You are offered your first NHL GM job; which team?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Elias Pettersson seems like a good start at C. He has a high ceiling

This coming from a Canucks fan:

1. Petterson is not even in the NHL yet. Eichel is a 1C right now. It's not close.

2. We're not even sure if Petterson is a center. He's played the majority of his time in the SHL as a winger.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't have any experience managing a hockey team, let alone a big-money business like an NHL team, so I'm assuming I would be absolutely terrible at it.

So I'll pick the Red Wings, just so I can totally wreck them.

RightInTheAho

Dec 12, 2017
Edmonton Oilers.

First blockbuster trade McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nuge, Nurse, Puljujaarvi and 5 1st round picks to Vancouver for Loui Eriksson, Sam Gagner, Jussi Jokinen, Markstrom Del Zotto and a 5th.

Then I'd retire.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Buffalo. Solid fanbase, has some good pieces and prospects in the system but most importantly doesnt have a joke owning them or external influences like Ottawa or Montreal. Detroit would probably be number 2
Buffalo also a pretty cool town. Aside from the Love Canal.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
1. Buffalo
2. Arizona
3. Vancouver
4. NYI
5. Montreal
6. Detroit
7. Ottawa

I really wouldn't want to work for the bottom three of these options as it's hard to see light in the end of the tunnel for any of those organizations. Montreal & Detroit because of their current situation roster and prospect wise. Ottawa, well Melnyk.

Any organization? 1. Avs, 2. Canes, 3. Philly.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Are you taking your current skill set to the job? If so then I'd imagine that 95%+ of the people here would absolutely suck at it. Given that presumption...

1) You'd want the job in a place where nobody cares about hockey/media attention is elsewhere as you may last a year or two there (compared to two weeks in any Canadian/O6/northern US city)

Given 1), you're probably looking at Arizona, Dallas or Vegas (hard work was already done there for the most part...). (or perhaps Biloxi - what, you didn't hear that that's the next step in Uncle Gary's Southern Expansion plan...sigh)

2) The NHL being an Old Boys Club for the most part, kiss a lot of ass at any of the GM meetings, make trades wildly in favor of the other team, etc. Perhaps one of those GM's will stick up for you when you're inevitably fired from your original team.

3) ... You know, this list could go on for a really long time. Let's just say that it's a really terrible idea & that whoever came up with is should have saved it for the middle of the summer - or thinking about it a bit more, whoever did come up with it's team is probably long out of the playoffs & is well into summer posting mode. The rest of us politely ask you to knock it off as there are playoffs to discuss in a couple of weeks...

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Arizona would probably be my pick. That team is a whole lot better than their place in the standings suggests. There's loads of young talent in the organization. Pretty fun possibilities. And they are a bit out of the spotlight, so you don't have the crazy pressure of some markets.

Then Buffalo, because they seem like they could make a quick turnaround. Sure makes the job easier to have Eichel and Ristolainen already on the team.

Then Detroit. The Wings and their fans have had so much success, you might have a hard time selling a rebuild. But it would be fun to be the guy that starts the process from the beginning. A true rebuild, going through your plan and process.

The others could all be disasters.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Arizona isn't a prison state. we could summer wherever we want, i'd imagine.

plus, it's a dry heat :D

Yeah, but even April and October have the chance to be disgustingly hot.

And, dry heat or not, when you need an oven mitt to open your BBQ grill that's been outside in the shade... no thanks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Probably the Islanders.

Their last couple GM's have way overstayed their welcome there. Not counting Neil Smith and his month long tenure, without being on the job for a single game played.

With the ownership change, I doubt we see another 10+ year GM tenure there, if things are going as poorly as they have been with Mike and Garth.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It may say something about my current mindset, unrelated to hockey, that I looked at that list and immediately went "well, three of these teams are in Canada, so let me go get a passport."

That said, from a purely hockey standpoint, the list would be Buffalo, Vancouver, massive dropoff, Islanders, Coyotes, Red Wings, massive dropoff, Canadiens (largely because I studied French for 5 years and retained something like 50 words and the ability to construct basic sentences in present tense only; I'm not good with languages), MASSIVE DROPOFF, Senators.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Out of those, the Islanders, so I could live at home.

I also think they have a few really nice pieces and they're workable.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Detroit just to have that chance of bringing them back up again before they fall into years of being the Dead Wings again. Prospect pool and everything seems in shambles so if I'd pull it off, it'd be without a shadow of doubt my doing and no one elses. Dream big or go home.

That said, I'd get fired in couple of weeks most likely after pissing off everyone.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Arizona because there would be no pressure to succeed, no media running after you and no attention. Just free to do your job without worrying about Pierre Mcguire trying to kiss you.

Seems the less media scrutiny the easier it would be to do your job. Why would anyone not want to take that one? Great weather, decent prospects in the system, etc.

Reactions: iSophagus

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Detroit. Obviously I’m a fan of them. I’d put all focus on the draft and basically never move a pick for a vet UFA again.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Detroit as I'm a lifelong fan.

Otherwise I think I would go for the isles. There's a lot of talent there and futures to build around.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Which team would you rather manage, all things considered (ownership stability, current players and contracts, fan base expectations, prospect and pick pipeline, etc) and why?

Detroit
Buffalo
Vancouver
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa
NYI

Edit: assume you inherit the team today, i.e. no certainty on Tavares resign or Dahlin draft. Assume your job is to build a sustainable winner.
Montreal. Most likely highest salary.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Detroit as I'm a lifelong fan.

Otherwise I think I would go for the isles. There's a lot of talent there and futures to build around.

I was thinking about the Islanders. But the OP said we don't know what will happen with Tvares when we join. Can you imagine being a new GM and the first thing that happens under your tenure is Tavares walking?

Even if he's made up his mind to leave, people will still blame the GM. And now you have to figure out a way to provide direction for a team that's consistently been a bubble team but just lost it's longtime captain and best player.

Rebuild with Barzal is probably the answer, but try selling that to a fanbase that just lost the guy whose name is on the back of most if their jerseys. Brutal job.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good question. If this were a month ago I would have said NY Isles. Since they could have traded JT to add a 3rd 1st rd pick this upcoming draft. With Barzal to build around.

Not taking ownership into account. Ottawa, who you can retool quickly with some moves, also with some good prospects in their Org already.

Montreal would be a big challenge, from that stand point and being the hockey mecca in the world. I would be enticed there. Also having 5 picks inside the first 2 rds as a GM prospects guy I am would be a good start. Those 3.

You want a challenge not a team that is already good is my thinking, The day of the 5 year rebuilds are over.

I look at NJ and how they turned their franchise around with Shero and Castron from how Lamoriello left that team barren and it would be a fun rewarding and not impossible challenge seeing this example. This is the type of situation that would attract me.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Good question. If this were a month ago I would have said NY Isles. Since they could have traded JT to add a 3rd 1st rd pick this upcoming draft. With Barzal to build around.

Not taking ownership into account. Ottawa, who you can retool quickly with some moves, also with some good prospects in their Org already.

Montreal would be a big challenge, from that stand point and being the hockey mecca in the world. I would be enticed there. Also having 5 picks inside the first 2 rds as a GM prospects guy I am would be a good start. Those 3.

You want a challenge not a team that is already good is my thinking, The day of the 5 year rebuilds are over.

I look at NJ and how they turned their franchise around with Shero and Castron from how Lamoriello left that team barren and it would be a fun and not impossible challenge seeing this example.
Leafs are always on my mind...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad