Speculation: Your 2013-2014 Detroit Red Wings

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
We need some cap space. Only 2.3M left with 3 players to sign(Andersson, Nyquist, Smith)

I don't know how we can sign Morrow. I don't think anyone will take Sammy/Bert off our hands.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We need some cap space. Only 2.3M left with 3 players to sign(Andersson, Nyquist, Smith)

Alfy has 2 mil in bonuses. He may not each them or they could count on next year's cap if DET goes over the cap as he reaches them, I think.

Waive Eaves and save 900 k there. Bert on IR, another 2 mil.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Anyone else get the impression that Holland is recreating last year's team with different players?
Flip --- Weiss
Brunner ---- Alfredsson
Cleary ---- Morrow

The only guy I see as a real upgrade is Morrow

All three are upgrades. Not to mention the improvement within from Gus, Tatar, DK, Smith, Andersson and Kindl taking another step forward.

RedWingsNow*

As of right now
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Franzen
Alfredsson
Weiss
Andersson
Nyquist
Tatar
Bertuzzi
Samuelsson
Helm
Abdelkader
Eaves
Miller
Tootoo
Emmerton

We have 16 on the roster.
3 have to go.

If they sign Morrow, make it 17 and 4

Expect a deal or 2 and Emmerton on Waivers

RedWingsNow*

Weiss is an improvement over Filppula. Alfie is only a one year deal. Cleary is gone. I think they did very well. Now to trim the fat.

Say it as much as you want, but Flip is equal or better than Weiss.
And Weiss isn't as good as Grabovski, in terms of being a good fit.

And Alfie was outproduced by Brunner last year -- and we can expect Brunner to get better and Alfie top get worse.

RedWingsNow*

Ok -- the bet is on --

Who produces more, Flip in Tampa or Weiss in Detroit?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Say it as much as you want, but Flip is equal or better than Weiss.

I dunno.

Flip has as good or better ES numbers but has had more talent around him. And better coach.

Weiss is better at C imo.

And Weiss isn't as good as Grabovski, in terms of being a good fit.

It depends.

And Alfie was outproduced by Brunner last year -- and we can expect Brunner to get better and Alfie top get worse.

It's not all about points.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Franzén - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Helm - Morrow
Tootoo - Andersson - Abby

RedWingsNow*

I dunno.

Flip has as good or better ES numbers but has had more talent around him. And better coach.

Weiss is better at C imo.

It depends.

It's not all about points.

No, it's about 58 giveaways to 50 takeaways? Or a hit ever other game?

It's about a former sniper who doesn't snipe.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The big winner should be our power play. With Smith and Kindl getting more experience, plus adding Alfredsson, we should see some good numbers. Would we see Weiss on the power play or penalty kill?

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Flip may play better than Weiss but Weiss is better center. I think we wanted a solid 2nd line center.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The big winner should be our power play. With Smith and Kindl getting more experience, plus adding Alfredsson, we should see some good numbers. Would we see Weiss on the power play or penalty kill?

Both, that's why I can't understand people complaining about the deal. He's a legit 2C who can put up 60 points centering his own line and contribute in all phases of the game. This is a great signing and I am one who has more or less ripped Holland non-stop since he traded for Kyle Quincey.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
"Well, obviously we plug Weiss and Alfie in on the 4th line. This allows us to keep Kaeder up top and then some combination of Franzen, Bertuzzi and Sammy on the wings. Man, I wish Kenny had resigned Danny Cleary. That boy is realgud, got a lotta heart" - Mike Babcock's diary.

;)

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
I was pretty happy about the Alfredsson signing, I've seen countless Sens games over the years and was raised in Ottawa so it's nice to see him leave there and join us in Detroit. It will immediately reignite the Wings n Leafs rivalry quickly as Leafs fans respect but despise Alfie.

I was happy at that point and told myself if they could land Weiss as well, we'd be even more set. The season will ultimately come back to how much our defensive unit improves but both additions should provide fairly useful and help alleviate any needs to top heavy scoring. It allows more skilled players to lessen the load on Datsyuk and Z, too, which I like.

But of a logjam but I expect Tootoo to be dealt with or waived and I believe it's all but assumed that Emmerton, despite growing a bit, does not have a place with this team long-term. Hoping for a healthy Helm to return soon enough as well and I'm already counting down the days til season starts.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
"Well, obviously we plug Weiss and Alfie in on the 4th line. This allows us to keep Kaeder up top and then some combination of Franzen, Bertuzzi and Sammy on the wings. Man, I wish Kenny had resigned Danny Cleary. That boy is realgud, got a lotta heart" - Mike Babcock's diary.

;)
:laugh::laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Both, that's why I can't understand people complaining about the deal. He's a legit 2C who can put up 60 points centering his own line and contribute in all phases of the game. This is a great signing and I am one who has more or less ripped Holland non-stop since he traded for Kyle Quincey.

I don't think he gets 60 points with Wings.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
2 of Emmerton, Eaves, Sammy and Tootoo are gone.

I'm fine with Sammy gone, Emmerton gone if Helm is back. Tootoo as well, even though I like his game. Eaves just because we've seen his scoring touch and he's got a RH shot. If he can find that game again, Miller-Andersson(or even Helm)-Eaves is going to be a tough fourth line. Strong defensively and all of them chip in with offense occasionally.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
2 of Emmerton, Eaves, Sammy and Tootoo are gone.

I think Emmerton and Tootoo. Center depth was an issue with Helm out. But you have Andersson, Helm, Abdelkader and then Sheahan, Jarnkrok, etc in GR. Emmerton is expendable.

I would prefer Emmerton, Sammy and Bert. But that's never happening. Sammy has the wings by the balls and Bert played the "heart-broken" card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad