Post-Game Talk: You gotta love it

Johnz96*

Nyquist 18:25

Glendening and Miller are part of his shutdown line; the amount of TOI they get shouldn't be a surprise by now. It worked.

The Bruins dominated the whole game other than when the Kid Line was out who dominated the Bruins every time they were out.
Howard and the Kid line saved the game

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nyquist 18:25

Glendening and Miller are part of his shutdown line; the amount of TOI they get shouldn't be a surprise by now. It worked.

Yeah, they use defensive guys to protect the lead and when we where trailing the kid line got more ice-time.

Just normal line usage in hockey. People should learn the game and not whine.

We got 2 points thanks to this Babcock's brilliant usage.

Last edited:

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Can the Joe just play My Hero by the Foo Fighters every time Nyquist gets on the ice.

Howard bailed Detroit out. That's all you can ask of your goalie, give your team a chance to win. Howard did that and more for Detroit.

Tatar had a sick assist to Jurco, who got to redeem himself after that dumb boarding penalty.

Can't take a game off against Buffalo at home. You lose that game and it's almost like this game doesn't matter. Need to keep rolling

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The Bruins dominated the whole game other than when the Kid Line was out who dominated the Bruins every time they were out.
Howard and the Kid line saved the game

You're also not taking into account that Glendening and Miller are penalty killers - Miller ended up with 4:17 of PK time and Glendening with 4:41. The kids don't kill penalties, but they do play on the powerplay. Likewise, Glendening and Miller don't play on the powerplay.

NHL.com has the TOI breakdown which explains it further.

Johnz96*

Yeah, they use defensive guys to protect the lead and when we where trailing the kid line got more ice-time.

Just normal line usage in hockey. People should learn the game and not whine.

The Wings were trailing for 18:31, they were leading for 7:12

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'd rather have tatar line go against other teams third line. they have betetr chance at outscoring them than than glendening line. and glendening line has bettert chance shutting down the bergeron line than tatar line. i like tatar line's odds better against that soderberg line than bergeron line... and that's how babs used them, mostly.

sheahan, jurco and tatar had more 5on5 time than glendening anyway. the difference in total toi came from EN situations and pk ice time.

Johnz96*

i'd rather have tatar line go against other teams third line. they have betetr chance at outscoring them than than glendening line. and glendening line has bettert chance shutting down the bergeron line than tatar line. i like tatar line's odds better against that soderberg line than bergeron line... and that's how babs used them, mostly.

sheahan, jurco and tatar had more 5on5 time than glendening anyway. the difference in total toi came from EN situations and pk ice time.

That's not true

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Awkward having beaten the best team in the league and people are still complaining about Babcocks use of Glendenning. I'm actually completely surprised people arent abusing Howard regardless of how he played.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
For some reason I think Nyquist is benefiting playing Legwand and Franzen. I know this is a stretch but I think Nyquist excels in picking up their slack.

Also, I realize it's a celebration but did you see how ****ing happy Franzen was when Gus scored? He looked like his son just won a peewee championship.

Like I said... it's a stretch.
I noticed both Nyquist and specially Tatar like to have the puck. Maybe Legwand and Franzen like Nyquist to carry the puck and the play. Nyquist is definitely go to guy on that line and the team. I also think Franzen enjoys Nyquist's success. I think both the fans and the players know that Nyquist is the reason we Are winning games. He is the hottest player in the league.
The Kid Line saves the day in spite Babcock's reluctance to allow them to do so.

TOI:
Tatar 13:26
Sheahan 13:08
Jurco 13:00
Miller 19:09
Glendening 17:26

As long as wE Are winning, fine. This team is overacheiving and then it is hard to complain about the coaching. The kids got a chance once vs the flyers and got eaten alive. I think Babcock gets the most out of this lineup.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ideally the Kid line is a third line anyway. The only reason they are playing 2nd line is because we have basically a first line out injured with Z/D.

Perhaps in a couple years they'll be ready for those matchups, but for now, it's fine to see them used this way. Sheahan was out there instead of Legwand for a crucial late game faceoff though. I found that quite interesting. He's turning into quite the top6 center. Very excited to see what he'll mature into in a few years.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
As long as wE Are winning, fine. This team is overacheiving and then it is hard to complain about the coaching. The kids got a chance once vs the flyers and got eaten alive. I think Babcock gets the most out of this lineup.

Exactly, Babcock is maximizing their effectiveness while not putting them in positions to fail.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Exactly, Babcock is maximizing their effectiveness while not putting them in positions to fail.

Exactly. Throwing them into too much isn't exactly a recipe for success, and while we're fighting for a playoff spot I'd rather not see them killing penalties. Keep them fresh and let them do what we need them to do - score. That's not what we expect of Glendening's line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Yep.

I've been a vocal Babcock critic for things like "ties go to the vets," his refusal to try Smith on the PP, and other stuff like that.

But his use of the kids and our shutdown line is effective and it's working. Against good teams. I'm not sure you can ask for more. The Kid line is getting good minutes, most of the extra time the Glendening line is getting is on the PK anyway. I don't see a problem.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I'm embarrassed by any Bruins fan that harps on the non-goal call. Yes, it was a terrible call, but it was an insignificant factor in the outcome. Boychuk & Co. obviously shrugged it off immediately, so we should as well.

The Wings won this game with skill, will, and timely saves. The B's didn't bury their chances. End of story.

Good luck until we meet again!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm embarrassed by any Bruins fan that harps on the non-goal call. Yes, it was a terrible call, but it was an insignificant factor in the outcome. Boychuk & Co. obviously shrugged it off immediately, so we should as well.

Yeah, that was a non-factor for the final result. 1st goal happens, so the 2nd one never happens...

How stupid they can be? Maybe every team has those ones that won't understand the big picture. :shakehead

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

The Wings won this game with skill, will, and timely saves. The B's didn't bury their chances. End of story.

Good luck until we meet again!

Thanks for seeing the bigger picture there, mate. Pathetic guys which always have to search for an excuse and just can't admit not having been clever enough to bury the chances. I'm afraid that every team has those...

Anyways, likewise. Hope meeting again won't be in the first round. ;)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Taking everything into consideration this team is overacheiving 10-20 points, IMO.
Exactly. Throwing them into too much isn't exactly a recipe for success,and while we're fighting for a playoff spot I'd rather not see them killing penalties. Keep them fresh and let them do what we need them to do - score. That's not what we expect of Glendening's line.

And it might actually be a recipe for failure.

Nyquist is a 4th rounder, now he seems like the best player in the league (last 2 months). Who would have thought/predicted so?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
From pre game:

I almost feel like putting the Glendening unit against the Bergeron unit might be the best bet. The Bergeron unit doesn't get scored on much (although none of their top 3 lines do), so you might as well throw our unit that doesn't score out there against them and hope they can simply play even.

Let our top line to head to head against the Krejci unit, Helm go against Soderberg, and the Kid line go against their 4th line and in offensive zone situations.

If this is a close game, some people might be upset with the minutes the the Kid line gets. We'll see though.

Haha. We'll see alright.

Johnz96*

Putting to end the notion that Tomas Tatar needs to be protected and should only play against weak caliber players.
Here's the opposition forwards on the ice for Tatar's even-strength points since the Olympic break.

Vs Boston - Bergeron, Eriksson, Kelly
Vs Boston - Bergeron, Smith, Marchand
Vs Monteal - Gallagher, Plekanek, Galchenyuk
Vs Monteal - Gallagher, Plekanek, Galchenyuk
vs Columbus - Horton Johansen Jenner
vs Columbus - Horton Johansen, Jenner
vs Minnesota - Fontaine, Heatley, Haula (Ryan Suter)
vs Minnesota - Parise, Pominville, Haula (Ryan Suter)
vs Pittsburgh -- Jokinen, Malkin
vs Edmonton -- Hall, Perron, Lander
vs Ottawa -- Turris, Macarthur, Condra
vs Ottawa -- Michalek, Smith, Spezza

In those 18 games,
6 goals, 6 assists, 12 points.

He's picking nearly all of his points against good claiber players. Only one of those lines would count as the fourth line. Several are first and second liners.

Guy is playing 10-14 minutes too many nights.
He can be a difference maker against top competition..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad