Speculation: Your 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche! (Roster, lines, Surprises)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So there's been a lot of talk mixed into every thread on here about who makes the team next year and what the lines will look like. Of course it's a long offseason and there's no way of knowing if any more moves will happen, but with Sakic saying yesterday the Avs are done in free agency I figured why not start a thread to get us talking about next year. Plus it can never hurt to organize our board a little better after the crazy week that has past.

Any prospects surprise and take over a spot?
Will Mackinnon move back to centre? ROR?
Will Iggy be the RW'er Dutchy has been looking for?

Let's hear what you guys think.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Even though I just opened this thread, i'll post my opinion here. I don't want to be that guy that makes his opinion heard in OP :laugh:

Nathan Mackinnon will be one of the best centre's in the NHL for a long time. With that being said, I don't have a problem with him continuing on the wing this year if his centreman is Ryan O'Reilly. I know you guys love the O'Reilly-Dutchy chemistry and he worked out great as a winger but one of the biggest parts of our great season was how good the Stastny line was at shutting down the other teams. Radar is more than capable of taking Stastny's place as the shutdown centre, and the rest of the line will remain the same. Let's not forget about the old Landeskog/O'Reilly chemistry. Plus Mackinnon/Radar can split some centre responsibilities to let him slowly learn both sides of the centre game and prepare him for future years.

I want the scoring line to be Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla. Yes people keep saying Tangs and Iginla are old, but they are still responsible defensively and can produce at a scoring line rate. Dutchy will support them fine. I consider Duchene the Crosby of Colorado. Not that he is anywhere near the level of Crosby, but we can afford to put our "B" scorers with him because he is able to make everybody around him better. We don't need a bonafide first line star to play beside Dutchy.

Defense is in the air for me, but one bold wish if mine would be for Bigras to step in and have a camp proving he's ready. I know even if he is ready he wont have top pairing talent, but I would still want him to be EJ's partner. Let the rest of the D battle it out to see who fills the bottom pairings. (other than Barrie of course)

Here are the exact lines I want to see.

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Mackinnon
Mcginn - Mitchell - Briere
Mcleod - Talbot - Winchester

Hejda - Johnson
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Redmond (If Bigras can make it, pair him with EJ and move everybody else down a line. Let the bottom 2 or 3 battle out week by week)

Varlamov
Berra

Tanguay Duchene Iginla

Last edited:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Even though I just opened this thread, i'll post my opinion here. I don't want to be that guy that makes his opinion heard in OP :laugh:

Nathan Mackinnon will be one of the best centre's in the NHL for a long time. With that being said, I don't have a problem with him continuing on the wing this year if his centreman is Ryan O'Reilly. I know you guys love the O'Reilly-Dutchy chemistry and he worked out great as a winger but one of the biggest parts of our great season was how good the Stastny line was at shutting down the other teams. Radar is more than capable of taking Stastny's place as the shutdown centre, and the rest of the line will remain the same. Let's not forget about the old Landeskog/O'Reilly chemistry.

Assuming Duchene can find chemistry with anyone else immediately. He hasn't had a lot of chemistry with many people since his career began, and nobody really that's left on the team other than ROR

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Assuming Duchene can find chemistry with anyone else immediately. He hasn't had a lot of chemistry with many people since his career began, and nobody really that's left on the team other than ROR

I have to disagree with you. IT seems like people always say Duchene has trouble creating chemistry but I think it's the opposite. He's had very good chemistry with Flash, PAP, Mcginn and O'Reilly. I think Mueller found some success with him too but I may be wrong so don't nail me for it :laugh: . Just because he failed to find success on the 3rd line in Sacco's system doesn't mean he cant find chemistry. When Duchene is playing his best, he seems to work anywhere.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Start the season:

ROR - Dutch - Iginla
Landy - MacK - Tanguay
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot
McLeod - Briere - Winchester
Bords

Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Redmond
Elliott - Guenin

Post trade deadline:

McGinn/Hishon - Dutch - Iginla
Landy - MacK - [Player A]/McGinn
Mitchell - Briere - Talbot
McLeod - Winchester - Bords
Cliche

[Player B] - EJ
Hejda/Stuart - Barrie
Siemens - Redmond
Elliott - Guenin

- Player A and B will be acquired in a ROR trade after his arbitration ruling and is done early in the season. Something similar to Josi+, or Staal+
- Injuries to Tanguay and Stuart/Hejda (who could also be a deadline trade) open a spot for Hishon and Siemens.
- Elliott or Siemens could be part of the ROR trade

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I just don't see the fascination behind moving O'Reilly back to Center...and this is coming from someone who was a bit put off by the fact they moved him to LW in the first place. He didn't just "do well" there he THRIVED at LW. He was getting Top Line minutes and actually producing. It's not just the offensive chemistry that Duchene and O'Reilly have it's the defensive chemistry they have as well. They read and react off of each other pretty well. O'Reilly takes a lot of the defensive responsibility of the Centre position for Duchene and they're able to swap back on the offensive breakout.

Tanguay and Iginla are, as you said, defensively responsible, so is Landeskog, so MacKinnon should not be in a terrible position if he's Centering Lando and Iginla. With that said here's how I'd like to see the lines

O'Reilly-Duchene-Tanguay
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Iginla
McGinn-Briere-Talbot
McLeod/Winchester-Mitchell-Bordeleau/Winchester

Extra: Bordeleau/McLeod/Winchester & Cliche (I think McLeod gets the most games if he's healthy and not suspended and Winchester and Bordeleau get a healthy rotation in depending on matchups)

Hejda-Johnson
Stuart-Barrie
Holden-Redmond

Extra: Elliott, Wilson and Guenin

Varlamov
Berra

The "Extras"--specifically Cliche and Guenin--would be there if Roy wanted to keep it at the 23 man maximum, if not then I see those two being in Lake Erie (unless claimed on Waivers)

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
Tangs - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Mackinnon - O'Reilly
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
Bordeleau - Winchester - Talbot

Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Redmond

Really would not mind seeing Hishon somehow sneak into that lineup somehow. Also really want Redmond there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I get how well O'Reilly played at wing, but who do we match against other teams top lines?

Plus i'd say it's almost a lock that Iggy plays with Duchene. Whether ROR is wing or centre, I think Iggy is Dutchy's RW'er.

Over the Pants Landy

Feb 19, 2013
CT
I think the plan all along has been for Mack to be the #2 C. Does that immediately happen this season? I'm not sure.

He'll need to be ready once O'Reilly does go though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If I were the coach...

Tanguay - Duchy - MacKinnon
Landeskog - ROR - Iginla
McGinn - Briere - Talbot
McLeod - Winchester - Bordeleau
Mitchell, Cliche

Barrie - EJ
Hejda - Redmond
Stuart - Elliott
Holden, Guenin

------
In reality Mitchell will be 3C (sigh), Holden will be playing regularly (I really hate we're not going to give Elliott a shot) and MacKinnon plays center (ugh).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think the plan all along has been for Mack to be the #2 C. Does that immediately happen this season? I'm not sure.

He'll need to be ready once O'Reilly does go though.

Well does he get better if he never plays center? I think we should move him next season to center spot and keep him there, till forever. I'm sure there will be some growing pain, but It has to happen at some point. Duchene can face the worst opponents. Tanguay is decent defensively and Iggy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd start out with:

ROR-Duchene-Tanguay
Landy-MacK-Iginla
McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
Bordy/Cliche

Hejda-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Elliott
Wilson/Guenin

Varly
Berra

Tangs and ROR are both good defensively and having Tangs playmaking skills on that line would be a good thing for both ROR and Duchene. Though this is mostly forced because MacK probably needs to be insulated the most, and Duchene not having success with power forward types (could have easily changed as he has matured). Iginla and Landy are both big power forward types that MacK seems to thrive with. Iginla and Tangs could easily be switched around if these lines don't work. The 3rd line has a bit of scoring punch, and each player should surpass 10g and 30p with ease. It isn't super great defensively which sucks considering Duchene and MacK are still weak defensively, but should be a solid 3rd line. The 4th line has PK players and some fighting ability. Should be a good energy line that is good for 10 or so minutes a night as they are all solid defensively and Winchester and Talbot are both bordering on great in that area.

The defense is a patchwork. Hejda hopefully still has one more good year in his tank, and hopefully Barrie can mesh with Stuart. If Barrie can, then that opens him up for more 5v5 ice time, which should improve the defense. Redmond is the wild card, if he can step in and play a solid 17-18 minutes a night then the defensive groups isn't nearly as bad as it looks (it allows only Hejda and EJ to play more than 21 minutes). If he can only provide ~15, then the Avs will be relying on all of Hejda, EJ, Stuart, and Barrie to play 21+ minutes a night which probably won't end well (the real key is keeping Stuart in the 18-19 minute range).

The only player that I think could surprise is Bigras. His skating is already NHL level, and he can move the puck well. He just isn't strong enough which could be solved with a really intense offseason. If he comes into camp heavier and stronger than he was last year, I could see him pushing for a spot. It won't be with EJ or Barrie, but I could see him play with Holden with one of them playing their off side (both can with relative ease). I'd give this only about a 10% chance though as I think the roster is pretty much set.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I get how well O'Reilly played at wing, but who do we match against other teams top lines?

Plus i'd say it's almost a lock that Iggy plays with Duchene. Whether ROR is wing or centre, I think Iggy is Dutchy's RW'er.

We now have 2 lines tht can play the top lines. We never really had a shutdown line last year. It's just that the first line was so much of a scoring line the 2nd line was considered a shutdown line and we had to try and keep that first one away from opposing scoring lines. Last year it was more about sheltering the 1st line than the 2nd line being a shutdown line. RoR - Duchene - Iggy is a solid 2 way line. RoR - Duchene - PaP is a weak defensive line.

Swapping Tang for Staz really does not change much. Tang brings a lot of the same defensive capabilities and style that Staz did. He just isn't a C. Both are smart positionally. Both know where to position their sticks. Both are quick to react to rebounds and loose pucks. Both are quick at transitioning to offense and moving the puck the other direction. Neither are aggressive on the puck. Neither are physical. Neither one is dominate along the boards. Neither one gets a ton of blocks or steals. And I have a feeling MacK is going o take the game 7 loss personal because of the gtg he ignorantly gave up, which causes him to really work on his D and his defensive awareness turning him into quite a solid 2 way player.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Wonder what this years motto will be. :dunno:

Slow and steady wins the race

Anyways, lines.
I had a few rules here:

1.Dutchy and MacK not together as it was a disaster every time they played together.
2.Centers are Dutchy, MacK, Briere and Winchester/Mitchell
3.Tanguay and Iginla start on different lines, but if the lines don't work that is the first change that is made (Duchene in the middle)
4.Cliche and Guenin off the roster

ROR-Duchene-Iginla
Lando-MacK-Tangs
McGinn-Briere-Mitchell
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot
Bordy

Hejda-EJ
Stuart-Barrie
Holden-Redmond
Wilson, Elliott

Varly
Berra

If you'd want, you could replace Mitchell with Talbot, put Winchester as 4th RW and Mitchell as 4th C.
Guenin and Cliche sent down to the minors.

I'd say that's quite close barring any other changes in the roster (i.e basically the trade of ROR).

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I'm surprised more people don't have Stuart penciled in next to EJ. Isn't that what Sakic made it sound like it would be? I wouldn't be surprised, while being very intrigued, to see Holden with EJ. I think Holden is going to look a lot faster next season. He finally has an NHL salary to train on, and it is going to buy him some damn good skating lessons.

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Mitchell is used as the shutdown center. He skates the puck out of the zone as well as anyone on the team, and he's not terrible at faceoffs. This would require Briere being hurt, scratched, or replacing someone in the top 6, with Talbot moving to the third line.

I also think seeing that Iginla-Tanguay connection would be sweet.

I'd also prefer to see Bordeleau dressed most games. I just love his huge hits, but I think this is the season where he fills up on nachos like the rest of the tough guys in the NHL.

Landeskog-Duchene-O'Reilly
Tanguay-MacKinnon-Iginla
McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot

Holden-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Stuart-Redmond

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Personally, I like the idea of:
RoR - Duchene - Iggy
Lando - MacK - Tanguay
McGinn- Briere - Mitchell
Bordy- Winchester - Talbot
McLeod

Gives us great balance throughout the top 9. All the top 3 lines are in that 2 way mold. Each one has at least one power forward. Each one has at least 2 solid defenders. Each one has play making. Each one has finishers. Then that fourth line can still play a checking role, but Winchester and Talbot provide a lot more offensive/puck control over McLeod and Cliche.

As for Iggy/Tanguay, I like the idea of Iggy on the first line because he brings that power forward aspect to that line. And I like Tang with MacK over Duchene because Tanguay is mainly a set up guy. MacK is the better finisher right now while Duchene is the more dominate puck handler.

Bordy vs McLeod - Bordy is just better at most things IMO. He is the biggest hitter on the team by far. But he has now learned how to avoid the stupid penalties unlike McLeod. His offensive skills are very underrated as well. He took huge stps this year with the puck. Wasn't impressive or anything, but typically very smart and a lot more smooth than expected. McLeod, did he even touch the puck once this past year?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm just having a hard time seeing Iginla with anyone other than Duchene. It gives us two right handed shots on the top two lines, and I think he'd do well with them.

I also think he'll be on the PP with Duchene and O'Reilly. Those two do a lot of good give and go work on that side of the ice, and it's set up perfect to have Iginla in the slot, set up for a one-timer.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Any one else think a Landy/O'Reilly/Iginla line would be very good? I know that messes up other line combos, but just thinking out loud...

It would be pretty good. Lacks a true playmaker though. And then our 2nd line would be very soft and have way to much playmaking on it. Tang- Duchene- MacK, there's only 1 puck to go around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad