Value of: Your Backup Goalie to Toronto

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's 1 game. Should the Pens find a starter because Murray's looked bad?

The truth is, the equipment changes have been harder on some goalies this season. And we're going to see higher scoring games because of it. That's what the NHL wants. It's very possible this could also be the year with the most man games missed for goalies ever. We're starting strong with goalies like Luongo, Quick, Crawford, Schneider not starting either because of new injuries, rehab, or nagging injuries. Mark my words, with some of the rule changes we're going to be seeing a lot more on the IR.

Andersen didn't look great either in his opportunity. I think the smarter course of action is to wait and see. Give him a few more starts and then look at how he's performing relative to the league.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Andersen didn't look great either in his opportunity. I think the smarter course of action is to wait and see. Give him a few more starts and then look at how he's performing relative to the league.

Andersen didn't looks great for years.
Waiting was another mistake.
They should have shopped him in April.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You wouldn't be saying that if the Leafs lost now ,would ya? How many 6 goal games are you willing to see? long as they win,it doesn't matter?
Oh, please. If they lose its a problem. If they win it's a problem. If they win but get outshot and the goalie saves them its a problem. If they win but they don't get outshot and the goalie stinks its a problem. If you don't like the Leafs it doesn't matter what they do, it's a problem. If you do like the Leafs and everything's still a problem, then why bother watching? Or do you actually watch the games?

Sure, they gave up a lot of goals to a highly skilled team, but they scored even more and that game was a treat to watch.

And they won.

Yeah, that makes all the difference.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Andersen didn't looks great for years.
Waiting was another mistake.
They should have shopped him in April.
I don't know what team you've been watching, but it isn't the Leafs.

The Leafs goalie, Andersen, has been great for them year after year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm no Leafs fan and I watched the game. They are not being reactionary. Sometimes you watch a goalie and you know it will never work. Sparks is one of these.
Did you watch his NHL debut?

I did, and said this kid's got it!

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
What goalies are available league wide and what is the pricing.

TOR needs a legitimate backup goalie not a question mark. McElhinney was a perfect fit.

People tend to underestimate the importance of a quality backup goalie.

Our management made a judgment error and it’s clear we need to give up some sort of asset to correct that.
They have backups .What they need is a starter.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kari Lehtonen is still available . Not sure he can handle the Toronto pressure though .

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What goalies are available league wide and what is the pricing.

TOR needs a legitimate backup goalie not a question mark. McElhinney was a perfect fit.

People tend to underestimate the importance of a quality backup goalie.

Our management made a judgment error and it’s clear we need to give up some sort of asset to correct that.

You gotta love when some gives a hysterical hot take and says "it's clear" that their laughable hot take is correct.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Kari Lehtonen is still available . Not sure he can handle the Toronto pressure though .

Pressure? The team hasn't won a playoff round in 14 years and the local media fawns all over them and pretends they are legit contenders for the Stanley Cup. If you can't handle that kind of "pressure" you don't belong in professional sports.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pressure? The team hasn't won a playoff round in 14 years and the local media fawns all over them and pretends they are legit contenders for the Stanley Cup. If you can't handle that kind of "pressure" you don't belong in professional sports.

So nothing for Kari then. WHen Dallas and Atlanta sucked or nobody expected anything out of him he was great. When he was needed to stop pucks for a decent team would often falter.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Holy overreaction Batman
panic_button.jpg

LeaFlander Lifeline

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Play some defence in front of the guy!

Tie up sticks, move a body, throw a hit here and there....you know, d stuff.

If you track race with other teams it won’t matter who you have in net. It’s gonna be ugly

That said. Halak for Nylander. Signed. At 4 million per
i know you're kidding, you are kidding aren't you:laugh:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It was 1 game. He will get a fair shake as the backup.

In the next few weeks, the Flyers will have to waive 2 more goalies:

Pickard
Lyon
Neuvirth

...2 of them will be waived once the later 2 come back from injuries.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
People can think this is silly, but here’s Babcock’s thoughts.

Let me translate.

Babcock: I told you so Dubas, I told you so.

Sparks deserves a chance. Andersen goes down and things could get ugly.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Pickard should have been the one kept, and my guess is that he will be put back on waiver's within the next 3-4 weeks. If he does, Leafs need to fix their boo-boo, and pick him up if they can.

Sparks would have been my last choice of the 3 to keep.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It was 1 game. He will get a fair shake as the backup.

In the next few weeks, the Flyers will have to waive 2 more goalies:

Pickard
Lyon
Neuvirth

...2 of them will be waived once the later 2 come back from injuries.

If Leafs would claim Pickard and put Sparks on waivers it would prove Shanaplans are idiots.
What would be their next stupid mistake.

Sad, Pickard won't be on waivers again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad