Speculation: Your choice for a new coach

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
In the present season we already have a negative goal differential of -12, it's super early in the season, but my line in the sand is if our team hits -20 in goal differential at any point prior to the 20 game mark I'd pull the plug on Eakins. My goal for Eakins season to show improvement would be a year to year goal differential improvement of +35.

I understand MacTavish firing Krueger to an extent in that +12 improvement could be written off as just standing still and that was the natural improvement of our young guys creating that small boost, but Tambellini firing Renney after showing that much improvement :shakehead.

Also worth remembering that the Krueger shortened year also featured game after game against western conference teams. If you compare only results vs. the west, his time here looks even better.

It wasn't great to watch, getting outshot night after night. Faceoff percentage played a role in that, but it was also the system. But clearly it's better to have 40 shots against in which only 10 of them are quality chances, vs the current system that gives up 30 shots again, but 20 of them are quality chances.

The current aggressive pinch thing is just as bad as the swarm, every turnover in the offensive zone leads to an odd-man rush, and every turnover in the neutral zone leads to an open man in the slot. Almost as though there is a reason that good teams that employ pinching defensemen pair them with stay at home types...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Staufferd mentioned last year that Lowe wanted to step down but Katz wouldn't let him.

I wonder if that gains more steam.
Lowe didn't offer to step down. He wanted to take a sabbatical and come back at a later date. In other words he wanted to step away while the heat was on him and come back after Mactavish cleaned up his mess. My guess is this is what Katz said no to. Getting tired of this continuously being brought up like Lowe offered to do something honorable here. I don't think it could be further from the truth.

Jun 9, 2011
Does anyone know how Eakins contract works regarding termination? Maybe if he resigns, the Oilers aren't on the hook for the remainder of the contract (plus they didn't technically remove yet another coach).. and if he is fired he gets the loot. Just wondering if it's out there how that works.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Staufferd mentioned last year that Lowe wanted to step down but Katz wouldn't let him.

I wonder if that gains more steam.

We're 4 games into the season and the amount of attention the Oilers are getting is just as nuts as it was last year. It will gain steam..

It's too bad these ****ing delusional clowns in management won't let go of the team. This organization is poisoned right now and our future stars are being affected the most. All it would take is a clean sweep of management and coaching for some pressure to be taken off these kids, but nope. They're going to keep trucking along thinking they'll turn the ship around someday.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Those guys were crap too. Seriously.

We need change upstairs.

The change behind the bench will follow and hopefully it will be someone decent.

Because Ill tell you right now, if we fire Eakins, decent wont be his replacement. Desperate, cant get a nhl head job anywhere else but here will be.

Think about that for a second.

The arrogant ass clowns that manage this team must be held accountable. Throwing another sacrificial lamb on the fire then returning to business as usual isnt acceptable.

I agree with the liquor.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I actually wouldn't mind Tom Renney at this point. The guy had a sad sack team to work with as did Krueger. He looked bad and I wanted him gone but his situation was bad.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I actually wouldn't mind Tom Renney at this point. The guy had a sad sack team to work with as did Krueger. He looked bad and I wanted him gone but his situation was bad.

Renney would have a familiarity with many of the players on the team atleast...the switch could be seemless.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There were a lot of guys we could have hired who were better options. Problem is, that all the good coaches are now coaching somewhere already. Give Ramsay the job? Sure, might work. Best case scenario would have been to leave Krueger in the role, but that ship has sailed.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Renney would have a familiarity with many of the players on the team atleast...the switch could be seemless.

Wonder how that would work contractually, isn't he still being paid as result of a long term deal. Or most likely took a buyout.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
You were thinking about Eakins who we will paying after he is fired.

I can only hope, because the idea he spends the full term of his 4 year contract coaching this team gives me ulcers. I remember when he signed that, it was the first time I'd ever heard the media criticize a contract for a coach.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
My money was on Ramsey taking over after the predicted debacle that will be the 7 day home stand--I now predict Mact behind the Bench by Nov 1st

Honestly I'd be ok with that as a short-term solution. MacT's teams played good system hockey and this team needs that in spades right now. Regardless of what happened since, I still maintain to this day that MacTavish completely outcoached Mike Babcock in 2006. Players like Shanahan were totally shutdown and a total non-factor.

Jun 9, 2011
No to MacT. He is a big fan of Eakins and (Hunt). There is no way this gets better. He also picks random favourites. So MacT no.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
In all honesty, Torts might actually be a good fit for you guys, at least for a year or two. Yes his last season with the Canucks ended in disaster but there was far more to it than just coaching. We had the never ending Luongo saga, Kesler destroying the locker room, and a season altering injury to our top center who was the engine of our team (along with a ton of other injuries). His biggest mistake was probably benching Lou in the Heritage Classic which was the last straw and forced us to trade him for a AHL calibre goaltender and resulted in us playing Lack for 24 games in a row which injured and burnt him out. We were actually having one of our best seasons until Henrik and Santorelli got injured against Phoenix.

He is actually very good with young players and will teach them accountability and how to play defense. Rangers fans still credit him for some of their success last year as his heavy fitness and accountability approach stuck with the team even after he was gone. He would NEVER allow opposing players to hang out in the slot undefended. Your power play will suffer though but will probably give up less SHG. I truly think he would be a way better choice than Bylsma who by all accounts is the king of the country club atmosphere. He also wouldn't take any of the crap the media is flinging your way and has no problems with disagreeing with his GMs on personnel decisions.

And if worst comes to worst, he will beat up Hartley and get your GM and President fired.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
There is nobody's in this organization that I want to stay. Not a single exemplary person.

If we purged the entire organization tomorrow it would literally be an improvement.i can't think of a single person working front office, coaching,scouting, in the org that would be a loss.

What does it say when this organization has successfully removed every person of merit and in their place stuck those that don't intimidate or challenge the status quo?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Top 25 highest regular season winning percentages amongst coaches who have coached in the NHL from 2006-2014 and who currently don't have head coaching jobs in the NHL:

Dan Bylsma 400 games .670 regular season .551 playoffs
Dave Lewis 251 games .604 regular season .375 playoffs
Guy Carbonneau 230 games .589 regular season .417 playoffs
Jim Playfair 82 games .585 regular season .333 playoffs
Brent Sutter 410 games .584 regular season .333 playoffs
Adam Oates 130 games .565 regular season .429 playoffs
Al Arbour 1607 games .564 regular season .589 playoffs
Bryan Murray 1239 games .563 regular season .464 playoffs
Jacques Lemaire 1262 games .563 regular season .521 playoffs
Tony Granato 215 games .560 regular season .500 playoffs
Dale Hunter 60 games .558 regular season .500 playoffs
Terry Murray 1012 games .557 regular season .495 playoffs
Pat Quinn 1400 games .556 regular season .514 playoffs
Marc Crawford 1151 games .556 regular season .518 playoffs
Mike Keenan 1386 games .551 regular season .555 playoffs
Jacques Martin 1294 games .551 regular season .450 playoffs
Guy Boucher 196 games .546 regular season .611 playoffs
Davis Payne 137 games .544 regular season NA playoffs
Mike Sullivan 164 games .543 regular season NA playoffs
John Tortorella 936 games .538 regular season .483 playoffs
Andy Murray 738 games .537 regular season .357 playoffs
Craig MacTavish 656 games .537 regular season .567 playoffs
Ron Wilson 1401 games .531 regular season .495 playoffs
Cory Clouston 198 games .530 regular season .333 playoffs
Glen Gulutzan 130 games .527 regular season NA playoffs

That would be my "shortlist" to choose a coach from.

Ideally I'd want someone with a decent amount of experience + a winning record in both the regular season and the playoffs (because I'm dreaming that the hope of playoffs are somewhere in this team's future eventually).

So from that list... coaches with at least 5 seasons experience + both regular season and playoff winning percentages:

Bylsma
Arbour
Lemaire
Quinn
Crawford
Keenan
MacTavish

From that list you would obviously rule out Arbour who wouldn't coach again. Also Lemaire and Quinn can be struck off.

Leaves:

Bylsma
Crawford
Keenan
MacTavish

Obvious 1st choice for me would be Bylsma... 2nd would be Keenan... 3rd would be Crawford.

Honestly I'd like to see what Keenan would/could/should do with this roster so I'd actually lean towards him having a crack at this team. Could he make it worse... probably.. still wouldn't mind seeing him take a shot at it. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad