Value of: Your Backup Goalie to Toronto

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
You wouldn't be saying that if the Leafs lost now ,would ya? How many 6 goal games are you willing to see? long as they win,it doesn't matter?

I'm just not in full panic like a lot of you.

It's one game. If he comes back and wins 1-0. Then what will you guys complain about? Offense?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Oh, please. If they lose its a problem. If they win it's a problem. If they win but get outshot and the goalie saves them its a problem. If they win but they don't get outshot and the goalie stinks its a problem. If you don't like the Leafs it doesn't matter what they do, it's a problem. If you do like the Leafs and everything's still a problem, then why bother watching? Or do you actually watch the games?

Sure, they gave up a lot of goals to a highly skilled team, but they scored even more and that game was a treat to watch.

And they won.

Yeah, that makes all the difference.
Yes,there are problems everywhere in life!!!
I would like to see Sparky as a part of the solution,not part of the problem!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'm just not in full panic like a lot of you.

It's one game. If he comes back and wins 1-0. Then what will you guys complain about? Offense?
1-0 ,,,obviously gonna complain about offense!!! Also, as I mentioned to another ,I believe in 2nd chances,but he isn't helping himself. Nervous? Gotta learn the tendencies of big league shooters. Maybe Matthews and JT can take it easy on him in practice to build confidence!
Likely not gonna see him again till Nov. against Jersey,unless Freddy sucks too!

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
They will play good defensively with the current group because shanahan will demand it from them because when he played on the wings they defended well.

They defended well cause of the players in the roster. You really think they can be good defensively cause someone demands it..... good luck you will need it.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Niemi or Lindgren could be a good fit. Habs are ready to send Scherbak for a better return.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm no Leafs fan and I watched the game. They are not being reactionary. Sometimes you watch a goalie and you know it will never work. Sparks is one of these.

Guy was a standout in his first NHL game where he recorded a shutout. The Leafs were up against a high powered offence on the second game of a back-to-back and did nothing to stop Chicago’s attack.

Sparks made some great saves in the game. He had a few moments where he wasn’t perfect too. He’s a young goalie. Still lots of time to figure out his game.

Suggesting the Leafs made the wrong choice waiving a guy who might not even finish the season due to age is effing ridiculous.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Petr Mrazek and a #91 Tavares Whalers jersey for future considerations

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
It’s the defense not the goaltending.

I have caught the Leafs games this year so far.

They are being outworked in their own end and the defense has had a hard time going back to the playoffs.

Even if the game against Ottawa where they outshot there Sens, the Sens offense was getting into the zone and getting to the net with ease. Chabot walking in and looking like Bobby Orr didn’t help them either. Now Andersen played bad as well but they need to limit shots and focus on making the other teams take weak shots and not dangerous scoring spots.

Montreal out worked them and had a lot of good scoring chances, Andersen bailed them out.

Toronto outworked Ottawa but gave them really good scoring chances.

Chicago had very good entry and during the game in the defensive zone for Toronto, Chicago were left wide open. If you watch the game highlights. Chicago was able to go D to D the whole night and able to get shots through. Sparks was shaky but so was Ward.

It’s not on the goalies, the defense has to be shored up big time. I’ve been saying it since last year even before the Leafs playoff run. Most true and reasonable Leaf fans know as well that Tavares was exciting but didn’t address the real issue on an already dominant offensive team.

They just got to stop having to play games where they got to score 5-6 goals to win games. Shutdown the offense and force shots from out far and the half boards instead of the slot and faceoff circles. Then the goaltending will look a lot better.

The Maple Leafs right now remind me of the 08-13 Washington Capitals, run and gun offense winning games scoring 6 goals a game and winning but no defense and getting bounced in the playoffs. They changed their system and now are a well rounded system as a whole.

Leafs should look into something like this:

They have Speed / size / skill / offense they can round it out to insulate the defense while run and gunning the offense.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What goalies are available league wide and what is the pricing.

TOR needs a legitimate backup goalie not a question mark. McElhinney was a perfect fit.

People tend to underestimate the importance of a quality backup goalie.

Our management made a judgment error and it’s clear we need to give up some sort of asset to correct that.
If no other team put in a claim when Carolina picked him up, McBackup for a 3rd if the Leafs make the playoffs (they should), otherwise a 4th.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think he deserves at least a second game before coming to this conclusion.

He has however been brutal in the preseason and that game was probably the worst goaltending the least received since Toskala. I still don’t get this choice they made only explanation I have is that Mac and Pickard may get waive again and the leafs have first dibs. Sparks did have that great year with the Marlies last year though. I personally would of went with Pickard

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's 1 game. Should the Pens find a starter because Murray's looked bad?

The truth is, the equipment changes have been harder on some goalies this season. And we're going to see higher scoring games because of it. That's what the NHL wants. It's very possible this could also be the year with the most man games missed for goalies ever. We're starting strong with goalies like Luongo, Quick, Crawford, Schneider not starting either because of new injuries, rehab, or nagging injuries. Mark my words, with some of the rule changes we're going to be seeing a lot more on the IR.

Andersen didn't look great either in his opportunity. I think the smarter course of action is to wait and see. Give him a few more starts and then look at how he's performing relative to the league.

No they shouldn't but Matt Murray and Garett Sparks are not nor will they ever be the same thing neither are Sparks and Andersen

Andersen always has slow starts but his stats will be there they always are

Sparks isn't NHL caliber he has only been good in the AHL he has sucked at any chance he has gotten in the NHL

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
its been 1 game. sparks wasnt great but he beat the other guy.
leafs arent making a move for a backup. how dumb would dubas look if he panicked already?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s the defense not the goaltending.

I have caught the Leafs games this year so far.

They are being outworked in their own end and the defense has had a hard time going back to the playoffs.

Even if the game against Ottawa where they outshot there Sens, the Sens offense was getting into the zone and getting to the net with ease. Chabot walking in and looking like Bobby Orr didn’t help them either. Now Andersen played bad as well but they need to limit shots and focus on making the other teams take weak shots and not dangerous scoring spots.

Montreal out worked them and had a lot of good scoring chances, Andersen bailed them out.

Toronto outworked Ottawa but gave them really good scoring chances.

Chicago had very good entry and during the game in the defensive zone for Toronto, Chicago were left wide open. If you watch the game highlights. Chicago was able to go D to D the whole night and able to get shots through. Sparks was shaky but so was Ward.

It’s not on the goalies, the defense has to be shored up big time. I’ve been saying it since last year even before the Leafs playoff run. Most true and reasonable Leaf fans know as well that Tavares was exciting but didn’t address the real issue on an already dominant offensive team.

They just got to stop having to play games where they got to score 5-6 goals to win games. Shutdown the offense and force shots from out far and the half boards instead of the slot and faceoff circles. Then the goaltending will look a lot better.

The Maple Leafs right now remind me of the 08-13 Washington Capitals, run and gun offense winning games scoring 6 goals a game and winning but no defense and getting bounced in the playoffs. They changed their system and now are a well rounded system as a whole.

Leafs should look into something like this:

They have Speed / size / skill / offense they can round it out to insulate the defense while run and gunning the offense.

Thing is the difference between Andersen and Spatks is while Freddiealways starts slow he will rebound he always does, hell even against Chicago If Freddie was in net the Leafs win that game 6-2 instead of 7-6 because about 4 of those goals don't go in on Freddie.

Fact is Dparks has been garbage every time he has had an NHL chance be it his first stint, this past pre season r on Sunday against Chicago he has NEVER been good at the NHL the only difference now is now he has an all star offense that can cover up his garbage

That doesn't mean he is no longer shit it just means they can bail his ass out more

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Take one look at the Leafs game score tonight and you knew this thread was coming...
It was more about how, than how many. 3, maybe 4 soft goals, depending who you ask. Backups aren’t meant to win you games, but they can’t blow them giving up weak ones.

Sparks isn’t an NHL goalie, and this isn’t new information for many of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad