Speculation: Your 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche! (Roster, lines, Surprises)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 42 min
Hockey News Pool Mag Avalanche Proj: Leading Scorer MacKinnon 80pts, Duchene 78, O'Reilly 68, Landeskog 66, Iginla 61, Barrie 49, Tanguay 38

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty generous, other than I assume they have EJ and McGinn at less than 38 points. Only way Tanguay puts up that few is if he is hurt.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't even know where to put this but our other Nate stalking video was here so...

Starts with just Crosby, then MacK and Duchene join.

Its crazy how amazing it is to have Mack and Duchene on the same team.

On a side note, what goalie in their right mind would put themselves on the ice against 3 of the best hockey players in the league haha. :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Its crazy how amazing it is to have Mack and Duchene on the same team.

On a side note, what goalie in their right mind would put themselves on the ice against 3 of the best hockey players in the league haha. :laugh:

Seriously we are so lucky. That video just proves to me how amazing MacKinnon is going to be, there was one pass he made that was straight filthy. And there was another one where took a pass from Crosby one timed it perfectly top shelf over a well positioned goalie like it was nothing.

I'm so excited for the season to start.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey 42 min
Hockey News Pool Mag Avalanche Proj: Leading Scorer MacKinnon 80pts, Duchene 78, O'Reilly 68, Landeskog 66, Iginla 61, Barrie 49, Tanguay 38

Seriously hope he can do more than that. If he can crack at least 65 games he should do at least 55 pts. Plus he'll be at 1000 games in his career.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Tanguay is 34, it's not like he's ancient. And he's a playmaker no? He doesn't need to be an insane physical specimen to perform. He's going to put up a lot of points if he's healthy.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Now keep in mind i dont follow the Avs a whole lot, so i dont know if some players cant play certain positions, especially on D. But anyways here's my lineup:

Landeskog - Duchene - MacKinnon
Tanguay - O'Reilly - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
Bordeleau - Winchester - Talbot
McLeod
Cliche

All lines with capable FO guys. 1st line brings the offense with skill, speed and youth. 2nd line is kinda slow but there's a lot experience and i see the chemistry, so secondary scoring should be there. 3rd line is a semi-shut down line that can score as well. Briere can bring the skill element on that line. 4th line should be a pretty good one, i think Winchester will do well in Colorado.

Johnson - Hejda
Barrie - Holden
Elliott - Stuart
Redmond
Guenin

I know Hejda was bad in the playoffs but unless he and Holden switch places i see no other option. I actually think defense is better than last year. Every pairing with RH and LH defenseman. Im expecting Elliott to take the next step, playing with experienced Stuart is not that bad. Redmond and Guenin are also pretty sweet depth defensemen. Wilson can be buried in the minors for some xtra cap space.

Varlamov
Berra

Berra has to step up and be a solid backup but honestly im not sure if thats going to happen. Never quite understood the contract.

All in all i like the Avs. Playoff team to me and i can see the potential there to upset someone once they get there. Expecting a bit more difficult season than last year though.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Landeskog - Duchene - MacKinnon
Tanguay - O'Reilly - Iginla
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
Bordeleau - Winchester - Talbot
McLeod
Cliche

Johnson - Hejda
Barrie - Holden
Elliott - Stuart
Redmond
Guenin

Varlamov
Berra

You are way off with the top 6. Landeskog and MacKinnon have zero chemistry with Duchene. Both Duchene and MacKinnon need to have the puck on their stick. They shouldn't be on the same line.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay

You've also got all our RHD on the left side. Elliott won't be in the starting lineup and Stuart will be in the top-4.

Hejda/Stuart - EJ
Hejda/Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Your bottom six looks right. Maybe McLeod in for Bordeleau though.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You are way off with the top 6. Landeskog and MacKinnon have zero chemistry with Duchene. Both Duchene and MacKinnon need to have the puck on their stick. They shouldn't be on the same line.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay

You've also got all our RHD on the left side. Elliott won't be in the starting lineup and Stuart will be in the top-4.

Hejda/Stuart - EJ
Hejda/Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Your bottom six looks right. Maybe McLeod in for Bordeleau though.

Yeah i realized after the post that the top 6 is probably off, but wanted to see replies anyways.

Im pretty sure Tanguay is LW, so swap him with Landeskog and that top 6 looks pretty good.

As far as the defense goes, i didnt really care for the actual sides. Just the pairings itself. How can you be so sure that Elliott doesnt make the team? Its basically either the full year in AHL or NHL, or they can bring him up once since he's not waiver exempt. If he's anything near ready i'd say give him a chance right from the start since he's probably going to be brought up at some point anyways. And if im not horribly mistaken, Lake Erie isnt a very good AHL team so might be better to play with better players on the big club. Then again if Redmond outplays him it'd be bad for him to sit on the pressbox.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Im pretty sure Tanguay is LW, so swap him with Landeskog and that top 6 looks pretty good.

Tanguay played RW last year. I doubt he and Lando would switch now. I would imagine the only way he plays LW is if RoR is at center moving MacK over to the right, like you originally had it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There are going to be 10 defensemen under contract so at minimum two have to go. Redmond isn't getting cut so Elliott is going to have to beat some guys out and I'm not sure if he will. I don't know that Roy is especially high on him and there isn't a great place for him on the team. He could get claimed if sent down. They could cut Wilson and Noreau, two that surely would clear and keep Elliott in a rotation with Redmond and Guenin. He's not going to get a spot outright, there is too much competition among guys Roy brought in

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
BvIJN-xIMAAo5Be.jpg

what happens next?

spoiler

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
:laugh: That's awesome. Too bad we got dropped by the Leafs that game. Weren't they up 4-0 or something and MacK got 2?

Yeah. Was one of the few games I for sure thought we would crush at home like 6-1 or something. Im always off with these. I thought we would lose to BUF at home like 3-1...derp.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
My guess...

ROR Duchene Iginla
Landy Mitchell Mac
McGinn Briere Tangs
McLeod Winch Talbot

Holden EJ
Hejda Barrie
Stuart Redmond
Wilson Guenin

Varly