Your 18/19 Hot Take

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
My hot take: Dubas is pretty amazing and managed to sell Tavares on coming to Toronto. I think that he is having a harder time convincing the big three. When it comes to those contracts, Dubas has repeatedly preached patience. He has repeatedly stated that he wants them - Nylander, Marner, Matthews - to know what they are getting into before signing a long-term deal. To understand the vision for the team. I think he has had to do so because some (if not all) of the big three were left with a pretty bitter taste in their mouths after two years full-time under Lou and Babcock. It is easier to sell the idea of coming to a team with a decent chance of winning a cup to a player in his late 20s or 30s who has not had playoff success. It is much harder to sell the idea of winning a cup to a young player who feels they have 15+ seasons ahead of them. It is harder to sell your great vision for the future to a group of kids who feel like they have under-played, kept on the bench during important situations that every other young star gets to play in, held back etc, by the coach. Babcock and Lou's love of Komarov and other low skilled veterans have cost this team - not just in the on-ice product last year, but likely in the possibility of more affordable contracts with MMN.

I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: IPS

Tavares Is A Leaf

Sep 6, 2018
HFBoards has a nuclear level meltdown when we lift the Cup next June.

Well that isn't too much of a hot take is it? The main boards would melt down no matter what we do.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The two Andreas impress.

Andreas Johnsson throws up 50 points.

Andreas Borgman throws up 25 points and people realize he will eventually be a top 4 dman.

Reactions: The Rat King

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm asking what changed to make them worse than last year.

They were 11th best in GA last year, and you said they will be no better than 15th, so there must be some reason you think they are worse.

You make it sound as if this season begins where last season left off, which isn't true as there is no direct correlation between last years GA finish and actual GA allowed as this year all #'s are reset to Zeros for all teams and we begin again. So we don't start at 11th we start from scratch.

Second the Leafs last year did finish 11th with 232 GA, however 12th Minny (232), 13th TB (236), 14th Colorado (237), had the Leafs given up a mere +5 more GA /82 games they would have finished middle of the pack. So its not like that 11th position was secure by any means and its some outrageous claim they could fishing lower this year.

Last year TB finished behind the Leafs, but this year with a full year of McDonough instead of just the TD on should significantly improve their Dcore along with Norris Dman Hedman, Stralman and 2nd year man Sergatchev. So its not just about the Leafs but what the other 30 teams did that can/will produce different results from last year.

No goalie in the NHL faced more shots against and was forced to make more saves last year than Freddy Andersen and Leafs finished 4th worst in Shots against / game and gave up bottom 3 most shots oveall. That is signs of a weak defense core and poor defensive team game,with Leafs trapped in their own zone and Freddy a sitting duck in a shooting gallery nightly.

Leafs are built to outscore their mistakes just like last year where they attempt to win 6-5 and 5-4 that results in lots of goals for, but also lost of goals against when your offensive players focus on scoring and not defending. The inclination to push the offense at the expense of defense will be even greater now with JT joining the team and the attack. With fans predicting all these top scoring players on the Leafs that doesn't sound like the focus will be on team defense, but rather playing in the Ozone and not Dzone.

Last edited:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I sure hope not
I think it may be the middle of 3 evils.

Since Mo signed his deal, I've thought Jake was on his last contract with the Leafs. I actually expected he would be traded this summer.

So I think there are 3 options:

1) Sign him. Probably means we have to deal someone we don't want to.
2) Trade him in season (assuming he's not traded before hand).
3) Let him walk.

Option 2 is the best one if you ask me. Let Dermott get a half season or so under his belt then move him up to the 2nd pairing. Hopefully you can pick up a decent guy on the right side in the deal to provide a bit of adult supervision.

Option 1 is the worst because I think he will want the kinda money that will hurt us. May mean we have to move Kadri. (Marleau probably has to go after this season regardless). So it may come down to Kadri for a return or pay someone to take Horton. So with Jake, Marleau and one of Horton or Kadri goes.

Option 3 sees Jake on the team until next summer and it keeps Dermott on the 3rd pair for the duration of the season. He then takes Gards spot. One of Rosen or Borgman is LD3.

People have to get used to using players then letting them walk. That's what good teams have to do in a salary cap world.
Another ROT for salary caps is it's better to walk away from a player a bit early than a bit later. Depending on circumstances of course.

Reactions: dsred

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I think it may be the middle of 3 evils.

Since Mo signed his deal, I've thought Jake was on his last contract with the Leafs. I actually expected he would be traded this summer.

So I think there are 3 options:

1) Sign him. Probably means we have to deal someone we don't want to.
2) Trade him in season (assuming he's not traded before hand).
3) Let him walk.

Option 2 is the best one if you ask me. Let Dermott get a half season or so under his belt then move him up to the 2nd pairing. Hopefully you can pick up a decent guy on the right side in the deal to provide a bit of adult supervision.

Option 1 is the worst because I think he will want the kinda money that will hurt us. May mean we have to move Kadri. (Marleau probably has to go after this season regardless). So it may come down to Kadri for a return or pay someone to take Horton. So with Jake, Marleau and one of Horton or Kadri goes.

Option 3 sees Jake on the team until next summer and it keeps Dermott on the 3rd pair for the duration of the season. He then takes Gards spot. One of Rosen or Borgman is LD3.

People have to get used to using players then letting them walk. That's what good teams have to do in a salary cap world.
Another ROT for salary caps is it's better to walk away from a player a bit early than a bit later. Depending on circumstances of course.
Good post.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Flapjack
Johnnycake
Pancake
Blanket
Syrup saucer
Round cakes
Griddle cakes
Flour rounds

Oh! Sorry. I read the thread title incorrectly.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You make it sound as if this season begins where last season left off, which isn't true as there is no direct correlation between last years GA finish and actual GA allowed as this year all #'s are reset to Zeros for all teams and we begin again. So we don't start at 11th we start from scratch.

Second the Leafs last year did finish 11th with 232 GA, however 12th Minny (232), 13th TB (236), 14th Colorado (237), had the Leafs given up a mere +5 more GA /82 games they would have finished middle of the pack. So its not like that 11th position was secure by any means and its some outrageous claim they could fishing lower this year.

Last year TB finished behind the Leafs, but this year with a full year of McDonough instead of just the TD on should significantly improve their Dcore along with Norris Dman Hedman, Stralman and 2nd year man Sergatchev. So its not just about the Leafs but what the other 30 teams did that can/will produce different results from last year.

No goalie in the NHL faced more shots against and was forced to make more saves last year than Freddy Andersen and Leafs finished 4th worst in Shots against / game and gave up bottom 3 most shots oveall. That is signs of a weak defense core and poor defensive team game,with Leafs trapped in their own zone and Freddy a sitting duck in a shooting gallery nightly.

Leafs are built to outscore their mistakes just like last year where they attempt to win 6-5 and 5-4 that results in lots of goals for, but also lost of goals against when your offensive players focus on scoring and not defending. The inclination to push the offense at the expense of defense will be even greater now with JT joining the team and the attack. With fans predicting all these top scoring players on the Leafs that doesn't sound like the focus will be on team defense, but rather playing in the Ozone and not Dzone.
Question. Are you a Leaf fan? And if so, how on earth can you say this? The JVR/Bozak combo was a black hole defensively that is now going to not exist. The players are a year older and getting better. They were 2 GA behind second fewest in the conference even as constructed.

Question. Are you a Leaf fan, or a faux fan who is a little short on reasoning skills?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

If you play a lot in the Ozone and less time in the Dzone, won't that improve our goals against? You can't give up goals when you play in the other team's end most of the game.

Reactions: kb

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I don't know if this is a hot take, but there is ZERO chance the Bruins are better than us this year (barring injuries).

I keep reading people rating them the same as us and I just have to shake my head.

The series went down to the final 10 minutes of game 7 DESPITE Babcock's horrendous lineup decisions to start the series (Komarov>Andreas), Andersen's awful goaltending for 50% of the series, Kadri's bone headed suspension and Matthews/Willies disappearances. In WHAT WORLD does us adding a TOP 10 C on top of all of this not provide us a massive edge over Boston?

Again, there is NO chance Boston finishes ahead of us, we are battling it out with Tampa who I expect to be a great matchup and one that can actually be discussed as to who is better.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

So you can't go by last year if it makes things look positive in any way for the Leafs, but if it doesn't you can talk about last year as much as you want?

got it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Question. Are you a Leaf fan? And if so, how on earth can you say this? The JVR/Bozak combo was a black hole defensively that is now going to not exist. The players are a year older and getting better. They were 2 GA behind second fewest in the conference even as constructed.

Question. Are you a Leaf fan, or a faux fan who is a little short on reasoning skills?

Paint me skeptical if you like :wg:, but when I see 38 year old Ron Hainsey playing his weak side, and on the Leafs top pairing lining up against the opposition best, and getting the 2nd most ATOI/g (22 minutes) behind only Jake Gardiner that suggest to me this is a Dcore with some serious work to do, and not one seen as a top 10 in least goals against. IMO

Hainsey should be slotted in on the 3rd pairing, not the 1st on a strong defensemen group on a contending team.

Do you see Hainsey as a top pairing NHL dman, and that everything is fine, nothing to see here, move along ?

Ps. I'm a diehard Leafs fan since the 1960's, but not one that simply accepts things as everything is great regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you play a lot in the Ozone and less time in the Dzone, won't that improve our goals against? You can't give up goals when you play in the other team's end most of the game.

Agreed, Leafs are built to defend best via puck possession on offense, as their actual player personnel on D and their defensive zone play is weak.

Hopefully the addition of JT means more Ozone and less Dzone time this season (which it should), but that supports my position of Leafs are trying to outscore their mistakes and win games 6-5 & 5-4. The focus will be on offense and the defense will suffer as a result thus the prediction of top offense and middle of the pact defense based on actual GF and GA as the measure.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Agreed, Leafs are built to defend best via puck possession on offense, as their actual player personnel on D and their defensive zone play is weak.

Hopefully the addition of JT means more Ozone and less Dzone time this season (which it should), but that supports my position of Leafs are trying to outscore their mistakes and win games 6-5 & 5-4. The focus will be on offense and the defense will suffer as a result thus the prediction of top offense and middle of the pact defense based on actual GF and GA as the measure.

The players we lost were awful at exiting the zone once they were win the defensive zone. Our plan is to transition the puck from defense to offense as fast and as cleanly as possible. The addition of Tavares should help our overall defense imo.

Reactions: kb

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
We are really really close now to the Cup. In my opinion Dubie still has work to get us a couple rock solid no screw up dmen who can withstand the Boston forecheck. Tampa had those guys and it neutralized the Bruins. Up front both Tampa and Leafs kill Boston 8 times out of ten. Everyone has to look in the mirror and realize that if we finish 2nd to Tampa (lets hope not though boys) that we are facing da big bad Bruins again. I said it last year and no one believed me but there was no way we were going to withstand that forecheck. If the defence remains the same the same result will likely occur. Our best hope right now is we finish ahead of Tampa and let Tampa knock out da Bruins. Then a series against Tampa is a 50/50 bet. I like JT to win us that matchup as i think we can outscore them. Then a matchup against Pens where i think we are a slight dog.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

They didn't do that in games last year, so why would they this year with better personnel? Better defensive forwards, a year more maturity from the young core F and D, and they were 3rd best GA in the East last year with an up and down year from Andersen.

Again...…...gotta question your reasoning skills. The D wasn't the real issue. It was the forwards inability to exit the zone. The got an elite zone exit guy to replace 3 black holes (JVR/Bozak/Komarov), so the D tiring out because they are hemmed in by the 3rd and 4th line shouldn't happen anywhere near as frequently. Couple that with an improved possession and cycle game. Which WILL lead to better GA numbers.

Not rocket science here....

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The players we lost were awful at exiting the zone once they were win the defensive zone. Our plan is to transition the puck from defense to offense as fast and as cleanly as possible. The addition of Tavares should help our overall defense imo.

Exactly. He was the best help for the D they could have possibly made in the off-season. You add a Carlson but keep the same F personnel, and the same issues as last year will happen.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

And had they given up 5 less, they would have been top 8. So what is your point, really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad