Post-Game Talk: Your 5 "Goats" of this debacle against the Sharks

5 "Goats" of the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They aren't beating the Jets. They are basically a more talented version of the Sharks. Big, heavy, skilled, and structured. That's basically kryptonite to our smallish young team.
Minnesota they can get the W if the Wild are not at the very top of their game and our boys bring their best.

These sorts of statements have a way of sounding very silly. Plus Winnipeg isn't the Winnipeg of 7 years ago and the Devils aren't the Devils of 3 years ago.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Smith when he is on his game is much more intelligent.

Kid is slumping hard, but people need to pump the breaks. You don't dumpster a kid who hasn't even played 82 games yet

You see how out of position a lot of our veterans are some nights in this system. It’s a real tough go for a 2nd year player coming off an injury and no training camp. I’d love to see our group just plug up the middle of the ice much like the Sharks did tonight but that won’t happen with Ruff here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You see how out of position a lot of our veterans are some nights in this system. It’s a real tough go for a 2nd year player coming off an injury and no training camp. I’d love to see our group just plug up the middle of the ice much like the Sharks did tonight but that won’t happen with Ruff here.
Graves and Hamilton have been great.
People have liked Sieg's play this year.

I don't think Smith's issues this year are a Ruff thing.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Graves and Hamilton have been great.
People have liked Sieg's play this year.

I don't think Smith's issues this year are a Ruff thing.

I didn’t claim it was all a Ruff thing. As I said, SOME nights even our top defenders are out of position. The consistency isn’t there. We’ve given up a lot of shots this season, even in our most impressive wins and a lot in high danger areas. It’s a taxing system for all 5 players on the ice. I’d prefer something simpler with the youngest team in the league but maybe I’m looking too much into the coaching.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I’d prefer something simpler with the youngest team in the league but maybe I’m looking too much into the coaching.
Hey, at least you've got plenty of company.

I think people are making too much of the coaching at the moment. I don't even think we were that bad tonight. We were outplayed in the 2nd and SJ buried their ops.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
These sorts of statements have a way of sounding very silly. Plus Winnipeg isn't the Winnipeg of 7 years ago and the Devils aren't the Devils of 3 years ago.
Yes any NHL team can beat another on any given night regardless of talent level or records. I know that, and I'm speaking somewhat tongue in cheek. Winnipeg is not the same team from a few years ago but they are still big and skilled and this midget team of ours tends to get stymied easily by those kinds of teams, regardless of all else.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Speculation:

Smith might not be 100%. We may never know because of how vague this organization is with information. I’m not even sure why he was hurt to start the season.

(2nd thought) Blackwood was struggling at the start of the game and Reimer helped the Sharks weather the storm. That first goal was so deflating. Maybe a stats guy can help, but I feel like Blackwood struggles tracking shots at distance. Pucks were in and of his glove, his rebounds were all over the place, but his size and athleticism make up for some of his bad mechanics. Get a crucial stop when the team is tired is a underrated skill. BW only has a short contract, and the boys in Utica are doing very. He needs to limit his inconsistencies..

They always struggle after line-up changes. Jack looked good, and he made it out unscathed. That’s a win..

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was not good tonight, along with pretty much everyone. The problem is he is not good most nights lol
I won't say that I thought Tatar stood out, but he did score a goal and his on ice #'s were the best on the team.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Didn’t get to watch most of this one, thank god. Saw the goals which was nice to see the team will always battle.

I’m not naive enough to think that it’s not a big deal they continue to find themselves in these holes to the point of it being a trend, but it is going to remain a commonality if we continue to struggle to finish. We have started a good majority of our games the right way, but just haven’t been able to pot the chances at the rate that the good teams do. Of course I believe that it will come if you continue to play that well, but you also need to play a full 60. Too often there are peaks and valleys in the team’s overall game, which I factor to momentum and special teams issues. The PP continuing to throw up goose eggs is going to remain the biggest sore spot if it doesn’t turn around.

Maybe it’s just media speak but I’m aggravated that Ruff doesn’t seem to delve into the issues there much. It’s clear as day that there is not enough movement. And until there is more of it, it’ll always be easier for the opposing team to defend.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Didn’t get to watch most of this one, thank god. Saw the goals which was nice to see the team will always battle.

I’m not naive enough to think that it’s not a big deal they continue to find themselves in these holes to the point of it being a trend, but it is going to remain a commonality if we continue to struggle to finish. We have started a good majority of our games the right way, but just haven’t been able to pot the chances at the rate that the good teams do. Of course I believe that it will come if you continue to play that well, but you also need to play a full 60. Too often there are peaks and valleys in the team’s overall game, which I factor to momentum and special teams issues. The PP continuing to throw up goose eggs is going to remain the biggest sore spot if it doesn’t turn around.

Maybe it’s just media speak but I’m aggravated that Ruff doesn’t seem to delve into the issues there much. It’s clear as day that there is not enough movement. And until there is more of it, it’ll always be easier for the opposing team to defend.
Of course you don't want to get thrashed for 20 minutes at a time. But it happens quite often, to good and bad teams alike. I think the secret is to A) as you say, bury your chances and B)limit the opposing teams high quality chances and have your goalie stop a high percentage of those hq chances that do occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad