Post-Game Talk: You wanna know how I got these scars?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yep. Idk if you know who Jeff Moss is (a guy who is somehow connected to the Detroit sports scene and breaks legit stories long before the the news often have them but no one ever gives him any credit) but on twitter he said he has heard from sources close to the Red Wings that the players can't stand Babcock.

Yeah, remember when Andy Strickland said that Lidstrom was holding a protest for Babcock to get fired in 2008? :laugh:

Players don't like their coach, big ****ing deal.

As for Hudler and Filppula? Good for them, they didn't fit in with what Babcock was trying to do. Holland tried to re-sign them, they decided to leave, their choice. Who knows where Nyquist and Tatar would be in terms of development if both were still here.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yep. Idk if you know who Jeff Moss is (a guy who is somehow connected to the Detroit sports scene and breaks legit stories long before the the news often have them but no one ever gives him any credit) but on twitter he said he has heard from sources close to the Red Wings that the players can't stand Babcock.

And before him the players hated Bowman. The players in LA seem to hate Suter. Successful coaches are rarely popular, they force players to make sacrifices they don't want to make, in order to win.

As for this thread, the amount of Wings fans who are disapointed we won.........shameful. :shakehead

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
As for this thread, the amount of Wings fans who are disapointed we won.........shameful. :shakehead

Can you point out just one person? I've read the whole thread and I can't recall anyone being disappointed.

I think this may be another instance of stuff being imagined out of thin air.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
And before him the players hated Bowman. The players in LA seem to hate Suter. Successful coaches are rarely popular, they force players to make sacrifices they don't want to make, in order to win.

Yeah, and when you're consistently winning Stanley Cups makign playoff runs (ala Bowman or Sutter) it's all good...and much easier to deal with a coach you hate. The sacrifices you don't want to make (as you put it) are worth the end result (championship contention, deep playoff runs) But when you are barely making the playoffs every season and when you do you are basically one and done (like the current version of the Red Wings) dealing with a coach you absolutely hate probably isn't worth it anymore.

I think Babcock's personality combined with the Red Wings not being great anymore is part of the reason they haven't been able to get the free agents they have wanted in recent years. Players don't enjoy playing for Babcock and that stuff gets around the league I would imagine. And when the team isn't really winning anything....well to put it frankly, what kind of player wants to sacrifice and play for a coach they hate for a first round playoff exit?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Can you point out just one person? I've read the whole thread and I can't recall anyone being disappointed.

I think this may be another instance of stuff being imagined out of thin air.

Has anyone said the exact words "I'm disappointed the Wings won"? No.

But the tone from numerous posters is clearly that Detroit winning was the wrong result. I'm convinced there are people on here who would rather we lose so they can be proved right in their on going "sky-is-falling" narrative.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Sorry if my post was misleading. I consider Babcock the best in business. Sometimes I strongly disagree with him, but I always think that he knows like 1000000000 times more than me;)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Really wish we still had Happy... What did he have? 76 points this year?

No way he's the player in Detroit that he is in Calgary now. Him getting the responsibility in Calgary gave him an opportunity to grow. He wasn't growing in Detroit.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
come on , he is not a fighter just someone who played hard on the edge. He is very important for this team to use him as a fighter . We have Ericson who suppose to clear aria in front of net . Unfortunately Ericson playas every other game

He is not a tough guy type of player by any stretch but he is willing to battle and "play hard on the puck" like Babs loves to say. He immediately went after Paq and hug of loved him onto the ground to send a message.

If they continue to run him, he has enough audacity to take runs at Hedman or Bishop on the forecheck and make life not so nice for them. Also due to them trading Gudas + picks for ****** flyer d man the only player they have who could work him over is Boyle and I don't really see Tampa willingly putting there 4th line out there against Z's line and it working too well for them.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It is a very small sample size, but maybe Smith's fits better for the playoffs than regular season.

Smith doesnt like Tampa I dont think. Got really nasty last night and I would love to see him get ahold of Paquette again. Abdelkader went after him but last game they played SMith dropped the gloves and gave him a decent pounding while Paquette turtled. Paquette is a fake tough guy

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
So... Bishop isn't very good, Stamkos is being benched on the PP and with the net pulled. Not saying the Wings have this wrapped up, but are we really that huge of underdogs still?

Stamkos hasn't been doing much that's for sure. But he wasn't benched on the PP. Mickey and Ken both said he was missing from a PP early in the game, but we backed up the DVR and there was #91. He had played 5 + mins. of PP time more than any other bolt.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Smith doesnt like Tampa I dont think. Got really nasty last night and I would love to see him get ahold of Paquette again. Abdelkader went after him but last game they played SMith dropped the gloves and gave him a decent pounding while Paquette turtled. Paquette is a fake tough guy

Tampa has a lot of fake tough guys but nobody that's actually tough. Even Boyle, he's like Ericsson. Big dude that only seems to get rough when the other guy is 5'11.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Tampa has a lot of fake tough guys but nobody that's actually tough. Even Boyle, he's like Ericsson. Big dude that only seems to get rough when the other guy is 5'11.

Big Rig threw down with Jamie Benn and Landeskog this year. Neither are small potatoes. When he does throw down he doesn't go looking for small guys they are generally 6'2" 210lbs +. He isn't a NHL heavyweight but when he does drop them he goes at people that aren't shrimp.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Ericsson is a very good fighter and far from a spot picker, name the fighter he has lost to? He is going to have reach on almost anybody regardless, so there would be a new spin if he did take on Boyle, but I think he would win that decisively.

I have a buddy that was an AHL enforcer back around the same time Ericsson played in the AHL. I was excited about what he would become and we used to talk a lot of hockey, buddy promises me he is going to get him to go when they head to GR, remember being kind of worried. Milwaukee's games used to be showed on the local CW at times. Both road GR games on the weekends were. Night one he absolutely dusts Aaron Downey, while not a world beater a guy that made a living with his fists at the NHL level, somebody with massive respect in the fighting community. Next night he gets to going at the net front and sure enough he is trading stick work with Ericsson. They drop them, Ericsson uses his reach perfectly and feeds him. Guy walks into the bar I used to work at on Sunday night after the bus gets back two black eyes, shrugs his shoulders and says "that big Swede throws ******* bombs, worst fight of my career."

Fought him again later in the year in a square off deal where they actually both got double roughing penalties as they squared off during a brawl situation. Ericsson again crushed him. He told me upon retiring it was still the most difficult fight he has had, that he just had nothing for him and so deceptively strong with that long jab. We are talking about a guy that has fought John Scott, Aaron Downey, Prust, Mike Brown.

Ericsson doesn't go often, but he is very good at it. In my opinion if he choose to go 7 or 8 times a year he would be one of the more feared guys out there, he handles himself like a champ once the gloves actually drop more often than not. I cannot remember him losing I am sure he has, but there isn't a guy on Tampa that I think has anything for him.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Ericsson is a very good fighter and far from a spot picker, name the fighter he has lost to? He is going to have reach on almost anybody regardless, so there would be a new spin if he did take on Boyle, but I think he would win that decisively.

I have a buddy that was an AHL enforcer back around the same time Ericsson played in the AHL. I was excited about what he would become and we used to talk a lot of hockey, buddy promises me he is going to get him to go when they head to GR, remember being kind of worried. Milwaukee's games used to be showed on the local CW at times. Both road GR games on the weekends were. Night one he absolutely dusts Aaron Downey, while not a world beater a guy that made a living with his fists at the NHL level, somebody with massive respect in the fighting community. Next night he gets to going at the net front and sure enough he is trading stick work with Ericsson. They drop them, Ericsson uses his reach perfectly and feeds him. Guy walks into the bar I used to work at on Sunday night after the bus gets back two black eyes, shrugs his shoulders and says "that big Swede throws ******* bombs, worst fight of my career."

Fought him again later in the year in a square off deal where they actually both got double roughing penalties as they squared off during a brawl situation. Ericsson again crushed him. He told me upon retiring it was still the most difficult fight he has had, that he just had nothing for him and so deceptively strong with that long jab. We are talking about a guy that has fought John Scott, Aaron Downey, Prust, Mike Brown.

Ericsson doesn't go often, but he is very good at it. In my opinion if he choose to go 7 or 8 times a year he would be one of the more feared guys out there, he handles himself like a champ once the gloves actually drop more often than not. I cannot remember him losing I am sure he has, but there isn't a guy on Tampa that I think has anything for him.

That’s a great story, thanks for sharing! My favorite Ericsson fight was his rookie season, I think, when Corey Perry was being himself and pushed Ericsson in a scrum not thinking he would do anything. Then all of a sudden they drop them and Ericsson handled him pretty well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Has anyone said the exact words "I'm disappointed the Wings won"? No.

But the tone from numerous posters is clearly that Detroit winning was the wrong result. I'm convinced there are people on here who would rather we lose so they can be proved right in their on going "sky-is-falling" narrative.

You know there's a world of difference between the two right? The Wings had no business winning game 1 but they did. Saying that doesn't mean I'm disappointed the Wings won. I'm glad they won. I can still recognize that they got massively outplayed and dominated by the Bolts.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
That’s a great story, thanks for sharing! My favorite Ericsson fight was his rookie season, I think, when Corey Perry was being himself and pushed Ericsson in a scrum not thinking he would do anything. Then all of a sudden they drop them and Ericsson handled him pretty well.

That shouldn't really be shocking. Perry is obviously more bark than bite. Even Datsyuk held his own against him with the gloves off.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad