, also gives you a PK1 pairing of Eriksson-Ek - Karlsson which would be deadly) and you end up with a more balanced forward group.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
If you bring Karlsson up to the second line he more than makes up defensively for the loss of Landy there, though, and Landy brings more grit to the top line. Then make up for the loss of Karlsson on the 4th line with Eriksson Ek(who should make the team over Wennberg anyway if he keeps it up from this past season, also gives you a PK1 pairing of Eriksson-Ek - Karlsson which would be deadly) and you end up with a more balanced forward group.
I don't think we use the word balance in the same way and I do think national team performance should count too. Wennberg made quite an impression last time around. We will need to agree to disagree.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I'm not watching if there is no Team North America.

This is the type of people the nhl caters to. American citizens who don't have a cultured view of the world and just don't understand international sport or sport in general. Americans who live in a world where they think they own citizens from other countries.

What a strange country. People like this don't understand the essence of sport forget just the game of Ice Hockey. As we know this poster doesn't really understand too much of the game apart from the american values based league like the nhl so there's no point in expanding.

The fact he thinks two countries should merge makes me wonder if he works under their current president lol.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is the type of people the nhl caters to. American citizens who don't have a cultured view of the world and just don't understand international sport or sport in general. Americans who live in a world where they think they own citizens from other countries.

What a strange country. People like this don't understand the essence of sport forget just the game of Ice Hockey. As we know this poster doesn't really understand too much of the game apart from the american values based league like the nhl so there's no point in expanding.

The fact he thinks two countries should merge makes me wonder if he works under their current president lol.

That's what you got out of that post?

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London

How dare you call it "ice-hockey.." Ohhhh the audacity :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah having Pettersson, Zib and Landeskog on the same line leaves one of Bäckström, Forsberg and Arvidsson concentrating on defense... Those two lines need mixing up.

Pettersson - Zibanejad - Nylander
Landeskog - Bäckström - Olofsson
Forsberg - Wennberg - Rakell
Arvidsson - W.Karlsson - Lindholm

Pretty balanced!

Don't expect guys younger than 25 to be on the team..

wennberg? you cant be serious.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
wennberg? you cant be serious.
Yep. National team play actually gives merit on the national team. Nowhere is that as evident as on the swedish national team where M.Nylander was ignored in his prime and Jörgen Jönsson was one of the first guys penciled in for the 2002 olympics.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yep. National team play actually gives merit on the national team. Nowhere is that as evident as on the swedish national team where M.Nylander was ignored in his prime and Jörgen Jönsson was one of the first guys penciled in for the 2002 olympics.

wc is not olympics.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
wc is not olympics.
Coaches still give merit on play on the national team. Check previous rosters for olympics. There is not a single time a lesser player hasn't been chosen over a better player on the roster because of his play in the national team. This is especially true for Sweden and to almost the same extent Finland. It is also not like Wennberg is a scrub....

Reactions: garbageteam

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Coaches still give merit on play on the national team. Check previous rosters for olympics. There is not a single time a lesser player hasn't been chosen over a better player on the roster because of his play in the national team. This is especially true for Sweden and to almost the same extent Finland. It is also not like Wennberg is a scrub....

wennberg is miles worse than zibanejad, w.karlsson, bäckström, pettersson, backlund when it comes to center.

wingers, nylander, olofsson, forsberg, arvidsson, landeskog, hörnqvist, rakell, lindholm and silfverberg are way better.

you dont get kick out any of the above players who are better just becuse wennberg was good in b-tournament called wc.

with your logic, Sakari Manninen should be on team finland instead of Mikael Granlund.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
wennberg is miles worse than zibanejad, w.karlsson, bäckström, pettersson, backlund when it comes to center.

wingers, nylander, olofsson, forsberg, arvidsson, landeskog, hörnqvist, rakell, lindholm and silfverberg are way better.

you dont get kick out any of the above players who are better just becuse wennberg was good in b-tournament called wc.

with your logic, Sakari Manninen should be on team finland instead of Mikael Granlund.

Backlund isn't miles ahead of Wennberg. I have Zib, Karlsson, Bäckström and Pettersson on the team. I have Nylander, Olofsson, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Landeskog, Rakell and Lindholm on the team too. Hörnqvist won't be a better player in 2 years. The only argument that can be held is for Backlund and Silfverberg (a winger). Playing Wennberg at wing would be just weird.

We will need to agree to disagree, put out your team instead of just coming with the same point which will constantly get the same response, neither of us wins anything out of this non-constructive discussion.

Manninen is a center who should play in the middle, Granlund is a winger who can take some shifts in the middle and both have good NT resumes, so I don't understand how that is even an argument. The only reason I see for you to be so persistant is that Wennberg has done something to you or to your family. I am sorry about that, but you'd better seek his apology from him directly.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014

LOL I'm not American, try again

Just don't like international hockey or national teams or that sort of nationalism etc. I'd rather players from my favourite team didn't take part, but if they did, that Team North America from the last World Cup was pretty damn sexy. Now THAT was exciting hockey. Purely from the game of Ice Hockey point of view. Politics aside.

Reactions: wetcoast

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Wennberg is a really solid 4th liner/extra forward. He has his ups and downs. But for Olympic rosters you get to bring 25 guys, in which case there's nothing wrong with bringing a guy in just because he can play some solid defense and just be a big, strong body up front.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
LOL I'm not American, try again

Just don't like international hockey or national teams or that sort of nationalism etc. I'd rather players from my favourite team didn't take part, but if they did, that Team North America from the last World Cup was pretty damn sexy. Now THAT was exciting hockey. Purely from the game of Ice Hockey point of view. Politics aside.
Purely from an Ice Hockey perspective international hockey is the best hockey. The rosters of each of the top 6 countries would be above the salary cap. Of course without a lot of practice time together the quality may lag behind a bit that way, but as far as quality of talent on the ice international hockey is unmatched.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Connor-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
Guentzel-Eichel-Kane
Gaudreau-Larkin-Boeser
B.Tkachuk-Coyle/Hughes-JT Miller/Zucker

Hughes-McAvoy
Werenski-S.Jones
Slavic-J.Carlson

Hellebyuck
Gibson

Coyle if they want a more rugged 4th line. J.Hughes deserves a spot but I don’t like having all 3 of him, Gaudreau & Kane in your Top 9. Too soft or a team IMO. The Swedes & Canadians will have their way with them. I think Wheeler and Pacioretty are beat out by younger options by 2022.

Glad to see you give Coyle some recognition.
I can understand people listing Miller as a center
but I think Coyle at C and Miller at LW has the potential
to be a great 4th line.

Like your D group also. Personally another D man I like would be Dumoulin. If you could carry 8 D would
be a good compliment for Fowler, Fox, Pionk, Krug, or DeAngelo.

Reactions: BamZoni and MNRube

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
André Burakowsky have turned into a monster. He should be on the swedish team.

Forsberg - Zibanejad - Arvidsson
Landeskog - Pettersson - Nylander
Olofsson - Bäckström - Burakowsky
Rakell - W.Karlsson - Lindholm
Silfverberg, Backlund

No room for Wennberg.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a Ducks fan, Silfverberg has been better than Rakell every season except one. He's one of the best wingers defensively in the entire NHL and clutch in the playoffs.

Whoever we put on the 4th line isn't going to out-skill anyone in this tournament. I'd go with the strong defensive duo in Silfverberg and Backlund. I may be an old dinosaur, but I've seen Cogliano/Kesler/Silfverberg shut down McDavid and I've seen Moen/Pahlsson/Niedermayer shut down the pizza line.

Landeskog - Pettersson - Olofsson
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Nylander
Karlsson - Backlund - Silfverberg
Rakell

Hedman - Klingberg
Ekholm - Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson - Andersson
Lindholm

Lehner
Markstrom
Ullmark

Though by 2022, Dahlin will probably have made his way onto the team.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As a Ducks fan, Silfverberg has been better than Rakell every season except one. He's one of the best wingers defensively in the entire NHL and clutch in the playoffs.

Whoever we put on the 4th line isn't going to out-skill anyone in this tournament. I'd go with the strong defensive duo in Silfverberg and Backlund. I may be an old dinosaur, but I've seen Cogliano/Kesler/Silfverberg shut down McDavid and I've seen Moen/Pahlsson/Niedermayer shut down the pizza line.

Landeskog - Pettersson - Olofsson
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Nylander
Karlsson - Backlund - Silfverberg
Rakell

Hedman - Klingberg
Ekholm - Karlsson
Ekman-Larsson - Andersson
Lindholm

Lehner
Markstrom
Ullmark

Though by 2022, Dahlin will probably have made his way onto the team.
It always blows my mind. Whatever the next 7 D are (Dahlin, Klef, Larsson etc) that got cut, they would all be starters for the Czechs.lol

Reactions: Goodman68

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It always blows my mind. Whatever the next 7 D are (Dahlin, Klef, Larsson etc) that got cut, they would all be starters for the Czechs.lol

I think Dahlin will be there, at the very least as the #7 D. Klefbom will be in the mix with Ekholm and Lindholm, and Larsson will be in the mix with Andersson among RHD.

Frankly, if Erik Karlsson continues to struggle with his foot, I'm not sure I want him on the team by 2022. But I'm sure he will be a lock because of his name and resume.

As for the Czech's, I like Hronek's offensive upside and power play potential. Kempny and Gudas are underrated imo and Hajek could be a decent defensive player by 2022.

Obviously, they don't have the names Sweden, Canada or USA has on the backend, but what's more important defensively is playing well as a committee. If the Czech's can do that, they have enough offensive weapons to be a threat.

I'd more more concerned with the goaltending. Rittich and Mrazek are backup material in the NHL, and Francouz is still unproven in big games. As a Ducks fan I have high hopes for Lukas Dostal, but he's more likely to be Olympic starter material by 2026 rather than 2022.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Dahlin will be there, at the very least as the #7 D. Klefbom will be in the mix with Ekholm and Lindholm, and Larsson will be in the mix with Andersson among RHD.

Frankly, if Erik Karlsson continues to struggle with his foot, I'm not sure I want him on the team by 2022. But I'm sure he will be a lock because of his name and resume.

As for the Czech's, I like Hronek's offensive upside and power play potential. Kempny and Gudas are underrated imo and Hajek could be a decent defensive player by 2022.

Obviously, they don't have the names Sweden, Canada or USA has on the backend, but what's more important defensively is playing well as a committee. If the Czech's can do that, they have enough offensive weapons to be a threat.

I'd more more concerned with the goaltending. Rittich and Mrazek are backup material in the NHL, and Francouz is still unproven in big games. As a Ducks fan I have high hopes for Lukas Dostal, but he's more likely to be Olympic starter material by 2026 rather than 2022.
I love Hronek, Kempny and Gudas. I think Hronek is of 'Swedish quality'. I can't see the other 2 being even considered as a Top Swedish D personally.

Our goaltending is actually not terrifying right now... there were 5 Czechs in Round 1 of the playoffs a week ago... Rittich, Francouz, Mrazek, Vanecek and Vladar. I'm positive that has never happened before. There are still 2 going now which is the same as Canada for your crazy stat of the day.lol

Dostal and Skarek are very highly rated but, like you said, years away.

We also have Vladar, Vanecek and Korenar all getting real close to being full time backups. Then toss in drafted guys like Parik and Patera and we do have a lot of guys chomping at the bit in the NHL.

Will any of them become a solid NHL starter? Not sure but it's better than it has been for a very long time. For awhile we only had Pavelec and Neuvirth going. Mrazek was supposed to be a cemented starter by now... and he is on a team with great D... not sure how he hasn't run with that ball. Francouz has a golden opportunity as well but not sure he'll seize it either.

I do see your point though... not one guy I mentioned is gong to scare the big 5 today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad