Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
73730_flag_256x256.png

Cehlarik - Hrivik - Panik
Tatar - Ruzicka - Lantosi
Jurco - M.Pospisil - Hudacek
K.Pospisil - Krivosik - Studenic

Chara - Sekera
Fehervary - Cernak

Marincin - Jaros

Halak
Rybar
Offense:
First line: Cehlarik is one of the few playmakers on this team, and I feel it's important he sticks to his left side where his blade faces towards the middle. Panik is another left handed shot but he's obviously used to playing right wing. He'd be positioned for one timers here with Cehlarik trying to find him. The center position is obviously a glaring weakness for Slovakia. I didn't want to throw any of the kids up centering the first line as it's too much pressure. Hrivik is a veteran, and has the size and defensive makeup to best handle the opposing top centers. Offensively, his role on this line would be to crash the net.

Second line: Ruzicka hopefully continues to progress in the AHL in the next year and a half. He's a playmaker and a big body, and here he's slotted between two speedy and smaller wingers. I felt it was important to get a right handed shot in the top six, so Lantosi finds his spot here over Jurco.

Third line: Martin Pospisil, just like Ruzicka, hopefully continues to develop in the AHL. He'll play the role of the agitator and space creator on this line. Jurco finds himself in a depth scoring role, and I think he'll have more success here than in the top six. Hudacek, who I wasn't sure would make my team with 2026 in mind, is saved by the fact that he's a right handed shot. While he brings speed and can also score goals, his main job on this line would be playmaking.

Fourth line: I don't know much about Kristian Pospisil or Filip Krivosik, other than the fact that they are two young forwards who are trending upwards. I think uy 2022, they will be better than Kristof and Dano, and more fit for international competition (size/strength/speed) if they aren't already. Marian Studenic had a good WC last year, and is a versatile winger with speed and penalty killing prowess.

---

Defense:

First pairing: Because of NHL'ers being cleared for the Olympics, I think Chara will still play in 2022. While him and Sekera will make a really old pairing, I think they are still Slovakia's best option for a shut down pairing in 2022. Out of the left handed shots, I also think Sekera can handle playing on the right side the best.

Second pairing: Cernak should be Slovakia's best defenseman in 2022. He should probably be top pairing, but I didn't wanna put Fehervary in that position. Just like top pairing, the second pairing consists of one physical guy and one not so physical guy.

Third pairing: Again, one physical defenseman gets paired with one who's not physical. Jaros is arguably the best puck mover Slovakia has from the back end, and is a right handed shot. He absolutely needs to be in the top 6 in my opinion.

---

Goaltending:

Halak is self-explanatory. He'll be old in 2022, but it's unlikely that Slovakia will have a better goaltender by then. Rybar makes my team because he's probably the second best goaltender Slovakia has at the moment, despite a weak WC showing last year. His numbers in Liiga are great, and he'll still be in contention to make the team in 2026.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
While him and Sekera will make a really old pairing, I think they are still Slovakia's best option for a shut down pairing in 2022. Out of the left handed shots, I also think Sekera can handle playing on the right side the best.

I think, Sekera should be in 3th line. He is not anymore that guy, as he was few years ago. There are even some players in Europe, that could take his place. And we have some months in front of us.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think, Sekera should be in 3th line. He is not anymore that guy, as he was few years ago. There are even some players in Europe, that could take his place. And we have some months in front of us.

He's still Slovakia's third best defenseman at the moment. He ranked 4th among Dallas defenseman in icetime last season, and 2nd second in +/- desipte scoring just a few points. His production has gone down, sure, and while some of it stems from aging/declining, much of it is also because he doesn't play the PP anymore.

But because I didn't watch Dallas much last season, I asked their fans on HFboards about him only a few days ago. They seemed to agree that "he's still a good player" and that he "won't have any problems finding a new job in the NHL".

Sekera will be 35 when the Olympics rolls around. If he can stay healthy (which is a big question mark) he should make the roster quite easily. We'll see how good he is then, and what his role should be. The same goes for Chara, obviously, if he still plays then.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canada 2022
Huberdeau - McDavid - Mackinnon (beat any first line matchup)
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron (beat any first/second line matchup)
Stone - ORielly - Scheiflie (elite two-way line, with offense)
Stamkos - Couturier - Marner (Skilled and dangerous offensively, couturier holds down the line defensively)
Tavares
Chabot - Peitrangelo
Theodore - Parayko
Morrissey - Makar
Doughty
Price
Hart

Trying to guess who might improve, and who might regress is pretty tough. Such a solid forward core. Hard to leave off Point, Seguin, Barzal, etc. and Rielly/Weber/Hamilton on defense.

Put Giroux in for Stamkos as he has chemistry with Couturier and he is an elite face off guy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Who are these imaginary Dmen that could take the place for a 36 year old Sekera.

It is not that Sekera is that good but the Slovaks really lack top end depth...at any position right now.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Who are these imaginary Dmen that could take the place for a 36 year old Sekera.

It is not that Sekera is that good but the Slovaks really lack top end depth...at any position right now.

Sekera in 2022 will no longer be in the NHL. A few months ago he said that this or the next season is his last in the NHL and then goes to Europe, maybe the Swiss NLA. And at the last world championships, in 2019, he was not one of the best defensemans. I also think that in 2 years he will be in 3th defense pair. And i also don't know if Chara will be in the Slovak team. I don't know how long he will play in the NHL, but on the ice with European size he was lost in 2014 Sochi. I think that in 2022 he will not be able to catch up at all on a large ice. I think that younger guys in Europe should get a chance, which. will be the future of the Slovak team for the next decade.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Sekera in 2022 will no longer be in the NHL. A few months ago he said that this or the next season is his last in the NHL and then goes to Europe, maybe the Swiss NLA. And at the last world championships, in 2019, he was not one of the best defensemans. I also think that in 2 years he will be in 3th defense pair. And i also don't know if Chara will be in the Slovak team. I don't know how long he will play in the NHL, but on the ice with European size he was lost in 2014 Sochi. I think that in 2022 he will not be able to catch up at all on a large ice. I think that younger guys in Europe should get a chance, which. will be the future of the Slovak team for the next decade.

If will be Chara still playing, he will be there. Even in a limited role. As a captain and mentor. Im still not sure, if Sekera will be there.

Reactions: hellwar9

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Well I guess if they go with the younger guys they will get experience but the Slovaks have some lean times ahead.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Is it just me or does the proposed Slovak rosters have more slavic names than usual? It has always seemed to be that the minority with hungarian names have been more prevalent in hockey than expected.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Based on this series with Chicago,

by then Kirby Dach will have fully cemented himself for a forward spot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Call me crazy but Canada is toast if they go with a D group of

Rielly / Burns
Makar / Pietrangelo
Doughty / Hamilton

That would get picked apart faster than the Maple Leafs defense. They only need a couple star offensive producers, the rest of them just need to be well balanced and great defensively.

Pietrangelo - Parayko
Muzzin - Makar
Chabot - Ellis

Blues fans can tell me how they've done together, but I did notice a lot of games this year where Pietrangelo was on the leftside with Parayko. A lot can change in a year, of course. If Doughty is back to being the best D-man on his team I'd consider him for his experience. Hamilton, Rielly, and Burns haven't been good enough defensively. Makar and Chabot aren't great at it at this point either but I'm banking on them rounding out in time, and that and Makar is plain and simple the best offensive producer they could have gone with.

Reactions: WillyNy and Dingo

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
TT - Aho - Rantanen
Laine - Barkov - Kakko
Kapanen - Hintz - Donskoi
Haula - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Lehkonen, Granlund, Saarela

Ristolainen - Heiskanen
Vatanen - Lindell
Määttä - Jokiharju
Nutivaara - Niku

Rask
Saros
Raanta

I dont care what teams Russia and USA have. We usually beat them in Best of best tourneys. I`m scared of Canada and Sweden though. This team will medal for sure. We usually do.

Reactions: Stoat

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
TT - Aho - Rantanen
Laine - Barkov - Kakko
Kapanen - Hintz - Donskoi
Haula - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Lehkonen, Granlund, Saarela

Ristolainen - Heiskanen
Vatanen - Lindell
Määttä - Jokiharju
Nutivaara - Niku

Rask
Saros
Raanta

I dont care what teams Russia and USA have. We usually beat them in Best of best tourneys. I`m scared of Canada and Sweden though. This team will medal for sure. We usually do.
Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Donskoi and Armia ahead of Granlund? They need to prove something, Mikke would add leadership none of those add and this far has been money on the national team.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Donskoi and Armia ahead of Granlund? They need to prove something, Mikke would add leadership none of those add and this far has been money on the national team.

It`s 2022. 2 years away... Kotkaniemi and Kakko have progressed this offseason and Armia is a beast defensively. Donskoi is actually also better than Granny of today. He is also very good offensively if given a chance. Granlund has regressed and I believe he will be worse in 2yrs. And no - we dont nee Granlunds leadership. We have Aho, Barkov and Lindell for that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Giroux won't make this next Olympics IMO. It's possible Stamkos won't either.

I do not think that Stamkos is even really in the discussion but Giroux should and could be due to his faceoff prowess and chemistry with Couturier.

He is also 2 years younger than Bergeron so I doubt age will be a factor but who knows.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Zibanejad-Petterson-Landeskog
Forsberg-Bäckström- Arvidsson
Olofsson- Lindholm- Nylander
Eriksson Ek-Backlund-Fast

Hedman- Dahlin
Karlsson-Ekholm
R Andersson-Klingberg

OEL

Markström
Lehner

Pretty good on a good day.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
It`s 2022. 2 years away... Kotkaniemi and Kakko have progressed this offseason and Armia is a beast defensively. Donskoi is actually also better than Granny of today. He is also very good offensively if given a chance. Granlund has regressed and I believe he will be worse in 2yrs. And no - we dont nee Granlunds leadership. We have Aho, Barkov and Lindell for that.
I also question the absence of Granlund. He and Vatanen is the only ones left from the "old guard" and would provide experience and leadership. Granlund is still a better player then Donskoi, Armia, Kotkaniemi etc. He has had a rough year in Nashville but he will turn around. He can also play centre if needed.

I actually am starting to doubt on Barkovs leadership abilities. He seems very quiet and almost has a nervous feel around him. He did not stand out in any way against the Islanders just now, and i have seen some Panthers fans criticize him for not leading the team.

Lindell is a leader? I don't watch him so much so i wouldn't know but i see that he has never worn a A or a C. You can of course be a leader and not wear a letter but it just strikes me as a bit weird that he haven't had one.

My money would be on either Granlund, Aho, Rantanen or Vatanen to wear the C.

Last edited:

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Zibanejad-Petterson-Landeskog
Forsberg-Bäckström- Arvidsson
Olofsson- Lindholm- Nylander
Eriksson Ek-Backlund-Fast

Hedman- Dahlin
Karlsson-Ekholm
R Andersson-Klingberg

OEL

Markström
Lehner

Pretty good on a good day.

You want Zibanejad playing center. As good of a 2-way player as you can get.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You want Zibanejad playing center. As good of a 2-way player as you can get.
Yeah having Pettersson, Zib and Landeskog on the same line leaves one of Bäckström, Forsberg and Arvidsson concentrating on defense... Those two lines need mixing up.

Pettersson - Zibanejad - Nylander
Landeskog - Bäckström - Olofsson
Forsberg - Wennberg - Rakell
Arvidsson - W.Karlsson - Lindholm

Pretty balanced!

Don't expect guys younger than 25 to be on the team..

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah having Pettersson, Zib and Landeskog on the same line leaves one of Bäckström, Forsberg and Arvidsson concentrating on defense... Those two lines need mixing up.

Pettersson - Zibanejad - Nylander
Landeskog - Bäckström - Olofsson
Forsberg - Wennberg - Rakell
Arvidsson - W.Karlsson - Lindholm

Pretty balanced!

Don't expect guys younger than 25 to be on the team..
Karlsson > Wennberg and it's not even close.

He has been a better player at 5v5 than Bäckström the past 3 seasons, but Bäckström is better on the PP.

Landeskog - Zibanejad - Pettersson
Forsberg - W.Karlsson - Nylander

Sounds better for the top-6.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Karlsson > Wennberg and it's not even close.

He has been a better player at 5v5 than Bäckström the past 3 seasons, but Bäckström is better on the PP.

Landeskog - Zibanejad - Pettersson
Forsberg - W.Karlsson - Nylander

Sounds better for the top-6.
Karlsson is better than Wennberg for sure, but I tried to match up the lines the way I thought they best fit.

I would like to spread the defensive skills of Zib and Landy, if they would be on the same line the third cog should be a free-wheeling Nylander with Pettersson leading his own line.

Lots of luxury problems with the swedish forwards.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Weird seeing so few Swedish lineups with Silfverberg on it. If you are making a shutdown line, he is your guy. I doubt either Ducks players Silfverberg or Rakell have any business to be in Sweden's top 6 (unless there are a bunch of injuries) so if I had to have one of those players in bottom 6, it would be Silfverberg easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad