You are offered your first NHL GM job; which team?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hmmm.. Do I have to manage the team with the idea of making them successful?? What if I want to sabotage a rival team's future by dealing all picks/prospects, retaining largely on trades, and signing all the bad contracts?

:naughty:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Which team would you rather manage, all things considered (ownership stability, current players and contracts, fan base expectations, prospect and pick pipeline, etc) and why?

Detroit
Buffalo
Vancouver
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa
NYI

Edit: assume you inherit the team today, i.e. no certainty on Tavares resign or Dahlin draft. Assume your job is to build a sustainable winner.

Buffalo
Vancouver
Arizona
Detroit
Ottawa
NYI
Montreal

That's my order of appeal, prospect pipeline and current roster make up.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'll just assume that you mean POHO too in organizations that have that. Being the GM in Vancouver would mean doing the day-to-day grunt work of Trevor Linden in service to his phantasmagorical long term vision entailing the complete resurrection of the West Coast Express (also to take heat off Linden when that fails to materialize).

Which team has the least amount of overpaid, mediocre veterans?

Arizona, easily. I mean easily, sheesh, you look at Buffalo, they're paying ROR, Risto, Okposo and Eichel a combined 30 million (LOL) until the end of time (yeah, those aren't all mediocre veterans, but that limits flexibility). And Buffalo is the best case here! Isle, Clutterbuck and Ladd, Czikas, Leddy, Boychuck, Josh Baily. Josh freaking Baily, a career year riding shotgun to John Tavares. That's right, the Isle now has the wonderful option of paying through the nose to keep Tavares (the status quo, which sucks) and finally banishing the phrase "Cap flexibility" from the halls of the venerable Nasseau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, quoth the raven, forevermore; or letting their superstar center walk and driving the denizens of Long Island one step closer to Jay-Z Brand Orange drank. Loui Ericksson is making 6 million until 2023? 5.5 for Bo Horvart??? Brandon Sutter got WHAT?!? Gudbranson, well, at least if the other team brutally boards Boeser he can take a 4 minute penalty and soothe our fans' egos. Thankfully the Sedins' contracts are up this offseason so expect Sven Baertschi to get a 6 year, 35 million dollar deal. Meanwhile, in Detroit, Nielsen, Helm, Abdelkader, Zetterberg and DeKeyeser all awaken at the same moment in a cold sweat and simultaneously whisper, "Rosebud", which is Swedish slang for "I'm so glad my contract is guaranteed". Ottawa is rumored to be trying to trade the greatest player who will ever play for their franchise so they can simultaneously rid themselves of the worst speller who will ever play for their franchise, plus their owner is broke (as in, broke broke). Price, Weber...ugh....

But bellay, for there's hope!! There's a team out there that has little to no overpaid crap contracts! A team that is brimming with the bursting flower of youth, a team which after 40 days in the godforsaken desert of unstable ownership arrived, not at the icy northern wasteland insisted upon by ignorant fans everywhere, but the cool shores and sweet nectar of "BillionaireOwner-land".

They also have a kick ass lease.

What is this mystery team to which I'm referring? It is, of course, the Carolina Hurricanes! I pick them.

If that really isn't an option, Arizona, since they're the only one here that's inchoate. Vancouver is the best of the rest, their overpaid crap seems the easiest to sell off.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think I take Buffalo. It was close between them and Vancouver, but I think I could work with Eichel and Risto. Plus I see more room to grow in that division than the Pacific.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Our media and fanbase has been soft as hell towards our management outside of websites like this.

If Aquilini didn't exist I'd easily have picked Vancouver for this poll.

if they didn't exist we could have a cheap ass Melnyk type ownership so be grateful they are loaded and willing to pay to the cap. :rolleyes:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
if they didn't exist we could have a cheap ass Melnyk type ownership so be grateful they are loaded and willing to pay to the cap. :rolleyes:

We shouldn't be happy with an ownership doing the bare minimum just because others aren't.

This is like telling a Colombian street child to be happy with his life just because he isn't in North Korea.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Something about working for Detroit. Original 6 team, great fans, cool jerseys etc..
I would love to work there.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
well first choice would be the Canucks (homer vote), 2nd would probably be the Islanders cause they have a lot young and veteran pieces i could trade or build on.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
NYI- New York/Island great area.

Getting a new building.

They have some Nice young pieces led by Barzal.

New owners want to win and are willing to spend.

Competent management could take the team to the next level.

I’d clean house. Hire new coaching staff and add to the scouting and pro development departments.

If I take my home team out of it I probably choose Vancouver fallowed by Det

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Vancouver, simply because the rest of those places really suck to live in. And yes, I've been to them all.

Montreal is a pretty nice place to live in. A nice atmosphere, better food than the majority of North American cities, cheap cost of living, safe and lots of very good looking women ;)

Vancouver is a nicer city but way more expensive. I guess that's not a problem if you're a millionaire managing a pro hockey team.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad