(Higgins), Prust
Cracknell?

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Sbisa
Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

It sickens me how Sutter was brought here to finally play above the 3rd line, with good linemates rather than behind Malkin/Crosby and with the terrible Pens depth. Yet... here we are, and we have two young centers in Horvat and McCann (who is still trying out, to be fair) who are showing to be way better options to play with the skill players than Sutter, who has now become our defacto checking center. And sure, he's better at that than Bonino... but man.

With that contract, we basically have to turf him or else we lose one of McCann/Horvat because of our costs down the middle. Or we say goodbye to the Sedins. Thanks Sutter... thanks Benning.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - McCann - Hansen
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
(Higgins), Prust
Cracknell?

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Sbisa
Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

It sickens me how Sutter was brought here to finally play above the 3rd line, with good linemates rather than behind Malkin/Crosby and with the terrible Pens depth. Yet... here we are, and we have two young centers in Horvat and McCann (who is still trying out, to be fair) who are showing to be way better options to play with the skill players than Sutter, who has now become our defacto checking center. And sure, he's better at that than Bonino... but man.

With that contract, we basically have to turf him or else we lose one of McCann/Horvat because of our costs down the middle. Or we say goodbye to the Sedins. Thanks Sutter... thanks Benning.

It's not really Sutter's fault if someone threw a bushel of money at him before he could prove he was actually worth the money.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
McCann-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett
Vey

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

When Higgins is healthy trade him for a 2nd.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
McCann-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett
Vey

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

When Higgins is healthy trade him for a 2nd.

People are so obsessed with trading Higgins. Does anybody actually have a good reason for that?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't understand the desire to not play vrbata with the twins.

By the miller goaltending wins logic the team won a helluva lot more when these guys played together.

Agreed.

It seems so obvious and simple. It worked. Vrbata clearly seems to want it, the Twins don't seem to mind having him riding shotgun as a finisher. It frees up a lot of other interesting combinations down the lineup too, as Burrows is so much more versatile.

That'd absolutely be a starting point for a lineup imo.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
People are so obsessed with trading Higgins. Does anybody actually have a good reason for that?

Yes - he has value and has an excellent cap hit. His contract is moveable. Benning and WD are also committed to having Dorsett and Prust to protect the kids.

Moving Higgins allows you have all three of Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton up here for the whole season. The extra 2.5 million in cap space also gives us options.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa

im willing to give him some time to adjust to playing with our players and in this system before I give up on him. hes got some habits to play out of.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Vey to Utica pls

On that contract, hell no. You'd at least be looking to move other guys like Prust, Sbisa, Vey and Dorsett before good value contracts like Higgins. Or at least a smart GM would...
Lol look at the comments on Shannon..guy is so out of touch on the Canucks, almost always wrong.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Agreed.

It seems so obvious and simple. It worked. Vrbata clearly seems to want it, the Twins don't seem to mind having him riding shotgun as a finisher. It frees up a lot of other interesting combinations down the lineup too, as Burrows is so much more versatile.

That'd absolutely be a starting point for a lineup imo.

Thats where horvat 2nd line has to consistently score (without)Vrbata to ensure that vrbata stays on sedin line

Now and during playoffs

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Lol look at the comments on Shannon..guy is so out of touch on the Canucks, almost always wrong.

iirc...Shannon was mostly wrong in the Gillis Era. he's been pretty accurate since Benning took over. I could be wrong though

from Bob Mckenzie:
Looks like Jared McCann, Jake Virtanen, Ben Hutton will open season on VAN roster. Does that mean Vey and Corrado on waivers? See at noon.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Vey to Utica pls

On that contract, hell no. You'd at least be looking to move other guys like Prust, Sbisa, Vey and Dorsett before good value contracts like Higgins. Or at least a smart GM would...

Those guys aren't the most appetizing to GM's I'd imagine. If Benning actually moved Vey and Prust I think most would be shocked. I think management is still love sick for Pizza though and Dorsett I can be fine with.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

I haven't read any of his articles recently but this was pretty much the case a few years ago.

Those guys aren't the most appetizing to GM's I'd imagine. If Benning actually moved Vey and Prust I think most would be shocked. I think management is still love sick for Pizza though and Dorsett I can be fine with.

Definitely not, but that they're willing to admit that Vey wasn't good enough and waived him is a start I guess.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Mccann Hansen
Cracknell Sutter Dorsett
Prust

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bartkowski
Hutton<->Sbisa(Should have been Biega)
Weber

Miller
Markstrom

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Also a point on Higgins versus Prust in the line-up.

Higgins can play up and down from 2nd to 4th. If any guy falters or goes down to injury, we need his type of player over this nonsense mentoring, enforcing, "sticking up for the youth" BS.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows Mccann Hansen
Cracknell Sutter Dorsett
Prust

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bartkowski
Hutton<->Sbisa(Should have been Biega)
Weber

Miller
Markstrom

Likely to be twins with Vrbata.

But, don't see WD putting 3 youngsters together. Either Hansen/Burrows with Bo.

Sutter with Jake and Burr/Hansen

McCann with 2 of the other guys.

Boggles my mind to have over $5 million for Prust and Dorsett.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Likely to be twins with Vrbata.

But, don't see WD putting 3 youngsters together. Either Hansen/Burrows with Bo.

Sutter with Jake and Burr/Hansen

McCann with 2 of the other guys.

Boggles my mind to have over $5 million for Prust and Dorsett.

On the upside we have 4 kids in the lineup (5 if you include Baertschi)

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Higgins-McCann-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bart
Hutton-Weber
Sbisa

The forwards work so perfectly if you let them.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yes - he has value and has an excellent cap hit. His contract is moveable. Benning and WD are also committed to having Dorsett and Prust to protect the kids.

Moving Higgins allows you have all three of Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton up here for the whole season. The extra 2.5 million in cap space also gives us options.

I wouldn't bother trading him until the deadline unless a team really came knocking on the door. If we start shopping a player who was injured in pre-season and potentially over-shadowed by rookies, we'd be in a situation where we were selling low. Which I am not in favor of.

For opening roster, I would go with:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Dorsett - McCann - Vrbata
Prust - Sutter - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Sbisa

Markstrom

I guess. Dorsett AND Prust... what a pain.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Virtanen
Dorsett

This makes the most sense.

Playing Virtanen in a role where he will get pigeon holed into just hitting stuff not making plays because his team mates are too slow and lack talent.

Handicaps the Sedins with Sutter.

Deprives the team of Sutter's speedy 2-way game at a centre, Cracknell is not better centre option.

Dorsett is much better than Prust and Cracknell. his speed fits the team better. Sure he might not be as rounded as Prust but at least he can still skate.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Playing Virtanen in a role where he will get pigeon holed into just hitting stuff not making plays because his team mates are too slow and lack talent.

Handicaps the Sedins with Sutter.

Deprives the team of Sutter's speedy 2-way game at a centre, Cracknell is not better centre option.

Dorsett is much better than Prust and Cracknell. his speed fits the team better. Sure he might not be as rounded as Prust but at least he can still skate.

That was TSN's projected opening night line-up. If McCann is staying put (and he obviously is talented enough), he can't be playing behind Sutter. And you can't waste Sutt's on the 4th line. Virtanen can move up and down the line-up.

arsmaster*

That was TSN's projected opening night line-up. If McCann is staying put (and he obviously is talented enough), he can't be playing behind Sutter. And you can't waste Sutt's on the 4th line. Virtanen can move up and down the line-up.

1-2-3-4 Willie will be sure Sutter plays 13 minutes at EV strength plus PK. He'll get his minutes even on the "4th line".

Cracknell is the easiest guy to sit for game one IMO. Journeyman should just be happy to break camp.

Sutter on the wing should be embarassing for Benning. At least with Prust and Dorsett you could tag it as a "checking line".

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Oddly enough, after 1234 Willie in the playoffs (ie very predictable), I now have absolutely no idea what this guy will do with his roster.

His comments regarding players seem at times entirely devoid of common sense. He puts together a line that explodes for points and shows a ton of chemistry and then refuses to play it again. He continually plays guys that show no consistency and struggle to keep up, while penalizing others for what seem like much lesser infractions.

I think this is the season where he'll define his NHL career. Either he's a lot craftier than he seems (possible) and he gets the team playing well together, or we're going to see him crater the team like he did with the playoffs. If it's the latter, I find it hard to imagine he'll be around for a third season.

I have to add that he's in a pretty tough place with regards to Sutter. Given his strengths and weaknesses as a player, I don't see how you can realistically play him as anything other than as a traditional 3rd or 4th line center ... and given that huge contract, the pressure to force him higher up the lineup must be significant. I have to wonder how involved he was in bringing Sutter to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00