Your 18/19 Hot Take

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Question. Are you a Leaf fan? And if so, how on earth can you say this? The JVR/Bozak combo was a black hole defensively that is now going to not exist. The players are a year older and getting better. They were 2 GA behind second fewest in the conference even as constructed.

Question. Are you a Leaf fan, or a faux fan who is a little short on reasoning skills?

Defensive issues = overstated.

Although it's not to say a top-4 RHD wouldn't upgrade our team, because it definitely would. It's just that in the salary cap era, nobody builds perfect machines top-to-bottom.

Relative to the rest of the East, our defensive play is at the upper end of the pack. Defense is a 5-man game, and isolating defensive effectiveness strictly to the defensemen is not logical. Centers can be just important in the defensive game-plan and we are extremely strong there. Not to mention, our top-3 C's all have great puck-control and possession down-low, thus making our overall possession game incredibly good.

Reactions: kb

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Watch game 1 and 2 of Boston series. We need defence who can handle the forecheck. That means taking the hit along the boards, keeping puck in your feet and using your centre to help in retrievals to get puck out of defensive end. Rielly and Gards got physically outmatched constantly. Rielly at least took the hits like a man but he still went down on his *ss far too often (just watch the games it is so easy to see). Gards just bailed on the hits, and with Bruins 5 man half ice game, he threw it up boards to a winger who got smoked because of suicide passes. The Bruins got the puck and started cycle and we could not get it back. This is what occurred. There is no denying it again just watch and see it for yourself. It was very painful i know i was at both games in Boston. It will happen again next year with no defence personnel changes. At least holl is very good at taking the blows due to his size and he is not scared. He knows how to execute a simple defensive zone exit. Quite frankly it does not matter who your wingers are the play never comes out of your end. Watch the Tampa series and see how Tampa's dmen take the forecheck hit and then watch the centres help with breakout. It completely screws up the Bruins because they can't control the puck for their cycle. There is nothing a coach can do to deal with this issue that i know of except work with GM to insert dmen into lineup who can make that very simple play. It is the KEY to beating da Bruins and right now we dont have the dmen to deal with it. We MAY outscore them but with playoff hockey time and space on the puck is reduced significantly and it is much more difficult to generate offence.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Watch game 1 and 2 of Boston series. We need defence who can handle the forecheck. That means taking the hit along the boards, keeping puck in your feet and using your centre to help in retrievals to get puck out of defensive end. Rielly and Gards got physically outmatched constantly. Rielly at least took the hits like a man but he still went down on his *ss far too often (just watch the games it is so easy to see). Gards just bailed on the hits, and with Bruins 5 man half ice game, he threw it up boards to a winger who got smoked because of suicide passes. The Bruins got the puck and started cycle and we could not get it back. This is what occurred. There is no denying it again just watch and see it for yourself. It was very painful i know i was at both games in Boston. It will happen again next year with no defence personnel changes. At least holl is very good at taking the blows due to his size and he is not scared. He knows how to execute a simple defensive zone exit. Quite frankly it does not matter who your wingers are the play never comes out of your end. Watch the Tampa series and see how Tampa's dmen take the forecheck hit and then watch the centres help with breakout. It completely screws up the Bruins because they can't control the puck for their cycle. There is nothing a coach can do to deal with this issue that i know of except work with GM to insert dmen into lineup who can make that very simple play. It is the KEY to beating da Bruins and right now we dont have the dmen to deal with it. We MAY outscore them but with playoff hockey time and space on the puck is reduced significantly and it is much more difficult to generate offence.
No, no, no, you don't understand. Gardiner chasing guys all over the d zone trying to stick check them is the way to play it!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Igor Ozhiganov is Morgan Rielly’s partner down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad