Speculation: Your 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche! (Roster, lines, Surprises)

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
After watching that training video, Duchene has to work on his defensive skills lol. That video was entertaining though.

For the lines I would like to see O'reilly and Landy paired up and Iginla and Tanguay with Duchene and Mackinnon as the centers. Mackinnon may need Landy/O'reilly on his line to help him the defensive zone, but if not this would be my ideal line-up.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I like the spin pass at 2:10 in that video. Makes me miss the Avs even more.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
After watching that training video, Duchene has to work on his defensive skills lol. That video was entertaining though.

For the lines I would like to see O'reilly and Landy paired up and Iginla and Tanguay with Duchene and Mackinnon as the centers. Mackinnon may need Landy/O'reilly on his line to help him the defensive zone, but if not this would be my ideal line-up.

What's with everyone splitting up O'Reilly and Duchene? Give Landy to MacKinnon and call it a day. Landy and O'Reilly will do the same with nearly the exact same centers though Duchene seems more willing to pass then MacKinnon.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I don't even know where to put this but our other Nate stalking video was here so...

Starts with just Crosby, then MacK and Duchene join.

Wow, Sid and Mac absolutely destroyed Andy MacDonald in the drills. Flyers fans can't be happy seeing that.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
What's with everyone splitting up O'Reilly and Duchene? Give Landy to MacKinnon and call it a day. Landy and O'Reilly will do the same with nearly the exact same centers though Duchene seems more willing to pass then MacKinnon.

O'reily/Landy-Duchene-O'reilly/Landy
Tangs/Mack/Iginla

Not suggesting splitting up O'reilly/Duchene, But why would you want O'reilly/Landy split up, they played good together and Iginla/Tanguay have played with each other before and have chemistry built with each other already. It's not like Duchene/ROR were so good together last year that separating them would be an awful idea.

I was really hoping Roy was going to put Landy and ROR together during the playoffs while Duchene was out to even the lines.

Has there been any word if Mackinnon will be starting off as center or winger?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Mike Chambers @MikeChambers
Iginla's linemates, BTW, probably b Calder winners Landeskog ('12) & MacKinnon ('14) to start. I asked Iginla abt that & will link soon #Avs

Wonder if he was told that or if he's just speculating. I thought they would try Iginla with Duchene and O'Reilly. That would add some more toughness to that line and give them a right-handed shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mike Chambers @MikeChambers
Iginla's linemates, BTW, probably b Calder winners Landeskog ('12) & MacKinnon ('14) to start. I asked Iginla abt that & will link soon #Avs

Wonder if he was told that or if he's just speculating. I thought they would try Iginla with Duchene and O'Reilly. That would add some more toughness to that line and give them a right-handed shot.

Seems like he was told that by Iggy from the tweet.

I LOVE that! It was what I was hoping for from the second we signed Iggy. Duchene has seemed to always have issues with PF types and it gives MacKinnon a bunch of insulation to start the season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd prefer Iggy with Dutchy but knowing Mackinnon's linemates are Iggy and Landy I don't think the Backes' and Kesler's of the NHL will be doing the crap they were last year.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'd prefer Iggy with Dutchy but knowing Mackinnon's linemates are Iggy and Landy I don't think the Backes' and Kesler's of the NHL will be doing the crap they were last year.

Not that macKinnon was at any point pushed around. He more than stuck up for himself.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Seems like he was told that by Iggy from the tweet.

I LOVE that! It was what I was hoping for from the second we signed Iggy. Duchene has seemed to always have issues with PF types and it gives MacKinnon a bunch of insulation to start the season.

Duchene only had issues with PFs if you pay attention to really really small sample sizes. That was also back when Duchene wasn't the player he is now. McGinn isn't your typical PF but him and Duchene were fine together.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Duchene only had issues with PFs if you pay attention to really really small sample sizes. That was also back when Duchene wasn't the player he is now. McGinn isn't your typical PF but him and Duchene were fine together.

Duchene has never meshed with a PF and has been given a number of chances with the few that the Avs have had in his time here.

McGinn isn't a PF. He is a grinder with an above average shot.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Duchene has never meshed with a PF and has been given a number of chances with the few that the Avs have had in his time here.

How much has he played with Landy, since he really is the only power forward we have had in the last few years?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How much has he played with Landy, since he really is the only power forward we have had in the last few years?

Duchene started the lockout season with Landy on his line. Sacco tried Landy with Duchene a bit during his rookie year as a spark, but Landy never lasted long there and always returned to being with ROR. Stewart was also a PF that played with Duchene.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He very rarely played with Stewart and Landeskog so I'm not going to put too much stock in those small sample sizes. He also didn't use his linemates as much back then and lets not forget about Sacco's awful dump and chase system either. I think we'd see a different outcome now if Duchene played with Iginla or Landeskog.

Duchene started the lockout season with Landy on his line. Sacco tried Landy with Duchene a bit during his rookie year as a spark, but Landy never lasted long there and always returned to being with ROR. Stewart was also a PF that played with Duchene.

Landeskog got concussed in the 4th game of the season so I don't what anyone can learn from those few games they were together.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Duchene started the lockout season with Landy on his line. Sacco tried Landy with Duchene a bit during his rookie year as a spark, but Landy never lasted long there and always returned to being with Duchene. Stewart was also a PF that played with Duchene.

No he didn't. He went back with O'Reilly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No he didn't. He went back with O'Reilly.

I fixed it... it should have been easy to see what I meant as he wouldn't leave Duchene's line to play with Duchene.

He very rarely played with Stewart and Landeskog so I'm not going to put too much stock in those small sample sizes. He also didn't use his linemates as much back then and lets not forget about Sacco's awful dump and chase system either. I think we'd see a different outcome now if Duchene played with Iginla or Landeskog.

I bet if we looked back Duchene probably played 30+ games where he played with Stewart or Landy. The point sticks that Duchene has yet to find a PF that he has ever played well with. It is possible it happens someday, maybe as soon as the beginning of this upcoming season. It just hasn't happened yet. MacKinnon has proven he can play VERY well with that type of player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landeskog got concussed in the 4th game of the season so I don't what anyone can learn from those few games they were together.

Landy also returned to that line numerous times throughout the season. Landy was bounced around a ton during the lockout season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So Sakic and Foote did interviews on The Fan this afternoon apparently, where they discussed analytics and the defense. Anyone listen in? I'll probably check it out after work.

Also, I asked Moser what day the Avs hit the ice on training camp and he said September 18, but quickly deleted his tweet, so who knows.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So Sakic and Foote did interviews on The Fan this afternoon apparently, where they discussed analytics and the defense. Anyone listen in? I'll probably check it out after work.

It was on the Drew, Sandy, and Scott show for anyone interested. It should be on their website... I'm going to give a listen soon.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks like Chambers was just going based off this....

Avs coach Patrick Roy previously suggested Iginla — whose 560 career goals ranks 25th all-time — would be a good fit with his two youngest forwards.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_26379813/jarome-iginla-thrilled-idea-play-avs-landeskog-mackinnon

Iginla does sound excited at the thought of playing on a line with MacKinnon and Landeskog. Still hoping we see this:

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It was on the Drew, Sandy, and Scott show for anyone interested. It should be on their website... I'm going to give a listen soon.

yeah just listened to both. no real earth shattering information but a great listen to hear them both talk about hockey and the team. About 20 minute interviews for each.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1620

If anyone doesn't want to go through them pretty much Sakic said he's not a fan of analytics at the end, most of his interview was about the offseason moves they made so not much new info there. Foote talked a bit about EJ and Barrie specifically and why Roy is so successful as a coach.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it's safe to assume they won't be investing in an analytics department anytime soon. I don't think it would hurt to get someone in the front office who is an expert on the numbers and maybe they already have someone but if Sakic and Roy aren't fans, I guess it doesn't really matter.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Looks like Chambers was just going based off this....

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_26379813/jarome-iginla-thrilled-idea-play-avs-landeskog-mackinnon

Iginla does sound excited at the thought of playing on a line with MacKinnon and Landeskog. Still hoping we see this:

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay

To me, sounds like Chambers asked him a leading question

"Obviously it's early and I'm not sure what the line combinations will be, and they have a lot of skilled guys who could mix and match, but if that's the case, yeah, I'll be thrilled"

I'm sure Iginla would be happy playing with them but I don't think he's indicating that's the plan just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad