Speculation: Your choice for a new coach

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I'll start by saying I'm not an expert on systems or coaching styles. It's a common refrain amongst us fans that the players aren't putting enough effort into winning. There may be some truth to that, but sometimes not knowing what to do can look a lot like someone being lazy. A person with simple tasks and clearly defined instructions can put more effort into his work then one with more complicated tasks and poor instruction. It was really noticeable last season, especially with Yak, Gags, Eberle and Smid. I don't believe for a second that any of those guys are lazy or uncommitted to winning. IMO they looked lost and often out of position.

Perhaps the oilers need to play a team defence first system that gives the young players a simpler structure to learn and teaches the skilled players to know when to pounce on an opportunity. Play it like a low skill team, with great counter punch. Something like the Iginla lead Flames. Or Team Canada 2014 ;) A simple plan, executed to perfection with effort... do that then move to something more complex.

This may seem counter intuitive to the type of players on the team, but the current plan of constant pressure is not working. They aren't yet good enough offensively to overwhelm the other team. A good offence only trumps a good defence if it constantly has the defence on it's heels and without the puck.

The one guy that popped into mind was Dale Hunter. But it doesn't look like he is interested in being an NHL coach (likes it in London) He improved the Caps defencively and helped change the team culture.

Per Brooks Laich when Hunter left:

“I just had a little short chat with him and shook his hand and said thank you. I asked him if there’s anything I can do to convince him to stay,†forward Brooks Laich said. “He taught us as much about leadership and team aspects and respect amongst players and trusting your teammates as he did about hockey. He was like having another veteran in the locker room. He changed the culture around here a little bit, which the rest of us really enjoyed. He’s leaving the team in a better state than he found it.â€

IMO any coach like that would be good for a few years.

This is exactly how I feel. I understand people's frustration and taking it out on the players is an obvious reaction but I believe this many players seemingly struggling in the same way is indicative of a deeper problem at the coaching level.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
My choice would be:

1) Fire KLowe,
2) Fire MacT, and
3) Fire the entire Oilers Scouting Staff.

Hire a new President of Hockey Operations that has never had anything to do with the Oilers organization; let him find the new GM who finds the new scouting staff.

Turf Eakins and Acton at the end of the season, let the new GM take the playoffs and summer to find a new coach and asst coaches.

We have to blow up the entire organization and start from scratch. Getting rid of Eakins now is pissing on a house fire.

I wonder when Hall will start demanding a trade?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My choice would be:

1) Fire KLowe,
2) Fire MacT, and

Hire a new President of Hockey Operations that has never had anything to do with the Oilers organization; let him find the new GM who finds the new scouting staff.

Turf Eakins and Acton at the end of the season, let the new GM take the playoffs and summer to find a new coach and asst coaches.

We have to blow up the entire organization and start from scratch. Getting rid of Eakins now is pissing on a house fire.

I'd turf Eakins too. His system is clearly poison to the confidence of our group and isn't working.

Unless the plan is to fully go for McDavid/Eichel. Which is a sad road to go.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'd turf Eakins too. His system is clearly poison to the confidence of our group and isn't working.

Unless the plan is to fully go for McDavid/Eichel. Which is a sad road to go.

I'm not sure how you turf Eakins without a new GM in place to put his "vision" together.

The year is clearly a wash, so take your time and do it right. Another year of this ******** and the Stadium WILL be empty next year. At least this way, by slowly and methodically assembly a new management group, you give the fans hope. Plus, at some point Eakins will start to string together a few wins.

It doesn't matter where we finish this year, as long as we have an organization that can finally do something more than pick 1st over all. It's a deep draft, so rather than keep the group together that would have you pick the likes of MAP, Plante, Riley Nash, etc., get the building blocks in place and worry about the on-ice product in the summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not sure how you turf Eakins without a new GM in place to put his "vision" together.

The year is clearly a wash, so take your time and do it right. Another year of this ******** and the Stadium WILL be empty next year. At least this way, by slowly and methodically assembly a new management group, you give the fans hope. Plus, at some point Eakins will start to string together a few wins.

It doesn't matter where we finish this year, as long as we have an organization that can finally do something more than pick 1st over all. It's a deep draft, so rather than keep the group together that would have you pick the likes of MAP, Plante, Riley Nash, etc., get the building blocks in place and worry about the on-ice product in the summer.

I'd rather have Ramsay coach as interim until you hire the right long term coach (hopefully properly interviewed people too with experience). Eakins doesn't know what he's doing at all, the longer he is around our kids the worse the damage will be IMO.

Unless seriously the plan is to go all in on McDavid, then Eakins is probably your best shot, and I'm not kidding.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'd rather have Ramsay coach as interim until you hire the right long term coach (hopefully properly interviewed people too with experience). Eakins doesn't know what he's doing at all, the longer he is around our kids the worse the damage will be IMO.

Unless seriously the plan is to go all in on McDavid, then Eakins is probably your best shot, and I'm not kidding.

No reason to go with Eakins. Hire Ramsay and use it as a long training camp for 2015-16. With Ramsay the team can improve and develop their skills. They can do this will staying in the bottom of the league, but looking competitive.

Say Eakins coaches the rest of October and gets canned with a 1-7-2 record.

Ramsay comes in and teaches the kids. They develop better skills. MacT finds a centre. Ramsay goes 26-44-4 the rest of the way. That wouldn't really be a disaster. Far better than Eakins and 60 points likely wins the McDavid lottery.

Then get your coach quickly and make some bold moves.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Already been mentioned, but the first change needs to be canning Lowe. Find somebody experienced with a proven track record. That individual can look at the rest of the organization to decide what needs to be done.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Already been mentioned, but the first change needs to be canning Lowe. Find somebody experienced with a proven track record. That individual can look at the rest of the organization to decide what needs to be done.

Why even give them the chance? Katz is still at the top and doesn't want his friends getting fired.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ralph Krueger's Southampton club spanked Sunderland 8-0 today in the Premier League and 3rd in the league

Go Ralph go! Wasn't given a fair shake by this org especially compared to the current joke we have behind the bench, so I wish him nothing but the best. Funny coincidence, his soccer team has a +14 goal differential while ours is -14.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Spot on, I never considered that.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
as a Kings fan you need Terry Murray; no cups for us without him

I agree Terry Murray would be exactly what we need imo but we need more drastic changes than just the coach, the front office needs a complete rebuild.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I'm with those that want to give Ralph Krueger a chance to work with the team a full season as the head man. MacT pulled the rug out from under him.

Not sure why Ralph would want to bother working for this sad sack management group, though.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Go no wins in five games of the easiest part of the schedule...

And he isnt fired yet.

Now this team really does look pathetic

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
This guy. The team may suck but the entertainment value of him alone would be worth it. You could even put incentives into his contracts if he goes into the crowd to discipline jersey throwers.:laugh:

Gambl0r83*

My choice would be:

1) Fire KLowe,
2) Fire MacT, and

LoL, that's so weak, last week

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm with those that want to give Ralph Krueger a chance to work with the team a full season as the head man. MacT pulled the rug out from under him.

Not sure why Ralph would want to bother working for this sad sack management group, though.

He wouldn't. He turned down the Penguins this summer. Why do that to come back to the Oilers?

His chairman job suits him I think.

He had a decent first year with the Oilers and deserved a second year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They don't need to fire Eakin's since we got him for 3 more seasons. Since he did such a good job with the Marlie's we just send him to the AHL to be Nelson's assistant coach.

david64

Feb 28, 2013
Emilio Estevez.

Preferably after a DUI followed by a community service plea.

He would rise to the challenge and turn the team around. Perhaps after learning some moral lessons along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad