Olympics: Your Country's 2022 Roster? (Assuming NHL participation)

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
LOL. What does it matter? Neither of us will be making the choices.
It clearly matters a lot to you because you've posted about it 4 times.
It's also irritating because you're so so wrong on Marner, tavares and stammer.
Marner especially could easily be a 100 pt player by that point.

Reactions: tricky

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Cehlarik - Hrivik - Panik
Tatar - Hudacek - Lantosi
K.Pospisil - Kristof - Cajkovic
M. Pospisil - Ruzicka - Slafkovsky

Chara - Sekera
Cernak - Fehervary
Marincin - Cajkovsky
Jaros - Ivan

Tomek
Halak

Reactions: jaro

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Teräväinen - Aho - Rantanen
Laine - Barkov - Kakko
Hintz - Haula - Donskoi
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Kapanen
Armia

Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Lindell - Määtä
Vatanen - Nutivaara
Jokiharju
Laine - Barkov - Rantanen (A)
TT - Aho - Kakko
MiG (C) - Hintz - Kapanen
Lehkonen - Haula - Armia

Donskoi could slot in for Kakko but I think he'll be good for top 6 role by then. Not sure if I'd want Kotka here or rather some vet to be extra.

Heiskanen - Risto
Lindell - Vatanen (A)
Määttä - Jokiharju
Nutivaara

Rask
Korpisalo
Saros
You guys really think Lambert won't fit in those lineups? Hard to imagine he's not at least a 3rd liner for those.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
You guys really think Lambert won't fit in those lineups? Hard to imagine he's not at least a 3rd liner for those.

I doubt any draftee between 2020-2022 makes the team. Lambert would really have to become a very reliable and productive player in FEL to even be in the conversation for the Olympic team. And even then I think it's nearly impossible. There are so many more dependable options with more experience than him.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I doubt any draftee between 2020-2022 makes the team. Lambert would really have to become a very reliable and productive player in FEL to even be in the conversation for the Olympic team. And even then I think it's nearly impossible. There are so many more dependable options with more experience than him.
Well obviously there are a ton of players with more experience than him, but there won't be literally any Finns with better hands or skating than him if he develops at all.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Team USA

FWD Lines:
Jake Guentzel - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
-Jake always able to find the soft ice and has a knack for putting it in the cage. Eichel and Kane love to slow the game down and have excellent tempo control. Jake needs a C similar to Sid, a dynamic one, and he gets that with Eichel.

Johnny Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
-Johnny loves to have the charred biscuit on his blade, driving the attack from the wing. Matthews is strapped and at the ready to pump rubber on net. Tkachuk provides the sandpaper and is the modern-day Sean Avery with way more skill and goal-scoring ability. This line could be the best line the Americans produced by the end of the tournament.

Kyle Connor - Dylan Larkin - Alex DeBrincat
-DeBrincat had a rough year in the goal-scoring department this year, but he's a guy that has scored 28 and 41 in a season. Connor and Larkin have fresh tread on the tires and can burn. All three can fly. This may be the Americans' triplets line. High-end skill and speed, a deadly combination for International hockey...or, hockey in general.

Chris Kreider/Max Pacioretty - J.T. Miller - Brady Tkachuk

This line would be chipping pucks in and using speed and heavy forechecking to establish offense in the offensive zone. Once they set up behind the net with the cycle game, you may not get the puck back until it's in the back of your own net. A lot of grit and determination on this line.

Extra Forwards: Brock Boeser, Jack Hughes

D-Pairs

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
-Already a pair in Columbus. Both provide the Americans with excellent two-way play and puck-moving ability. These two will help establish the "Get it and go" mentality the Americans will want to play with.

Jaccob Slavin - John Carlson
-Slavin is easily one of the more underrated D in the game. The guy is excellent with his stick, has high hockey IQ, and he's able to move the puck effectively. He is the perfect partner to complement Carlson's dynamic offensive capabilities.

Quinn Hughes - Adam Fox
-This pair could be a wildcard pair, with both having impressive rookie seasons. They both have high hockey IQ, hockey sense, offensive skills, etc, you name it. Hughes is a burner back there, while Fox relies on being sly to get around. Both are too dynamic to ride pine.

Extra D: Charlie McAvoy, Ryan McDonagh

Goaltending
Connor Hellebuyck
-The elite netminder for WPG wrestles with John Gibson for the #1 job, and honestly, you can give it to either guy.

John Gibson
-He's been fantastic in his career, while even though having struggled this year behind a rebuilding Ducks team, he's easily elite enough, and the Americans' second-best option, for when they head to wherever for this tournament.

Head Coach:
Mike Sullivan
-Has done a remarkable job with Pittsburgh since he got there and would be a solid fit for a team looking to play with speed and skill. Has back-to-back Cups to his name.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I'll happily be wrong about Lambert, Räty or any young player but to me they'd likely need Laine/Kakko like dominating season(s) to be considered in the line-up.

Laine and Aho made the World Cup team because A) they were just that good even at their young age and deserved to be there but also B) cause that Finnish squad lacked the talent level this 2022 wont.

Also forgot Lundell, I would expect him to push for a spot in 2 years especially since he's supposed to be a good two-way forward.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
For Sweden something like this sounds good, not including any dmen because that's real tough to judge 2 years out:

Landeskog - Zibanejad - Pettersson
Forsberg - Karlsson - Nylander
Bratt - Bäckström - Arvidsson
Eriksson-Ek - E.Lindholm - Silfverberg

Lehner
Markström
Ullmark

PP1: Pettersson, Zibanejad, E.Lindholm, Landeskog
PP2: Forsberg, Bäckström, Nylander

SH1: Karlsson - Eriksson-Ek
SH2: Zibanejad - E.Lindholm

Potential changes would be Bratt, Arvidsson, & Silverberg. I guess Bäckis too but I don't see him falling off a cliff at 34.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It clearly matters a lot to you because you've posted about it 4 times.
It's also irritating because you're so so wrong on Marner, tavares and stammer.
Marner especially could easily be a 100 pt player by that point.
Someone had to say it...He's been looking for a fight for months on this topic. I'm pretty sick of it.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Team USA

FWD Lines:
Jake Guentzel - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
-Jake always able to find the soft ice and has a knack for putting it in the cage. Eichel and Kane love to slow the game down and have excellent tempo control. Jake needs a C similar to Sid, a dynamic one, and he gets that with Eichel.

Johnny Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
-Johnny loves to have the charred biscuit on his blade, driving the attack from the wing. Matthews is strapped and at the ready to pump rubber on net. Tkachuk provides the sandpaper and is the modern-day Sean Avery with way more skill and goal-scoring ability. This line could be the best line the Americans produced by the end of the tournament.

Kyle Connor - Dylan Larkin - Alex DeBrincat
-DeBrincat had a rough year in the goal-scoring department this year, but he's a guy that has scored 28 and 41 in a season. Connor and Larkin have fresh tread on the tires and can burn. All three can fly. This may be the Americans' triplets line. High-end skill and speed, a deadly combination for International hockey...or, hockey in general.

Chris Kreider/Max Pacioretty - J.T. Miller - Brady Tkachuk

This line would be chipping pucks in and using speed and heavy forechecking to establish offense in the offensive zone. Once they set up behind the net with the cycle game, you may not get the puck back until it's in the back of your own net. A lot of grit and determination on this line.

Extra Forwards: Brock Boeser, Jack Hughes

D-Pairs

-Already a pair in Columbus. Both provide the Americans with excellent two-way play and puck-moving ability. These two will help establish the "Get it and go" mentality the Americans will want to play with.

-Slavin is easily one of the more underrated D in the game. The guy is excellent with his stick, has high hockey IQ, and he's able to move the puck effectively. He is the perfect partner to complement Carlson's dynamic offensive capabilities.

Quinn Hughes - Adam Fox
-This pair could be a wildcard pair, with both having impressive rookie seasons. They both have high hockey IQ, hockey sense, offensive skills, etc, you name it. Hughes is a burner back there, while Fox relies on being sly to get around. Both are too dynamic to ride pine.

Extra D: Charlie McAvoy, Ryan McDonagh

Goaltending
Connor Hellebuyck
-The elite netminder for WPG wrestles with John Gibson for the #1 job, and honestly, you can give it to either guy.

John Gibson
-He's been fantastic in his career, while even though having struggled this year behind a rebuilding Ducks team, he's easily elite enough, and the Americans' second-best option, for when they head to wherever for this tournament.

Head Coach:
Mike Sullivan
-Has done a remarkable job with Pittsburgh since he got there and would be a solid fit for a team looking to play with speed and skill. Has back-to-back Cups to his name.
Great team you lay out here. My only bone to pick is that they will not likely roll out a pairing of Hughes and Fox.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Point-Marner
Huberdeau-Tavares-Stone

Chabot-Pietrangelo
Rielly-Doughty
Morrissey-Makar

Binnington
Price

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think if Carlson makes the team, it should only be as a PP guy. McAvoy as the extra and Carlson as an ES regular doesn't make much sense. Carlson should be the extra, and McAvoy the ES regular.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think if Carlson makes the team, it should only be as a PP guy. McAvoy as the extra and Carlson as an ES regular doesn't make much sense. Carlson should be the extra, and McAvoy the ES regular.

You're not going to have a guy like Carlson who is the likely Norris trophy winner this year as an "extra."

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're not going to have like Carlson who is the likely Norris trophy winner this year as an "extra."

What happened to Josi? Carlson is at least worse than McAvoy and Jones, arguably will be worse than Fox, as well, by 2022. And there are a number of LHD that can play the right side. We don’t have a generational player for him to pass one timers to for the PP. We aren’t the Caps.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
quick stab at Czech team. I went mostly younger generation. Positive I missed a few. Czechs will never go all NHL and prefer Extraliga players over NHL ones so keep that in mind.

Pastrnak Vrana Kubalik Voracek Chytil Necas Kaut Zadina Hertl Faksa Zacha Palat

Hronek Hajek Zboril Masin Gudas Kempny Simek (yes, I took 2 AHL guys as I'm hoping they are NHL guys by 2022.... our D continues to be weak despite me being a huge fan of all the guys, just nowhere near the better nations)

Dostal, Francouz, Mrazek (we might have a small bumper crop coming as Skarek, Rittich, Vanecek, Vladar and Korenar might be NHL level by then).

I'd make Voracek captain. I picked Palat as an A and a team leader. Zacha is a wildcard but I still think the guy improves and big Centres with excellent PK skills could be useful (same reason I took Faksa). I assume Krejci will be near the end of his rope by then but I always have room for Krejci if he's still producing and wants to play.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Laine - Barkov - Rantanen (A)
TT - Aho - Kakko
MiG (C) - Hintz - Kapanen
Lehkonen - Haula - Armia

Donskoi could slot in for Kakko but I think he'll be good for top 6 role by then. Not sure if I'd want Kotka here or rather some vet to be extra.

Heiskanen - Risto
Lindell - Vatanen (A)
Määttä - Jokiharju
Nutivaara

Rask
Korpisalo
Saros

I think Mikko Koivu could still be the best for a pure 4th line Center in 8-9min role. Othervise same lines.

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Teuvo - Aho - Kakko
MiG - Hintz - Kapanen
Haula - Koivu - Armia
(Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Donskoi)

PP1
------- Barkov
Laine -- Rantanen - MiG
---------- Vatanen

PP2
Teuvo - Aho - Kakko
Heiskanen - Risto

PP2

Pk1
Koivu - Armia
Pk2
Barkov - Haula
Pk3
Aho - Kapanen

How is Switzerland looking?

Last edited:

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
I think Mikko Koivu could still be the best for a pure 4th line Center in 8-9min role.
I agree. Koivu has a role on this team at worst as 13th forward, but I just assumed he's retired by then. But perhaps the chance to play at the olympics gives him the spark to continue his career until then.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia

Left wing depth: Ovechkin, Panarin, Gusev, 4th line player

Center depth does not exist(insert picture of Malkin staring into a black hole)

Right wing depth(any trade offers?): Kucherov, Tarasenko, Svechnikov, Kaprizov, Radulov, Dadonov, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Mikheyev, Barbashev, Nichushkin

D

Provorov, Sergachyov, Gavrikob, Orlov, Zaytsev, Zadorov

G

Vasilevskiy, Bobroskiy, Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, Georgiev, Khudobin, Varlamov's groin

Wishlist-lines

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Panarin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kucherov
Radulov - Anisimov - Kaprizov

Provorov - Sergachyov
Orlov - Zaytsev
Gavrikov - Zadorov

Vasilevskiy Shestyorkin Sorokin

Reactions: Suhov

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
Johnny Gaudreau - Auston Matthews - Blake Wheeler
Matthew Tkachuk - Jack Hughes - Jake Guentzel
Max Pacioretty - J.T. Miller - Brock Boeser

Extra: Alex DeBrincat, Dylan Larkin

Jacob Slavin - John Carlson
Quinn Hughes - Charlie McAvoy

Extra: Torey Krug, Nate Schmidt

Connor Hellebyuck
John Gibson
Ben Bishop

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Here's a stab at Team USA:
Forwards (x14):

Kyle Connor - Jack Eichel - Patrick Kane
Jake Guentzel - Auston Matthews - Matthew Tkachuk
Johnny Gaudreau - Dylan Larkin - Blake Wheeler
J.T. Miller - Brock Nelson - Max Pacioretty
Brock Boeser
Extra: Chris Kreider

Defense (x8):

Ryan Suter - Charlie McAvoy
Torey Krug
Extra: Brett Pesce

Goalies (x3):

Connor Hellebuyck
Ben Bishop
John Gibson
Notes:
  • Definitely capable of bringing home gold but the top teams are all very good and everyone is still chasing Team Canada.
  • The deepest pool and best 'paper' Team USA since the '90s teams.
  • USAH would characteristically try to jam some undeserving and unnecessary role players on the team (paging Trevor Lewis and Jack Johnson) but I ignored that for now.
  • I didn't bother projecting the progression of our youngest players since it's so variable. There are a few really young guys (i.e. Quinn Hughes) who deserve consideration now and would be on this team if they keep it up.
  • Other players I considered:
    • Forward: T.J. Oshie, Brady Tkachuk, Alex DeBrincat, Kevin Hayes, Cam Atkinson
    • Defense: Quinn Hughes, Jacob Trouba, Brandon Carlo, Ryan McDonagh
    • Goalie: None
  • Some impressive young and/or newly emerged players to monitor if they can build on their notable current play:
    • Forward: Brady Tkachuk, Bryan Rust
    • Defense: Quinn Hughes, Neal Pionk, Adam Fox, John Marino
    • Goalie: None
  • Player pool depth is at a point where they can/should start considering player enthusiasm for USAH (with limits, so more for toss-up decisions and/or lower-end roster selections):
    • A guy like Trocheck (among others like Yandle, etc.) is good enough to be under consideration for a 4th/5th center role but he can't be bothered to play for Team USA despite continual invites.
    • Whereas a guy like Brock Nelson continually shows up for USAH (and is also currently playing better) and should get extra consideration for it. The same goes for a guy like Kreider.
  • None of the "old guard" should be under consideration beyond Ryan Suter as he's still a top player. The rest of those guys (Parise, Quick, Stastny, Brown, etc.) did a lot for USAH but their time at this level should be over.

Where is DeAngelo?

Reactions: Daves a mess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad