Value of: Your Backup Goalie to Toronto

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I have a feeling Mac and Pickard will both be on waivers by Christmas, so I don't think we should give up assets. Sparks deserves a few more games.

At this point, based on play to date...McE is 1B at-worst and Mrazek is the waiver candidate.

Also though, the Canes can carry 3 G until Victor Rask comes off LTIR...and that might be next year.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Lmao over-reaction thread.

Lehtonen, Pavelec and Mason are available as UFA's if it's REALLY needed.

Goalies much better than Sparks' have looked as bad vs the Hawks in the past.

Reactions: ChuckWoods

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Waiving mcelhinney after the success he had there still baffles me. Why mess with a good situation?

Because he’s 36 and the guy we would have lost has battled from the Echl backup to being the top goalie in the AHL last year at 25. How do you put someone like that on waivers? Hey thanks for proving yourself at every level but you had a bad game so see ya...

Reality is the Leafs need to keep their young assets. Backup goaltending won’t make or break this season. I’d rather rol the dice with Sparks for the sake of the future of this club.

Reactions: Mork

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Play some defence in front of the guy!

Tie up sticks, move a body, throw a hit here and there....you know, d stuff.

If you track race with other teams it won’t matter who you have in net. It’s gonna be ugly

That said. Halak for Nylander. Signed. At 4 million per

Hold on you expect that team to play good defensively with that squad? Good luck with that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
People can think this is silly, but here’s Babcock’s thoughts.

That's basically what happened. Sparks is a big goalie with no structure and no head for the game. Perfect for a tank job, doesn't seem as good for a contender.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mason apparently already turned down a low offer for backup duties on a mystery team. Not 100% sure he'd agree.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Reactionary Leafs threads in the trade forums. Hockey season has started guys!!

I'm no Leafs fan and I watched the game. They are not being reactionary. Sometimes you watch a goalie and you know it will never work. Sparks is one of these.

Reactions: Ori

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What goalies are available league wide and what is the pricing.

TOR needs a legitimate backup goalie not a question mark. McElhinney was a perfect fit.

People tend to underestimate the importance of a quality backup goalie.

Our management made a judgment error and it’s clear we need to give up some sort of asset to correct that.

Between this and the Matthews thread...like take a breather and don't react so emotionally to everything.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Mcelhinney will end up on waiver soon. Pickard too.
I wouldn’t be so sure. It’s not very difficult to outplay Mrazek. McElhinney is a veteran who knows his role and is solid at it. Mrazek, I’m not so sure. Wouldn’t surprise me if he were out of the league in a year or two.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Why correct a mistake they made, better correct who were responsible.
Fire Shanahan, Babcock and Dubas.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I have a feeling Mac and Pickard will both be on waivers by Christmas, so I don't think we should give up assets. Sparks deserves a few more games.
This is it. Pickard will be back on waivers if the Flyers decide to keep Neuvirth as backup when he's healthy. Or they could take Neuvirth, probably a better option for a team with playoff aspirations.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad