Speculation: Your 2015-16 opening night lineup

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
McCann inbetween Dorsett and Prust would be just terrible.

My thought exactly.

That's why I'm wondering if it just might be better for McCann to head back down to Juniors where he can play a more dominant role with tons of ice-time, as opposed to playing with two slugs with limited minutes.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
In my fantasy:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Burrows McCann Hansen/Virtanen
Higgins Sutter Virtanen/Hansen

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Hutton Garrison

Lack
Markstrom

Although in the real world with the roster downgrades I'd go with these lines to start the season and reevaluate after 9 games.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows McCann Hansen
Higgins Sutter Dorsett
Vey
(Gaunce stepping in for Higgins until healthy)

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski
Corrado
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Last edited:

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
sedin sedin vrbata
baertschi horvat virtanen
burrows sutter hansen
higgins mccann dorsett

edler tanev
hamhuis weber
hutton sbisa

miller
markstrom

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (9 games)
Burrows - McCann (9 games) - Hansen
Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett
Cracknell
Injured: Higgins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Biega
Sbisa, Weber

Markstrom
Miller

This is sad. Our team would be better and have more cap space if we had a potato in charge...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett
Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski
Biega
----

Let Virtanen hit the ground running for his first few games. If he struggles, we can easily slot Burrows back with the Sedins, and will likely do once Higgins returns. Much as I want to put McCann on the third line, there is simply no way management would allow it if that meant relegating Sutter to the fourth.

Vey and Sbisa can be thrown on waivers.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski
Biega
----

Let Virtanen hit the ground running for his first few games. If he struggles, we can easily slot Burrows back with the Sedins, and will likely do once Higgins returns. Much as I want to put McCann on the third line, there is simply no way management would allow it if that meant relegating Sutter to the fourth.

Vey and Sbisa can be thrown on waivers.

I could see mostly this. Swapping Virtanen and Vrbata here and there and I'm good keeping Vey as a second spare forward. On D, I'd still work that Hutton-Sbisa pairing until I knew for sure whether it would work over the longer term and move Bartkowski with Hamhuis. Expecting them to gas Sbisa is just unrealistic and I'm encouraged by most of the two games I've seen him play with Hutton. Weber can go or kept as a number 7 if Corrado isn't.

I'd really like all of Virtanen, McCann, Gaunce, and Hutton on the team and anything the team does this year is cool regardless of the standings as it sure beats going with Vey, Higgins, Prust (expectations of sitting him is probably another unrealistic move), and Weber in the starting lineup and just making the playoffs and getting hammered or worse yet, just missing and either way getting a mid first pick in the draft as a result. I think these kids have the goods and by the end of the year at the latest they'd be a better team anyway. Problem is the coach isn't on the same page as the GM as far as youth goes and would prefer to just make the playoffs and get hammered.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (9 games)
Burrows - McCann (9 games) - Hansen
Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett
Cracknell
Injured: Higgins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bartkowski
Hutton - Biega
Sbisa, Weber

Markstrom
Miller

This is sad. Our team would be better and have more cap space if we had a potato in charge...

This. But it makes far too much sense, so naturally we won't do it ever.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Anyone who thinks Virtanen will fit well with the Sedins, hasn't seen him play enough.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Curious as to why not letting Vrbata play with the twins.

I thought he made it abundantly clear that he was VERY happy playing on that line, and was having a great time scoring goals.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
when must the 23 man roster be declared?

Tuesday morning. Basically makes tomorrow morning the deadline to waive anyone.

If I had my way, my roster would be:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Spare: Prust. Higgins on LTIR. Vey and Cracknell sent to Utica.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Biega

Spare: Bartkowski. Corrado waived, and literally anything to Sbisa. Anywhere but here.

Miller
Markstrom

---

While I believe Hutton has made the team, I think everyone needs to mentally prepare for the fact that he is going to be sent to Utica before Tuesday. The Canucks need to have Higgins on their roster before placing him in the LTIR, and unless I am mistaken, Hutton is the only non-waiver eligible player who can be sent to Utica and promptly recalled.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Radim Vrbata
Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen
Alex Burrows - Jared McCann - Jannik Hansen
Brendan Gaunce - Brandon Sutter - Derek Dorsett

Brandon Prust, Adam Cracknell.

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton - Dan Hamhuis
Yannick Weber - Matt Bartkowski

Luca Sbisa, Alex Biega, Frank Corrado

Jacob Markstrom
Ryan Miller

This lineup is barring a trade with Hamhuis or Corrado, which I believe will happen soon, probably the latter.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata
Gaunce/Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Gaunce/Prust - McCann - Virtanen/Dorsett

Cracknell, Vey (if unlcaimed), Kenins, Higgins on LTIR.

Management has said before that they want someone who isn't going to be pushed around playing with the Sedins (not Vrbata). Let Sutter start on the 2C spot until Horvat really, REALLY starts pushing him. Gaunce fills on for Higgins on 3LW until he returns. After that, Gaunce rotates with Prust on the 4LW. He and Virtanen rotate in the 4LW/RW spots, but never at the same time. This will keep one of Prust/Dorsett on at all times to "protect" them. We have replacements for all of Gaunce, Virtanen and McCann if they're not ready.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Hutton/Bartkowski

Biega, Hutton/Bartkowski.

Ease in Hutton and let him rotate with Bartkowski. Easy to send down Hutton if he's not ready.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The lines don't matter as much to me as the lineup/roster in general.

Gaunce should be in for Prust and Biega should be in for Sbisa. McCann obviously in over Vey/Cracknell.

The opening day lines will likely change by game 2, if not during game 1.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Curious as to why not letting Vrbata play with the twins.

I thought he made it abundantly clear that he was VERY happy playing on that line, and was having a great time scoring goals.

Yeah… he makes it clear that he wants to play with the twins every time they put him with someone else it seems. It's less than ideal for the hockey team.

arsmaster*

I don't understand the desire to not play vrbata with the twins.

By the miller goaltending wins logic the team won a helluva lot more when these guys played together.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata/Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat -Virtanen/Vrbata
Burrows/Virtanen - Sutter - Hansen
Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Biega
Hutton - Sbisa/Bartkowski

Miller
Markstrom

Keep Weber far, far away from this team. I'd like Sbisa gone too but that won't happen under Jimmy. Roll 1-4 and emphasize on puck possesion and quick transitions from defence through the neutral zone. Love Ben being on the main team just because of his ability to give crisp tape to tape passes with forecheckers on his back, play his pair with the twins and they'll work wonders.

PP1: Twins, Vrbata, Sutter/Burrows with Edler/Hutton

PP2: Baertschi, Bo, Burrows/McCann with Tanev and Hutton/Edler

This team could probably finish in the 6-10 range IMO and surprise alot.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sedins Vrbata
Svebotanen
Burrows Sutter Hansen
Dorsett MaCann Vey
Prust

Elder Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski
Sbisa

Miller
Once Higgibs is back, you slot him into the fourth line and waive Vey.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
My PowerPlay and Penalty Kill units would look like this:

PowerPlay 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vrbata - Edler

PowerPlay 2:

Baertschi - Horvat - Sutter

Hutton - McCann

There are two young guys on the 2nd Unit who might not be ready to take the role (Hutton and McCann). If so, replace McCann with Weber and Hutton with Sbisa. I know that will not be the popular decision, but he is the most offensive minded defensman we have behind Edler and Weber that isn't Hutton.

Penalty Kill 1:

Sutter - Burrows

Edler - Tanev

Penalty Kill 2:

Horvat - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bartkowski

Higgins could rotate through when he comes back. Maybe even McCann and Gaunce too.

Elite Grinder

Dec 6, 2011
Purgatory
Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Higgins/Prust-Cracknell/Vey-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski/Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

This is what I'd like to see to start the season.

I'd like to see McCann stick around, but I can see the value in having him go back to Junior after his 9 games and when Higgins comes back. I'd like to see him play in the WJHC this winter too, where I think he'll play a lot.
Hansen has good underlying numbers with the Sedins and it frees up Burrows to play on the left side where I think his underrated playmaking ability will mesh well with Vrbata. I put them as the second line only to keep Vrbata in the top 6 but I think the 2nd and 3rd line minutes will be extremely close. Fourth line LW changes to suit the competitions, and Vey can always be thrown on the right wing to cover any injuries.
Defensive pairings are pretty self explanatory. I would like to see Biega up here to give another right shot option, but it's not like we won't have an injury on the back end and we will see him here eventually.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad